What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Sel Feena

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:33 am

Hardcore Henry
Some really excellent sequences, padded out with some boring stretches. Was kind of hoping for a first-person version of Crank

Interstellar
Loved the effects, and the overall feel of the film was great, but Jesus Christ. Felt like you could slice an hour off, easy.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:17 am

Just finished up Timesless on Netflix really enjoyed it. Fingers crossed for a second series
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:07 am

Eye in the Sky - A thriller commenting about drone attacks. It stars the late great Alan(Mr. Hans Gruber and the Sheriff of Nottingham) Rickman, Helen Mirren and Aaron Paul(everyone's favourite crystal meth addict Jesse Pinkman from Breaking Bad). Quite tense in places and good that it tackles such a topical issue. Good performances. It also manages to make telephone conversations that are filmed look interesting.

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:22 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Eye in the Sky - .........
Trailer looked interesting (so it did it's job, I suppose) but implausible tripe.
Two drone pilots suddenly decide that the death of one civilian isn't "right", disobey a direct order and don't suffer any consequences for it? Really?

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:28 am

Started watching through Penny Dreadful, missed it up until now, but wanted to watch it from when it was first around. So far so good, and have three seasons to go through if it carries on ok.

Tried to watch Netflix "Frontier" - with Jason Momoa. Seems his Khal Drogo was good because he didn't need to speak much. Not the most convincing of actors in this... amongst a few others, in fact, which means I'll pass on the rest. It suffers the same as Black Sails - the bad acting puts you off the good bits too much to make it enjoyable.

Also taking the kids to see Sing this weekend. Feels like they've been watching the trailers for about 6 months.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:40 am

Perselopis - an adult animation about one woman's escape from the revolution in Iran. I always find adult animations difficult to sort of watch(although I thought Checo and Rita was pretty good). This however, isn't quite as clever as thinks it is. A bit pretentious in places.

The Punisher - the 2004 version with Thomas Jane as the title character. I had seen the Dolph Lungren version(which I thought was okay). This however, well - it's bit meh. I can't say I got into it. It has got John Travolta hamming it up as the bad guy. There's a film from 2008 as well, and I think there's a new TV series in the works.

lupogtiboy

Post by lupogtiboy » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:17 am

Katzkatz wrote: The Punisher - the 2004 version with Thomas Jane as the title character. I had seen the Dolph Lungren version(which I thought was okay). This however, well - it's bit meh. I can't say I got into it. It has got John Travolta hamming it up as the bad guy. There's a film from 2008 as well, and I think there's a new TV series in the works.
I quite like this film, its one of those 'switch your brain off' flicks, bit like most Arnie films.

I managed to watch Logun's Run all the way through and actually quite enjoyed it. Peter Ustinov is worth watching it for alone!
Its small, its fast, its just gone past! www.clublupo.co.uk

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:32 am

Re-watching Black Books and still finding it funny.

Also

Winterwatch - no one ever mentions it and I know its not thrill a minute stuff , but I find it interesting and makes me want to get out with my camera again.
Deadpool - watching again on a smaller screen doesnt detract from my entertainment. Still not a bad film
Scott pilgrim.. - first time my son has seen it and despite a few slightly uncomfortable moments (for us) it was still as good as i remember.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:07 pm

The Grand Tour - the latest episode. They tested three luxury SUVs from Range Rover, Jaguar and Bentley in a rather risqué road trip in Europe. You'll know what I mean when you watch it. :lol: Jeremy also reviewed another Lexus - he seems to love them nowadays. They also had more "Celebrity Brain Crash" - "Is he/she not coming on then?" "No James. He/she has been blown-up/electrocuted/crushed to death, etc." - you know the score. :lol:

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:02 am

Take the 10

A Netflix film that didn't really know what it wanted to be. Was quite short so just got through it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:23 am

The Sword in the Stone - perhaps overlooked in Disney's canon. It's quite short at 90 minutes and runs at a brisk pace. A pretty decent animation from them.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:28 am

Kick Ass 2. Not nearly as good as the first, lulls a bit throughout, but ok.

The Hateful Eight. 20 minutes of story stretched out to almost 3 hours, a real snoozefest. I wouldn't bother if I were you, there's really nothing to see here.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:41 am

Lala Land.
After a terrible first 15 minutes, the rest I really enjoyed.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:31 am

Watched The Martian and SING over the weekend. Thoroughly enjoyed both, for different reasons.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:02 pm

The To Do List starring Aubrey Plaza.

Plaza stars as a woman about to head to College who lacks sexual experience so decides to make up for it. Decent cast but the film was only OK.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!