What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Westworld season 1 finale. I did not see some of that coming.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:23 am

Channel 153 on sky has a channel called Vice which has a lot of documentary "louis theroux" type programmes.

One ive been watching which is available on demand is called Hate Thy Neighbour... Involves a comedian called Jamali Maddix spending time with some seriously damaged and dangerous religious or prejudicial groups. Theyre quite eye opening really.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:13 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Westworld season 1 finale. I did not see some of that coming.
SPOILERSIt's a shame that Anthony Hopkins' character was killed off. It was great seeing him back in a decent role; both he and Ed Harris stole the show for me.

Can't wait for the next season.

Anyway, last night I managed to watch the final two episodes from season 2 of Humans. A pretty good ending for this season. I think there's a season 3 according to IMDB. At least I hope so.

dste

Post by dste » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:14 pm

Cowboys and Aliens.

Slightly better than I thought it was going to be but was too long and massively cliched.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:18 pm

season finale of The Strain, pretty good, and have read that they have commissioned a 4th and final series.

Never quite sure what to make of it, despite sticking with it for three series! it's good, but none of the key characters are that likeable to the point where I'm not really bothered if they kill them off.

Will be good to see how they wrap it all up, but it's never quite lived up to it's early potential, should have made it darker.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:49 am

About half way through watching Westworld at the moment. I'm really enjoying it but know a lot of people who switched off after a couple. Some of the scenery is making me want RDR2 asap too :D

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:10 am

Die Hard on Tuesday. Yesterday was Lethal Weapon, Die Hard 2, Just Friends, then finished on the non-christmassy Now You See Me 2 which was a bit rubbish and not a patch on the first. It was marginally better than Just Friends though. How that one made it into a Top 100 Christmas Movies list I don't know.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:29 am

Mr. Nobody - if you thought that Cloud Atlas was an out there film - then don't watch this. Sort of a time traveling film with Jared Leto's character as the last mortal human on Earth and retelling his life story to a reporter. Hmmm, yeah - it does verge on the pretentious at times. Probably not going to be for everyone - and far too long at 2 hours and 36 minutes.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:51 am

The Grand Tour - episode 6 - A Very Finnish Xmas. The latest one. It's good that they usually pop this on Amazon Prime early at around 23:30 on the Thursday night. This time around, they were in Finland. Richard got his hands on the first Ford Mustang to be officially sold in the UK, and Jeremy compared it to the Ford Focus RS. They also showed off some risqué Xmas presents. Then there was an interesting film on the Ford GT at Le Mans and its epic battle with Ferrari. That reminded me a bit of the old history films that Top Gear used to do(think back to the Saab and Peugeot ones). There was also another little dig at Chris Evans this week(see if you can spot it). A pretty decent episode, I enjoyed it more than last week's one.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:55 am

necronom wrote:I've been watching some of S3 of Black Mirror.
Ep. 4 - Ermm, THE EIGHTIES! A massive nod to Flynn's Arcade (Tron), A GTA reference, Bubble Bobble (and others), a bit 'Tech Noir', and a track list, which includes these:
Just watched this episode last night... it wasn't so much the 80s bit, but the later 90s bit that made me feel oh so old. What a brilliant episode.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:28 am

Zootropolis - one of the newest CGI films from Disney and John Lasseter. It's the tale of a rabbit(Judy Hops) and a sly fox who have to find a missing otter in the city of Zootropolis. Actually pretty decent and has a strong moral message about tolerating different races. There's a massive Breaking Bad reference in there(strange sort of thing to put into a family film like this - but I think it's more sort of aimed for adults watching it, and it was quite fun to know what it was).

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:46 pm

Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas- Typically I boost the Xmas DVD/Blu Ray collection over December, but as money was tight this year, this £2 import will have to do this year. :lol: Pretty meh even by Inspector Gadget standards but a good laugh in places like the idea of Dr Claw doing a "ruining Christmas" evil plot by dressing up as Santa and taking over Santa's workshop, and the elves sounding like they're swearing throughout. :lol:

Ah well, 3 bonus episodes too..... :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:56 pm

Finding Dory - It was OK more like a remake of Nemo
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:09 pm

80s films on VHS feels right
ALK wrote:Inspector Gadget Saves Christmas- Typically I boost the Xmas DVD/Blu Ray collection over December, but as money was tight this year, this £2 import will have to do this year. :lol: Pretty meh even by Inspector Gadget standards but a good laugh in places like the idea of Dr Claw doing a "ruining Christmas" evil plot by dressing up as Santa and taking over Santa's workshop, and the elves sounding like they're swearing throughout. :lol:

Ah well, 3 bonus episodes too..... :lol:
Pennys voice..................

(only know about it from Nostagia critic)

ALK

Post by ALK » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:49 pm

Pennys voice..................

(only know about it from Nostagia critic)
"DAT'S GOOOD!" :lol:

Same here, saw NC's review of it, saw it was a £2 DVD on Amazon and just figured "screw it" and called it my addition to Xmas DVDs/Blu Rays this year. :lol:
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.