What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Analog

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Analog » Tue May 23, 2017 10:01 am

ianpmarks wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 am
Analog wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 pm
i'm slowly working through seinfeld a few episodes at a time as its up on amazon. the show completely passed me by when it originally aired in the 90's, did a little bit of digging around and see a mention of how the bbc's scheduling was partly to blame as to why it never really picked up and got high viewing figures? shame it never took off the way f.r.i.e.n.d.s did in the uk as I think it's a better show.
Seinfeld is fantastic, probably one of the greatest sitcoms ever. Much better show than Friends. Its a far more dark and cynical show than the happy Friends world. By Season 3 when its really in its stride it is just superb. The character of George is a genius creation (apparently based on writer Larry David). If you love Curb Your Enthusiasm and have never watched Seinfeld then get onto Amazon Prime now. You won't regret it.
i'm at about season 5 now, yea I agree really good, the standup bits inbetween really help with the show too. never seen curb your enthusiasm, is that on amazon too?

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue May 23, 2017 10:33 am

My Dinner With André - directed by Louis Malle. It stars André Gregory and Wallace Shawn as two old friends who go to dinner and start a discussion of their differing world views. Much like what happens on this forum! :lol: Yeah - I know that it doesn't exactly sound like a riveting idea for a film, and it must be said that I do think that the first 30 minutes really drag, but afterwards they discuss some heavy subjects about life and the human condition - then it gets interesting. I don't think this film will be for everyone, but it's one of Malle's more interesting works.

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue May 23, 2017 10:54 am

Analog wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 10:01 am
ianpmarks wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 am
Analog wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 pm
i'm slowly working through seinfeld a few episodes at a time as its up on amazon. the show completely passed me by when it originally aired in the 90's, did a little bit of digging around and see a mention of how the bbc's scheduling was partly to blame as to why it never really picked up and got high viewing figures? shame it never took off the way f.r.i.e.n.d.s did in the uk as I think it's a better show.
Seinfeld is fantastic, probably one of the greatest sitcoms ever. Much better show than Friends. Its a far more dark and cynical show than the happy Friends world. By Season 3 when its really in its stride it is just superb. The character of George is a genius creation (apparently based on writer Larry David). If you love Curb Your Enthusiasm and have never watched Seinfeld then get onto Amazon Prime now. You won't regret it.
i'm at about season 5 now, yea I agree really good, the standup bits inbetween really help with the show too. never seen curb your enthusiasm, is that on amazon too?
Sadly I don't think it is.
Larry David (Seinfelds co creator) is just brilliant as a fictional version of himself in Curb your enthusiasm. The series where he tries to reunite the Seinfeld cast is very 'meta' but all the better for it. DVD's of it can be picked up fairly cheaply on eBay. If you like Seinfeld then it is a no brainer.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed May 24, 2017 7:38 am

Last night, I re-watched No Country For Old Men. I've only seen it once before, and just looked back at my original posting on this thread about it. Seems I sort of underrated it, it stands the test of time very well - I still think it's the best film that the Coen Brothers have ever made. Javier Bardem is fantastic, but then so is the rest of the cast : Josh Brolin(as a man clearly out of his depth), Woody Harrelson, Kelly Macdonald, Tommy Lee Jones and Tess Harper(yeah - "Mrs. Pinkman" from Breaking Bad is in it). Great atmosphere to the film - it's bleak to be sure, and shows you just how terrible life can be!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed May 24, 2017 10:49 am

Logan, superb film

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed May 24, 2017 4:07 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 10:49 am
Logan, superb film
Yep - seconded. I saw it a few weeks ago at the cinema. There's a "noir edition" out now on DVD, Blu Ray and 4K Blu Ray which is in black and white - it apparently adds a different atmosphere to it.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 pm

Buy normal blu ray, turn down colour on the telly...
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed May 24, 2017 5:11 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 pm
LOL. That's one way of doing it.

It's just in vogue at the moment - Mad Max : Fury Road also got similar treatment and a limited cinematic re-release as well.

stvd

Post by stvd » Wed May 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Some might say it's for the "art-house crowd", AKA pretentious tw@ts.

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Wed May 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Watched Blue Collar, for at least the 10th time tonight!!

Easily in my top 10 of all time - Richard Prior, Harvey Keitel, Yaphet Kotto - witten and directed by Paul Schrader.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077248/
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu May 25, 2017 5:54 am

I was tempted to go and watch Mad Max Black and Chrome purely because I didn't watch the colour version in the cinema, and felt a bit gutted to have missed it on the big screen. It's a fantastic action film, much much better than I expected it to be. But a) the "noir" is indeed a bit pretentious and wanky, and b) I don't think it would be the same without the colour anyway! But hey, I thought the film would be a bit rubbish as well originally, which is why I didn't bother. And I was wrong about that...

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Thu May 25, 2017 5:58 am

Rewatched Big trouble in little china again as the GF has not seen in.

Still enjoy it every time.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Thu May 25, 2017 7:19 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 5:11 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2017 4:56 pm
LOL. That's one way of doing it.

It's just in vogue at the moment - Mad Max : Fury Road also got similar treatment and a limited cinematic re-release as well.
Am I the only one who thought Fury Road was massively massively over-rated? To me it was pure spectacle and nothing else.......

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu May 25, 2017 7:50 am

It was an exhausting non-stop action-packed thriller. Not many films are full-on all of the way through - it's similar to Terminator 2 for me in that respect. But there aren't many others that don't lull at some point. And some of the cinematography is amazing. Of course, it's limited, there's only so much you can do with such a plot. But I loved it :D

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu May 25, 2017 12:00 pm

24 : Legacy - I got back into watching more of this. Still has the same sort of old formula. Carter as the main character is pretty good(although my heart still belongs to Jack Bauer). Got a few more episodes left for tonight.