What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:46 pm

I went animation crazy last night. Here's what I watched :-

Shaun the Sheep Movie - the full length movie with the characters from Aardman Animations. It's very much like a silent film - there's no discernible dialogue to speak of. I did like it, but I think that the "Wallace and Grommit" characters are stronger - the set-pieces in this film were interesting, but not as well executed as in previous Aardman stuff. I also think it could have done with losing about 30 minutes. Good - but I suspect aimed more for younger kids.

The Good Dinosaur - from Pixar. An orphaned dinosaur finds a friend in a primitive human being. He has to make his way back home. Not much here new, in story form - and we have seen it done much better before. There's a few new interesting bits of animation. Not one of Pixar's finest. Okay - but don't go out of your way to watch it.

Inside Out - another from Pixar and a re-watch for me, as I had seen at the cinema. Still holds up really well. Like any good family movie, there's stuff for both young and old alike. Says a lot about growing up, children and memories. Has a bittersweetness to it. Good to see Pixar back on form with it. Great characters as well - my favourite emotion is "Disgust" - I just like her style.

Riley's First Date - a Pixar short that uses the characters from Inside Out. Okay, but like a lot of Pixar's shorts it's just filler rather than the full bloodied story that you get from their films.

Song of the Sea - an animation from Irish studio "Cartoon Salon". It has a similar style to "Studio Ghibli's" work, in its look and animation. I had seen it the cinema, when it was released and so, it was another re-watch. I think it's based on an ancient Irish fairy story. Ben and his young sister(who can turn into a seal) go on an adventure to free fairies and save the spirit world. There's similar themes to Inside Out, what with children dealing with new circumstances. Enchanting tale as well. Hopefully, this animation studio will continue to put out this type of quality film.

So, I done all forms of animation : stop motion, cartoon and CGI. :D

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:18 am

Last night's viewing was monster based. Here's what I watched :-

Krampus - been meaning to see this for some time now. Based on the German folklore of "Krampus"(he's basically an evil Santa for bad children). It's sort of a horror film set at Xmas - much like Gremlins and shares a lot of the same themes and feelings. There's stuff about families in there. Quite a decent little horror flick - I quite liked it.

Godzilla - the 1998 version with added Matthew Broderick. I hadn't seen this version before. It's from the same guys who did Independence Day, and to a certain extent you can see they are trying to repeat the same sort of formula, in making another B movie. It's sort of okay - but you know I think Independence Day is their best film and I also the more recent Godzilla film, whilst not great, was better than this.

Jurassic Park - the original. I remember having to wait back in 1993, whilst all the hype and cinema queues had died down to actually watch this. Now, this is how you make a summer blockbuster with dinosaurs(take note Matthew Broderick Godzilla). Great music(I love John Williams' theme for this - it's so rousing), the CGI dinosaurs still look great, tense scenes(the one with the kids and the 'raptors is the best, in my opinion), decent storyline(the whole man versus mother nature is interesting) and a great cast(Jeff Goldblum doing his mad scientist routine, Sam Neill and Laura Dern as more down to Earth characters, the late Bob Peck as the game hunter, a pre-fame Samuel L. Jackson, Wayne Knight playing a sleazeball and even the late great Sir Dicky Attenborough). Perhaps it doesn't quite match something like Jaws or Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it's still quite an accomplishment from Spielberg. Shame that it got milked for sequels(although the recent Jurassic World was okay - but nothing like this).

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:48 am

Walking Dead episode two, nice change of pace after the brutal opening

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:50 am

Katzkatz wrote:Jurassic Park Great music(I love John Williams' theme for this - it's so rousing).
One of the best scores in my opinion. They did a "live orchestra" screening at the Royal Albert Hall the other day. I was busy, and it was £60 a ticket, so I passed. Maybe one day.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:35 pm

The most amazing thing about Jurassic Park is how little of it was CGI. Stan Winston did some amazing things.

Big Shoes

Post by Big Shoes » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:55 pm

Dr Strange in IMAX 3D, it was really good and the effects were amazing.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:53 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Jurassic Park - the original. I remember having to wait back in 1993, whilst all the hype and cinema queues had died down to actually watch this. Now, this is how you make a summer blockbuster with dinosaurs(take note Matthew Broderick Godzilla). Great music(I love John Williams' theme for this - it's so rousing), the CGI dinosaurs still look great, tense scenes(the one with the kids and the 'raptors is the best, in my opinion), decent storyline(the whole man versus mother nature is interesting) and a great cast(Jeff Goldblum doing his mad scientist routine, Sam Neill and Laura Dern as more down to Earth characters, the late Bob Peck as the game hunter, a pre-fame Samuel L. Jackson, Wayne Knight playing a sleazeball and even the late great Sir Dicky Attenborough). Perhaps it doesn't quite match something like Jaws or Raiders of the Lost Ark, but it's still quite an accomplishment from Spielberg. Shame that it got milked for sequels(although the recent Jurassic World was okay - but nothing like this).
To be fair, Lost World is a decent sequel that was at least based on a Michael Crichton book (as was the original movie) and only changed the ending to add a bit more 'Hollywood' to the formula.

Jurassic Park III was the first of the "money-grabbing" sequels and is incredibly average and forgettable.

Haven't seen World yet.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:24 am

Megamixer wrote:To be fair, Lost World is a decent sequel that was at least based on a Michael Crichton book (as was the original movie) and only changed the ending to add a bit more 'Hollywood' to the formula.
A bit?! The film is damn entertaining, mind you. I remember having to sit in the front row when I went to see it and I still enjoyed it despite the aching neck.
Megamixer wrote:Haven't seen World yet.
World is pretty good, I thought.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:08 am

theantmeister wrote:
Megamixer wrote:To be fair, Lost World is a decent sequel that was at least based on a Michael Crichton book (as was the original movie) and only changed the ending to add a bit more 'Hollywood' to the formula.
A bit?! The film is damn entertaining, mind you. I remember having to sit in the front row when I went to see it and I still enjoyed it despite the aching neck.
Yeah, Lost World is a great film, also starring the always excellent Pete Postlethwaite.

Btw Jurassic Park 3D is the best film I've seen using that format.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:04 am

might have to watch Lost World again. I only saw it (and not even all of it) once, and thought it looked a real let-down disappointment after the first, I didn't bother again. Saw literally snippets of 3 before giving up on it because of itv2 ad breaks. really enjoyed World at the cinema though :D

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Nov 10, 2016 10:27 am

theantmeister wrote:The most amazing thing about Jurassic Park is how little of it was CGI. Stan Winston did some amazing things.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that his animatronic work still looked amazing in the film.

Anyway, last night's viewing :-

The Crow - with Brandon Lee. I suppose this film is infamous for his death. I had never seen it before. It's based on a comic book. A man comes back from the dead to avenge both his and his girlfriend's death, which was cause by a gang of criminals. Great visual style, but not much substance to the rest of the film.

Wurthering Heights - the 2011 version. It's different because it features a coloured man as Heathcliff. Interesting that they did this. It's almost shot in documentary style. Bleak in its tone. Perhaps not the best version that I have seen, but worth watching just to see a different interpretation of the story.

The Panic in Needle Park - one of Mr. Pacino's first films. He plays a small time thief and drug addict, who gets his girlfriend hooked on drugs. Worth watching to see the 1970s era of New York and also Pacino before he hit the big time.

joefish

Post by joefish » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:58 am

theantmeister wrote:
The ending seems a bit tacked-on. It's OK, but there's a definite sense of 'hasn't it finished yet? Oh, go on then, if you must...' when it kicks in. Most of that bit was a copy of the 1998 remake of Mighty Joe Young anyway, just without Charlize Theron in that dress.
theantmeister wrote:
Stupidest plot ever. But I was intrigued by the trailer... ;)

ALK

Post by ALK » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:26 pm

Dr Strange- Amazing visuals and the usual Marval goodness. Wish I saw it in 3D but the one 3D showing was a 4 hour wait...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Katzkatz wrote:The Crow - with Brandon Lee. I suppose this film is infamous for his death. I had never seen it before. It's based on a comic book. A man comes back from the dead to avenge both his and his girlfriend's death, which was cause by a gang of criminals. Great visual style, but not much substance to the rest of the film.
One of my favourite films! Really beautiful end credits song as well ('It can't rain all the time').

Haven't dared to soil my fondness for the movie by watching the (apparently) woeful sequels.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:05 pm

theantmeister wrote:
I'd question how close to the book the rest of the film is too!

I thought Jurassic World was pants to be honest, as bad as 3.

Been watching Stargate SG1 for a while now, up to season 6. It has less charm as the seasons go by, but at least it has more story than the 'go to planet x which is populated by historical Earth culture x' formula the earlier ones had, presumably due to budget constraints.