What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by sscott » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:53 am

Hacksaw Ridge. Like a romantic snooze fest at the beginning... and then. Utterly brutal. Great movie and true story.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:13 pm

oh and i also watched TINKER BELL AND THE PIRATE FAIRY and DC SUPER HERO GIRLS too on monday.
that was FIVE movies yesterday!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:51 am

Some re-watches :-

War of the Worlds - Steven Spielberg's version with Tom Cruise and Elle Fanning. I had only seen it on its release at the cinema. It still holds up really well, and is a good update. Captures the post 9/11 mood well. Has the familiar family theme of other Spielberg movies. Manages to keep you excited and entertained all the way through it. A B movie that is from the master of them.

Babe - it's sort of unusual seeing animatronics being used in this, as we're so used to CGI nowadays. Holds really well. The animatronics are still very good. A good story, but perhaps not for young children - as some scenes might be scary for them. I suspect that the sequel is naff. I haven't seen that yet.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am

I was just thinking - Babe is probably David Cameron's favourite film. :lol: :wink: :D

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:56 am

Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea - starring Kirk Douglas, James Mason and Peter Lorre. The Disney live action film. It's okay - but not as good as the other live action films in their catologue. Some of the performances are quite dated. I have to however, that the special effects are very good - considering the technology available at the time - even the giant squid thing.

Star Trek : Beyond - I re-watched this last night. Yeah, it's the weakest of the reboot films - but it kept me entertained and interested. Good that people like Bones get a bit more screen time. There's some of the humour and characterisation of the old series in there. It's perhaps not big scale enough - feeling too much like a glorified TV episode. Idris Elba is also wasted a bit here.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:01 am

My better half wanted to see The Handmaiden. I had no idea what it was about but when she gave me an idea, I naturally agreed. Was actually really good (and not just those bits).

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:30 pm

thingonaspring wrote:My better half wanted to see The Handmaiden. I had no idea what it was about but when she gave me an idea, I naturally agreed. Was actually really good (and not just those bits).
Ahhh, I've hear about that. I was thinking about making a cinema trip to see it. I did like Stoker, which was from the same director. Plus, there certain bits which be eye-opening - as you say. :wink: :lol: :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm

Watched Lights Out this evening. Scared the crap out of my 8 year old. (just kidding, she came down at a jump scare moment :shock: and is sleeping with the lights ON :lol: )

Not a bad film - pretty predictable, but scared the wife so at least she got a little closer to me!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 pm

The first couple of episodes of Designated Survivor, decent enough.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:53 am

Katzkatz wrote:Ahhh, I've hear about that. I was thinking about making a cinema trip to see it. I did like Stoker, which was from the same director. Plus, there certain bits which be eye-opening - as you say. :wink: :lol: :D
I did really enjoy it, I knew nothing more about it going in than that side of things, so had no expectations really. That said, we watched it in an Everyman Cinema in Esher with nice comfy sofas. There were presumably a few people in the audience who were in the same boat, including "families" :lol:

There was one kid who didn't look old enough to be there (it's obviously rated an 18), but I remember a few cringeworthy moments on standard TV around that age which were embarassing enough to be "sharing" with my parents in the front room at home, let alone out in public at the cinema. We happened to follow them out of the cinema, and they were parked next to us in the car park. Watching them drive down the road and they still hadn't said a word to each other... :oops: :lol:

Then there were the two old grannies who walked out about 10 minutes from the end... muttering to themselves. And the middle-aged guy who was spending some quality time with just his son, who was very red-faced on the way out.

In hindsight it was just as enjoyable watching the people watching the film, as it was watching the film.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:51 am

thingonaspring wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Ahhh, I've hear about that. I was thinking about making a cinema trip to see it. I did like Stoker, which was from the same director. Plus, there certain bits which be eye-opening - as you say. :wink: :lol: :D
I did really enjoy it, I knew nothing more about it going in than that side of things, so had no expectations really. That said, we watched it in an Everyman Cinema in Esher with nice comfy sofas. There were presumably a few people in the audience who were in the same boat, including "families" :lol:

There was one kid who didn't look old enough to be there (it's obviously rated an 18), but I remember a few cringeworthy moments on standard TV around that age which were embarassing enough to be "sharing" with my parents in the front room at home, let alone out in public at the cinema. We happened to follow them out of the cinema, and they were parked next to us in the car park. Watching them drive down the road and they still hadn't said a word to each other... :oops: :lol:

Then there were the two old grannies who walked out about 10 minutes from the end... muttering to themselves. And the middle-aged guy who was spending some quality time with just his son, who was very red-faced on the way out.

In hindsight it was just as enjoyable watching the people watching the film, as it was watching the film.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's quite an amusing cinema experience. I sort of wish that I had been there to see that! :lol:

It does make you wonder, it's not like there aren't things called film certificates, and also nowadays there's a lot more information - for instance, the BBFC site has a special section for parents giving out more information about a film's content.

Still, it must have been funny.

Check out the director's(Chan-wook Park) other work. He did Oldboy(the original version) and Stoker - they're both interesting films.

Anyway, last night's viewing :-

The Conversation - directed by Francis Ford Coppola and starring Gene Hackman as Harry Caul, who is a talented surveillance tapper. A classic film from the 1970s. I watched the remixed surround sound version off of Sky, and as the film does feature the use of sound in its storyline - it very, very good that this has happened. Look out for a young Harrison Ford as well. Still great after all these years. Really makes me want a reel-to-reel tape machine now as well.

The Lion King - from Disney. The first time I have ever actually seen it. It's okay, I think it's a bit of overrated. The songs in it are probably more memorable. I think the main reason why perhaps I just thought it was okay, was the fact that it's storyline is very similar to Bambi, and that did it a lot better.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:46 am

Beauty and the Beast - the original animated Disney one. Pretty decent outing from Disney. You can sort of see they were trying to push the whole princess/feminist agenda more in these outings. Some decent musical numbers - it's interesting that these films were sort of seen as musicals when they were released.

The Little Mermaid - another offering from Disney. "Darling it's better, down where it's wetter - under the sea!" - that's a pretty bit from the song. :D Based on a tale by Hans Christian Anderson. I actually enjoyed this more than Beauty and the Beast - I think the side characters were a bit more interesting. I suppose this was the film that sort of sparked Disney's 1990s renaissance.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:11 am

Katzkatz wrote:it's interesting that these films were sort of seen as musicals when they were released.
What else would they be considered as? People randomly break into song about how they're feeling or what they're doing for no apparent reason, and nobody bats an eyelid. Pure musical stuff, the sort I can't abide. I can cope with musicals about music, where people sing because they're singing, but this weird singing out of place thing doesn't sit right with me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:07 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:it's interesting that these films were sort of seen as musicals when they were released.
What else would they be considered as? People randomly break into song about how they're feeling or what they're doing for no apparent reason, and nobody bats an eyelid. Pure musical stuff, the sort I can't abide. I can cope with musicals about music, where people sing because they're singing, but this weird singing out of place thing doesn't sit right with me.
It's just because musicals were sort of out of fashion at the time - that why I commented it on. They sort of took their place - albeit in animated form.

Anyway, last night's viewing :-

The Place Beyond the Pines - Rylan Gosling plays a low life motorcycle rider who gets involved in bank robberies to support his rather dreary lifestyle. The film then changes tact about halfway through. The film never really sort of grabs you emotionally, and I'm getting a bit bored of Gosling's "mysterious stranger" act. It's far too long as well.

Mulholland Drive - from David Lynch. This has got a cinema re-release and it's also on Amazon Prime for free at the moment. I do have on DVD. A re-watch. I'll admit that I don't understand everything that is going on in this film, but I do have to say that despite the fact that it's 2 hours and 21 minutes long - I was gripped for the most part. It does get very difficult to understand about 3/4 of the way through. I did enjoy the film even more on this recent re-watch.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:05 pm

This weeks Samurai Jack
A more or less call back episode as people of the past that he helped where shown
Its to bad that

Aishi stopped Jack from offing him self after becoming reborn after seeing all the good he has done
I hopped that the Scottsman would of saved him by ranting some sense into him, th

Also, Aishi dont ware a body suit