What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RodimusPrime

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by RodimusPrime » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:01 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Deadwood is one of the all time great tv shows, the characters and dialogue are just superb
Watched the first 5 episodes now and really enjoying it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:43 am

Finally finished the first series of Game of Thrones last night. Judging by the fact that I was able to watch a couple of episodes at a time and then leave it for a while without being desperate to binge-watch the rest, it clearly didn't grip me as much as I thought it would. That said, I really enjoyed the job they did with the books (which I'm a big fan of) and I really got into an episode once I had it on. Loved the end of the series too with Dany and the dragons (and not just because she was in the buff but that was obviously great too :wink: ).

Picked up Series 2 a while back so I'll be straight onto that next.
the_hawk wrote:Watched Fantastic Four (the one from about a decade ago, not the pointless looking reboot).

I'd seen it back in the day & thought it was pretty weak, but I think that was just compared to the Spiderman & X Men films.

I watched it with my kids who are really into superheroes at the minute & we all really enjoyed it, it works so much better when you realise it's a kids film & supposed to be silly, it's actually a decent antidote to a lot of the modern po-faced introspective superhero films that seem to be void of any fun.
I'm a fan. They got the "family of heroes" feel spot-on and all of the cast were perfect. Also, Jessica Alba as the Invisible Woman is unlikely to be topped by whoever they got to play the character in the moody-looking reboot that I can't be arsed to even consider watching.

Rise of the Silver Surfer is okay. Not quite as good as the first one but still a good continuation worth watching.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:21 pm

the_hawk wrote:Watched Fantastic Four (the one from about a decade ago, not the pointless looking reboot).

I'd seen it back in the day & thought it was pretty weak, but I think that was just compared to the Spiderman & X Men films.

I watched it with my kids who are really into superheroes at the minute & we all really enjoyed it, it works so much better when you realise it's a kids film & supposed to be silly, it's actually a decent antidote to a lot of the modern po-faced introspective superhero films that seem to be void of any fun.
I saw the original at the cinema on its initial release. It's certainly better than the reboot - I sort of take your point, that it's meant to be a sort of light-hearted romp and to be enjoyed that way. If you watch it on that level, then it's quite fun.

Anyway, a recent cinema trip to see Love and Friendship - directed by Whil Stilman and starring Kate Beckinsale and Chloë Sevigny. It's based on an unfinished Jane Austen novella. You can sort of tell, as the film jumps about a lot in its narrative. Very uneven that way. It can be confusing as to what is going on. A lot of the critics are raving about it - but, meh, I was left unimpressed - it's less than the sum of its parts. Good central performance from Beckinsale - but that's all.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:09 pm

Watched Civil War - about half an hour too long and decided I don't like Ultron much. Definitely loses something not having Hulk or Thor there. Spidey and Ant Man are pretty cool though.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:35 am

HalcyonDaze00 wrote:Deadwood is one of the all time great tv shows, the characters and dialogue are just superb
Yeah, Deadwood is a pretty good drama/Western TV show. Shame that it was cancelled after season 3.

Anyway, last night I finished off the final two episodes of Mr. Robot from season 2. Now a couple of things struck me - for one thing, how much Rami Malek(aka Elliot) looks like Robbie Williams. Now, if you thought that the ending to Twin Peaks was weird and out there - then it's got to be said that the final two episodes of this series are not far behind in terms of weirdness. SPOILERS For one thing the integation scene. Oh and MPM, you like the fact SPOILERSthat it features a Commodore 64 and a 1541 floppy disk drive complete with a 5 1/4 inch floppy disk; I'm guessing that's an in-joke to the old game "Mr. Robot and His Robot Factory"? Is that it? - let us just say it's good for us retro fans. You'll be left with more questions than answers for this particular ending. Quite an uneven season - and it did drag. I hope the next one is stronger. Anyway, let me know what you guys think.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 23, 2016 4:19 pm

The new episode of Red Dwarf

way funnier than last weeks

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:18 pm

I started watching Billions. It's a financial drama that is from Showtime and was on Sky. It stars Damien Lewis(Brody from Homeland) as the CEO of a capital company and he is in conflict with the district attorney(played by Paul Giamatti). It's not a particularly original idea, we've seen this sort of thing before, having two alpha males fight one another in some dramatic contest - but it's well acted and the story moves along at a decent pace, and keeps you involved. I don't think however, that it's quite as good as the critical plaudits that it has received. I've still got quite a few episodes to watch.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:34 am

Ray Donovan, season 4. Yet another solid season, this is one of the best shows nobody talks about.

The Wolf Of Wall Street, bit disappointed with this. It's watchable and enjoyable at times but there's little pay off for such a long movie.

The Martian, a very enjoyable film with more humour and human touches than you often see in space films.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:57 am

VHS is the best way to watch 80s films

SPOILER ALERT
He dies at the start

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:59 pm

This week I've been having a Workaholics binge. I'm nearly caught up now so it's a bit disappointing that I'm running out!
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:50 pm

The league of gentlemen film

One of the best TV to film adaptations?

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:30 am

Watched that ARQ thing on Netflix. It was ok, I guess. A bit cheap really (the whole thing is filmed in a single house with all the windows blacked out). The time travel story wasn't great either - they left a pretty major plot point just hanging there. Meh.

David

Post by David » Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:41 am

The girl with all the gifts

Great film but the last 2 mins just left me thinking "wtf seriously that's your ending?!?!"

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:11 am

Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition - perhaps it's because I don't read comics, but I enjoyed it. Didn't feel like a three hour film, even if there were a couple of scenes that could have been removed (the bit in the mountains and the future scene for instance.) Affleck makes a good Batman with a vengeful streak and I loved the design of his suit. One thing that didn't work for me was Lex, as it just looked like Eisenburg was being wacky for the sake of being wacky.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:18 am

I always meant to watch Deadwood. Now it's cropped up again on here, and in conversation with somebody else recently, I finally got round to starting it too. It's good, I'm really enjoying it. Except for the seemingly random excessive use of a certain word. Maybe it's "authentic", I dunno - or maybe it's just something you only notice when watching several back to back. But it seems a bit too much, and I have no problem with bad language or anything like that generally. It just starts to sound a bit silly and childish? :?