What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by RodimusPrime » Sat May 20, 2017 6:19 am

Katzkatz wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:07 am
Suicide Squad - to finally see what all the fuss is about. Hmmmm. Yeah, rather like Batman versus Superman this is overlong, ponderous and doesn't really know what it's about in its narrative. The character interaction feels average at best.
I struggled to get through both films.

Love the Marvel stuff, but the recent DC stuff is just way behind.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat May 20, 2017 8:59 am

Passengers with Chris Pratt. Me and the missus really enjoyed it. While there's not much chemistry between the two leads the concept is great.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Sat May 20, 2017 1:15 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:08 am
Ryan GH wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 9:21 am
The Conjuring

Oh god, I regret watching this again. I am getting freaked out by shadows and noises during the night that I sleep with the lights on. No other movie has ever affected me like this!
I've watched countless horror movies over the years and this one freaked me out. Not can't sleep level freaked out, but pretty freaked out.

Spoiler alert

The bit where the ghost jumped off the wardrobe got me and the ghost behind the door

Is the sequel any good?
I've been wanting to watch a decent horror film for ages now but I haven't really enjoined one since this & Sinister.

Not seen the sequels of either of them as yet.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 pm
Found the entire series of Eerie Indiana The Other Dimension on Youtube (was uploaded the other month)

Its a hard series to find anywhere as I cant find it on DVD and was not uploaded anywhere online till recently
Thanks for that been wanting to watch that for a while. Nicely downloadable too. Pitty it's not HQ.

Was up to some crazy point last night watching the new Kimmy Schmitt. You have to like it!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat May 20, 2017 8:32 pm

So I went to see Alien : Covenant in IMAX. Well(long pause) - this is not good. Partly I think it comes down to the script - some of the dialogue is terrible - and there was one part of the film when a character said something so stupid that I laughed out loud in the cinema(I wasn't the only one). It sort of suffers from really talking down to the audience and sort of trying to spell things out to you - we're talking "Basil Exposition" from Austin Powers. I think there were a few nods to both Alien and Aliens in the movie - rather clumsy done. There's the potential from these films, unlike say with the Star Wars prequels to really flesh out the backstory and do something original with the franchise. There's sort of elements of Frankenstein's Monster in here - but again, not well executed. I couldn't help but leave the cinema disappointed. I just hope that the following sequel ups its game.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun May 21, 2017 3:16 am

So Samurai Jack just ended

the problem with having a almost rushed build up, is the ending will feel rushed as well
Carrot007 wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 7:21 pm
DPrinny wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 12:35 pm
Found the entire series of Eerie Indiana The Other Dimension on Youtube (was uploaded the other month)

Its a hard series to find anywhere as I cant find it on DVD and was not uploaded anywhere online till recently
Thanks for that been wanting to watch that for a while. Nicely downloadable too. Pitty it's not HQ.
Its one of those series that didnt come HD, quite a while before it
Im just glad it isn't a wanky VHS rip

Carrot007

Post by Carrot007 » Sun May 21, 2017 8:44 am

DPrinny wrote:
Sun May 21, 2017 3:16 am
Its one of those series that didnt come HD, quite a while before it
Im just glad it isn't a wanky VHS rip

Yeah you are right! I think I forgot how poor NTSC looks compared to PAL!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:01 am

Trainspotting 2

Ohhhh i so wanted this to be brilliant ! Glad they've got the original cast but not many stand out moments, soundtrack was pretty crap overall (one or two okay songs but NOTHING like the original soundtrack which was brilliant). Glad i watched it but glad i didnt buy it. Wont be OCD and buy this just so it sits nicely to my Trainspotting 1 dvd.

Three girls

Watched 2 of the 3 parts of this, excellent BBC1 drama, very shocking. Looking forward to the last episode tonight

The Following

Kevin bacons series on Amazon video. I've gone all legal ;) Enjoying this

Killjoys

Got so much to watch ! This is a series i 'discovered' recently, reminds me a 'bit' of Strontium Dog, as in they're bounty hunters going after people set in the future. Not as glossy as some big american shows but not bad so far (only watched two episodes) but i'll watch the rest of this

The Expanse

Got this to watch next ! Again so many shows !

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:20 am

The Following starts out well, but does get somewhat contrived and overly reliant on cops making really stupid decisions. I still watched them all though.

Killjoys is a lot of fun. I didn't like it much to begin with, but once you get into it's frothy mix of bounty hunting and conspiracies it is enjoyable. Very much light entertainment, I'd bracket it alongside new Who.

I Spit on Your Grave 2 was this weekend's flick. Alright, but takes a long time to get to the revenge stuff, not as good as the first. Quite unpleasant at times through that first half, but that's only to be expected, you know what you're going into with these. Ended up watching it after Mrs Ant decided that The Conjuring was too spooky just 20 minutes in.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Analog

Post by Analog » Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 pm

i'm slowly working through seinfeld a few episodes at a time as its up on amazon. the show completely passed me by when it originally aired in the 90's, did a little bit of digging around and see a mention of how the bbc's scheduling was partly to blame as to why it never really picked up and got high viewing figures? shame it never took off the way f.r.i.e.n.d.s did in the uk as I think it's a better show.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:57 pm

The Shallows, thought it was great, best shark film since Jaws

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon May 22, 2017 4:31 pm

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 3:57 pm
The Shallows, thought it was great, best shark film since Jaws
Def want to catch that one
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

dste

Post by dste » Mon May 22, 2017 6:07 pm

Alien: Covenant.

Meh, too hit and miss. Should have had the balls to do either a Prometheus sequel or an Alien prequel, not merge the two so that it doesn't really work. Two Fassbenders talking exposition whilst playing the flute for god knows how long was not needed. The 'twists' were painfully obvious, the characters yet again did dumb things and it suffered from TFAitis with homages, though at least it wasn't just a straight remake of Alien.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue May 23, 2017 2:28 am

dste wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 6:07 pm
though at least it wasn't just a straight remake of Alien.
It wasn't far off in places!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Tue May 23, 2017 2:47 am

Analog wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 2:47 pm
i'm slowly working through seinfeld a few episodes at a time as its up on amazon. the show completely passed me by when it originally aired in the 90's, did a little bit of digging around and see a mention of how the bbc's scheduling was partly to blame as to why it never really picked up and got high viewing figures? shame it never took off the way f.r.i.e.n.d.s did in the uk as I think it's a better show.
Seinfeld is fantastic, probably one of the greatest sitcoms ever. Much better show than Friends. Its a far more dark and cynical show than the happy Friends world. By Season 3 when its really in its stride it is just superb. The character of George is a genius creation (apparently based on writer Larry David). If you love Curb Your Enthusiasm and have never watched Seinfeld then get onto Amazon Prime now. You won't regret it.