What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:09 pm

mr jenzie wrote:
and i bought THE FORCE AWAKENS COLLECTORS EDITION today too
did a lot today 8)
Is that the 12 inch size box one - much like an old LP or Laserdisc than Disney have started releasing - and with things like little pictures of scenes from the film, inside the packaging? I think I've seen a YouTube video of them.

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
mr jenzie wrote:
did a lot today 8)
Is that the 12 inch size box one - much like an old LP or Laserdisc than Disney have started releasing - and with things like little pictures of scenes from the film, inside the packaging? I think I've seen a YouTube video of them.
and a nice hologram cover too :P

waited until i had birthday monies and bought it, especially for the commentary, which i'll watch with it on tomorrow

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:09 pm

Tokarev starring Nic cage. Fairly passable revenge movie that did not out stay it's 90 min run time.

The Exterminator. Not seen this cult classic of a Vietnam vet turned vigilante for years.

Nightmares of a damaged brain. Like a lot of the old video nasties it's not a great film, but now it's a available uncut I thought I would give it a watch. It has a couple of scenes still worth seeing today but as a whole not something I will feel the need to watch again.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:30 am

mr jenzie wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:
mr jenzie wrote:
did a lot today 8)
and a nice hologram cover too :P

waited until i had birthday monies and bought it, especially for the commentary, which i'll watch with it on tomorrow

Wow. I hadn't seen that version until now. Looks really good.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:23 am

Supersonic - the documentary on Oasis. I'm not a great fan of their work - but I did find this interesting and well made.

Blue Jasmine - directed by Woody Allen and starring Cate Blanchlett and Sally Hawkins. It's sort of a re-working of A Streetcar Named Desire. Blanchlett and Hawkins are sisters - Blanchlett's character's husband has committed suicide whilst in jail for financial wrong doings, and Blanchlett goes to stay with her sister. Strong performances, but the film is difficult to actually like. I had seen it at the cinema on its release.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:48 am

I watched Rogue One for the first time yesterday and have to say I think it was a better movie that The Force Awakens - which I also enjoyed.
It was grittier and seemed to have a more urgent, serious tone to it. I enjoyed it... the effects seemed very fresh too. Peter Cushing's CGI was good but Leia's at the end was naff. She looked like Fiona from Shrek :lol:
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:36 am

gman72 wrote:I watched Rogue One for the first time yesterday and have to say I think it was a better movie that The Force Awakens - which I also enjoyed.
It was grittier and seemed to have a more urgent, serious tone to it. I enjoyed it... the effects seemed very fresh too. Peter Cushing's CGI was good but Leia's at the end was naff. She looked like Fiona from Shrek :lol:
Fiona from shrek! :lol: :lol: At least - it wasn't "Donkey"! :lol:

Yeah, I liked Rogue One a lot. Perhaps, a bit too much planet hopping at the beginning - but I think one of the things that makes the film stand out(much more so that The Force Awakens) was that they had a blank canvas to write on and produce an original story in the Star Wars universe. Like you also said - it had a grittiness that was missing in the former film - and I also liked that. Plus, I liked the droid - he stole the show for me(K2-SO).

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:01 am

Tender Mercies - with Robert Duvall as a former alcoholic Country and Western singer, who tries to make a new life with his new wife and stepson, as well as reconnect with his daughter. A sort of character study. Reminds me a little bit of Crazy Heart which was made only a few years ago(and also stars Duvall). Good subtle performance from Duvall and he does a convincing job of the singing and music. A small film, but worth watching for Duvall.

aztecca

Post by aztecca » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:32 am

Watched This is England followed by dead mans shoes on film four last night.I have seen them both before but not for a while Shane meadows is such a great director and the soundtracks are always great on his movies.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:43 am

Another cult horror film for me as I managed to get hold of the Arrow special blu ray release of Bride of Re-animator.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:53 am

Picked up a bluray of Hell comes to Frogtown in Poundland wasn't familiar with this film but Roddy Piper was in.. After watching it not sure what to make off it :roll: Pipers a prisoner of the women who now run the USA after a nuclear war, and the human race is in danger of extinction due to infertility. Piper is running around with a bomb attached to his old boy (pair of metal Chasity pants) which will explode if he gets to far away from his female guard. He has to impregnate fertile women who are held captive in Frogtown by giant humanoid frogs and a guy in a mask who looks like Pyscho Mantis.. Girls are forced to undergo 'the trail of the 3 snakes' which is a toad with um 3 eyes and he's blind in all 3 of them.. Piper gets raped by a frog, and the woman who played the Queen on Red Sonia has to err lap dance for a frog to err get his 3 censored horny before she kicks him in the nuts three times! Did I really see that?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:36 pm

Watched the new Ghostbusters film. I had grave doubts , but tried to have an open mind. Watched about the first 30 mins before deciding it was **** beyond redemption and watched the original. Still a great movie, but I realise even more that a lot of it is down to Murrays performance.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:39 am

Two Days, One Night - a French drama with Marion Cotillard. It's the tale of a factory work who learns that she is going to be made redundant when he fellow co-workers have opted for a bonus and she tries to convince them otherwise. Interesting character study and compelling performance from Cotillard.

Hue and Cry - an Ealing comedy, that I hadn't seen until now. It's the tale of a group of children who uncover a plot involving a criminal gang and a robbery. It's a bit dated. Alistair Sim has a small part in it. It's okay - but it's one of the lesser works from Ealing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:54 am

paranoid marvin wrote:Watched the new Ghostbusters film. I had grave doubts , but tried to have an open mind. Watched about the first 30 mins before deciding it was **** beyond redemption.
It gets better toward the end. It's still a bad movie for all sorts of reasons (a female cast not being one of them, though some of the casting choices for those females is), but the early part doesn't represent the movie in total. I stuck with it so I could at least have a fully informed opinion.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:Watched the new Ghostbusters film. I had grave doubts , but tried to have an open mind. Watched about the first 30 mins before deciding it was **** beyond redemption.
It gets better toward the end. It's still a bad movie for all sorts of reasons (a female cast not being one of them, though some of the casting choices for those females is), but the early part doesn't represent the movie in total. I stuck with it so I could at least have a fully informed opinion.
Wonton f**king soup anyone?