What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Negative Creep

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:38 pm

Recently watched:

The Magnificent Seven (new one) - very enjoyable Western with a suitably over the top final action scene

Lights Out - very simple concept, a ghost that can only move in the dark, well made with good scares

The Girl With All The Gifts - slow start but a decent twist on what is now a tired zombie genre

o/t but I really miss the IMDB message boards :( lots of idiots and trolls but some great discussions hidden amongst them

dste

Post by dste » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:10 pm

Santa Clarita Diet.

Was quite humourous and graphic.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:50 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
Watched tge first episode of the new series 24 Legacy. Thought id miss Jack Bauer..but i dont, the first episode was packed with excitement without overdoing the stupidity that jack sometimes did...im enjoying it.
Yeah, I watched some episodes of this yesterday night. It's pretty good. Eric Carter makes an interesting central character. Good to see CTU back and has the familiar elements in place.

I also watched The Raven with John Cusack and Alice Eve. It's sort of a fictionalised account of Edgar Allen Poe's last days. He on the hunt for a serial killer. Sort of a gothic thriller. Lots of style to it and actually a surprising amount of violence(more than I was expecting). Perhaps a little bit too long. Interesting, but I don't think all the film works.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Been watching Sneaky Pete with Mrs Rocky, really enjoying it :)
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:32 am

Sphere - based on a book by Michael Crichton and starring Dustin Hoffman, Sharon Stone and Samuel L. Jackson. I think I had seen this on Channel 5 years ago - but I had forgotten most of it. A group of scientists are sent to investigate an alien spacecraft that crashed into the sea about 300 years ago and inside it is a mysterious sphere. Sort of has elements of The Abyss and Event Horizon to it. As a sci-fi thriller - I quite liked it. Nothing especially original - but it kept my interest for long enough.

The Raid - I finally got around to viewing this. It really is a full-on action film. The fight scenes remind of Bruce Lee's films. Set in Indonesia, a SWAT team is set into a high rise building to take out the criminal gang that controls it. There aren't really many twists in the film's story - but there are a few. I suppose you do get emotionally involved with some of the characters.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:19 am

I finally got around to watching Gravity - albeit, only in 2D. Still, you do get a sense of wonder from the visuals. Yes, ultimately it is just a B movie along the lines of a disaster type film - but, I do have to say that the director knew how to ramp up the tension for the whole of the 90 minutes - that's perhaps the most impressive part of the film. I did enjoy it - going have to catch it in 3D one of these days.
Last edited by Katzkatz on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:55 am

Katzkatz wrote:I finally got around to watching Gravity - albeit, only in 2D. Still, you do get a sense of wonder from the visuals. Yes, ultimately it is just a B movie along the lines of a disaster type film - but, I do have to say that the director knew how to ramp up the tense for the whole of the 90 minutes - that's perhaps the most impressive part of the film. I did enjoy it - going have to catch it in 3D one of these days.
Yeah its a good little movie, and having watched it in 3d, I can say that it does look really good, especially the first part.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:37 pm

Watched "Monster brawl" last night
It was actually entertaining, in a b-movie way

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:47 am

Been watching the battle for ctrl (Halt and Catch Fire), I am 6 episodes in and really enjoying it
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:00 pm

Bone Tomahawk - had been looking forward to seeing this for a while but came away really disappointed. I like the concept but for a lot of the film absolutely nothing happens. The whole middle portion is just people walking through the desert with no sort of tension or urgency.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:28 pm

Titan find/Creature
Basically an Alien rip off, kinda entertaining, also uses sounds from Star wars

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:10 am

Sky Arts has had a doc series called "the seventies" which was interesting and now theyve had a series on "the eighties"... its produced by Tom Hanks and he gives some of his views too, there are various episodes like the Aids outbreak, MTV etc. Episode 8 is on technology and includes stuff on VHS, the arrival of home gaming and computing. Pretty good although obviously aimed at american audiences.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:26 am

just watched the finale of Season 2 of Fortitude, and I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. Enjoyed the whole of the first season, and the second was going along nicely, til it went a bit over the top and ridiculous. And not really satisfied with the ending.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:26 am

Watched a short series on Netflix called Nightmare High. It's a supernatural programme about a substitute teacher who can grant the wishes/desires of the students but it always comes with a twist. It was only twelve episodes which ranged between 12-20 minutes long and what was really good was that there were no episode descriptions so I didn't know anything about the next episode going in.

I quite liked it and think it is worth a watch for what it is.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

merman

Post by merman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:07 pm

Really enjoying the third series of Inside No. 9.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube