What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:47 am

Behind the Candelabra - biopic of Liberace with Michael Douglas in the lead role. It co-stars Matt Damon. Interesting to see this story being told. Nothing particularly original - it sort of muses on fame and how some people can be isolated by it. Good performances by Douglas and Damon.

Before I Go to Sleep - A thriller starring Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth and Mark Strong. Kidman plays an amnesiac - who has to remember her life each day and start again. Feels a bit like Memento , but not as good. A pretty decent enough thriller.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:11 am

Last night's viewing :-

Red Dwarf XI - the one where the Cat falls in love. Pretty good - but there was more recycling some what of storylines - for example SPOILERSsomeone falling pregnant was done way back in season 2 with Lister. This time it was the Cat

Remember - directed by Atom Egoyan(The Sweet Hereafter) and starring Christopher Plummer and Martin Landau. An elderly Auschwitz survivour goes in search of the man who killed his family all those years ago. It plays out like a road movie in some places. Pretty interesting film which deals with aging, memories and revenge.

Chloë - directed by Atom Egoyan(again). Starring Liam Neeson and Julianne Moore. They play a married couple, and Moore's character suspects that her husband is being unfaithful. Plays out somewhere in-between a drama and thriller. Okay, but I've seen better films from Egoyan.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:52 pm

I bit the bullet and watched Ghostbusters. I wasn't wrong. A few thoughts

- Every man in the film is a censored or an idiot. I know I'm not the first person to make this observation, but once you see it you can't unsee it

- No one acts in a realistic manner, from small things like a subway worker walking along the tracks to that whole crowd at the concert celebrating instead of running in panic. Or the bit with the Police after Bill Murray's cameo (boy you could see he did not want to be there). Shouldn't you be arresting them?

- No sense of peril or tension. No one ever seems scared or amazed by what they're seeing. Like the scene with the mannequin coming to life that could have been creepy were it not for the fact that Patty just walked around talk to herself for no reason.

- Most of it seems improved, and not in a good way. Anything with the potential to be funny gets ruined by being carried on too long, repeated or over explained. Whole scenes just drag on too long, go nowhere or suddenly cut away.

- I've no idea what Kate McKinnon was going for, but she was incredibly annoying and acted in a way no human would. The writers seem to think the audience are idiots so will take someone throwing out a bunch of random scientific terms as intelligence

- Speaking of which, Chris Hemsworth was so stupid he looked like he had a mental illness. Although I will say he gave me the one laugh I had in this film when saying he took the lenses out of his glasses because they kept getting dirty.

- Awful villain who they give up on halfway though the film and is a very obvious dig at the nerd fanboy stereotype

- What the hell was the scene with the military about? It looks like it's going to turn into some sort of bizarre dance number, then just stops

- The worst part however is what they've done to the theme song. Just horrific.

It's bad folks. Not funny bad in a Battlefield Earth way, not offensively bad, just plain old bad.

3/10

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:22 pm

The dance numbers are in the extended version.
Splink!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:28 pm

I'm not sure if leaving it out makes the film better or worse to be honest.

Since I dislike it I guess that will lead to accusations that I'm a misogynistic, basement dwelling virgin. I'd just like to go on record and say that is completely untrue, my house does not have a basement.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:53 pm

Well you're in the same boat as me, except you laughed at something and I didn't.
Splink!

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:31 pm

I almost semi smiled at him having a dog called Mike Hatt and a throwaway line at the beginning about the original mansion owner spending his fortune on anti-Irish fences, but that's it. As for other positives...................erm the balloon ghosts looked kindof cool and Kristen Wiig is quite attractive, but that's your lot.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:37 pm

Spotlight - based on the true life story of the Boston Globe investigating child abuse in the Catholic Church. It stars Mark Ruffalo, Rachel McAdams and Michael Keaton - so you have the Hulk, Batman and Irene Adler all in this film! :lol: Sort of brings to mind old newspaper films like All the President's Men. Not particularly groundbreaking or original - but well acted and crafted. Sort of puts things in perspective, as I think in this day and age of the internet that that type of investigative journalism probably won't happen much again. Maybe it'll be bloggers who do that type of thing.

Room - a young boy who is raised in the confines of a shed or room(as in the title). When he turns 5 years old, his mother hatches a plan to break him out. Very well acted film - the mother and son relationship is very believable. Good child acting from Jacob Tremblay. Interesting film which plays at the heart strings.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:15 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:Anyone tried Channel Zero? Seems to have an 80s vibe similar to Stranger Things, another show with a horror theme. Just discovered it, the few reviews on IMDB are positive.
I've just watched the 2nd episode. Not quite sure what to make of it yet... it certainly doesn't have the instant appeal of Stranger Things but it is kind of creepy weird and that's good... but will they take it somewhere or will it be ultimately another waste of time that the writers don't know how to finish properly - or one that chugs on with season after season of unresolved twaddle?

I will keep watching for now.
Last edited by gman72 on Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:29 am

Based on short stories, so I imagine one short season being a complete package, rather like Ameerican Horror Story or Fargo.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:04 am

Ok its not a brilliant movie, but its still entertaining

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Sausage Party - I must be on a bit of a Kriten Wiig marathon, except this film was funny. That said, although there were genuine laugh out loud moments wasn't quite as brilliant as I was hoping and would have worked better as a 30 minute short. It does have easily the funniest sex scene since Team America though.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:34 am

Walking Dead S7 premiere. Brutal and disappointing . Played the expected hand but it was all too protracted and oddly unnecessarily overplayed. Shame but I feel my interest waning somewhat.
I also fail to see how charming Negan is. It's not charming or even well acted?

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:21 am

I saw it too but wont comment yet to avoid spoilers.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:42 am

Watched it last night from start to the end for the first time

The transformation sequence is still impressive