What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ALK

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by ALK » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Finding Dory- Certainly quite a touching film. Maybe not as humorous as the first film, but still very enjoyable. An actual non-Toy Story sequel Pixar got right for a change!

Star Trek Beyond- Enjoyed just as much as the previous 2. Really gotta go back to the original series one of these days...
theantmeister wrote:
sscott wrote:Star Trek: Beyond with the whole family. Really good with a lighter touch no doubt influenced by Simon Pegg. It's not perfect but up there with the first one.
I hope they keep making them though. After that trailer, I'd be surprised if anyone bothered going to see this. The lack of hype is notable.
They confirmed recently a 4th film in this reboot series will be made. Although with Beyond nearly dropping out of most US cinemas already, just hope they don't have a change of heart...
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:11 pm

New Jason Bourne (aka Jason Bourne!). Love the series but was a little underwhelmed with this. Very few developments in plot and character.

vice350z

Post by vice350z » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:26 pm

silvergunner wrote:
It is amazing how opinions differ so much with this film. I myself have not seen it yet but no doubt will as my young boy is desperate to see it.
I heard so many people trash it but gave it a watch. I actually enjoyed it. Watched the extended version and it didn't even feel like 3 hours long. THe ONLY thing i didn't like was the casting of Lex Luthor..can't stand that guy. He was a little over the top with his psychotic act. People thought how horrible it was to cast Affleck as BW/BM but I think he's the best one so far. Better than Bale. Keaton would be my second fav. I don't even consider the others who played batman.

vice350z

Post by vice350z » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:27 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:

QL should get more recognition than it does; it's a brilliant tv show , with political commentary on how things were then and how they are now. Very surprised it's not had a reboot on tv or in film.
was one of my favorite shows back in the day and even watch some episodes every now and then today. The opening theme change in the last season was horrible.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:10 am

vice350z wrote:
silvergunner wrote:
It is amazing how opinions differ so much with this film. I myself have not seen it yet but no doubt will as my young boy is desperate to see it.
I heard so many people trash it but gave it a watch. I actually enjoyed it. Watched the extended version and it didn't even feel like 3 hours long. THe ONLY thing i didn't like was the casting of Lex Luthor..can't stand that guy. He was a little over the top with his psychotic act. People thought how horrible it was to cast Affleck as BW/BM but I think he's the best one so far. Better than Bale. Keaton would be my second fav. I don't even consider the others who played batman.
You're right, it didn't feel like 3 hours, more like 5. It tries far too hard to be serious and moody and carry a message. All thatbserious moddiness leaves little time for anything interesting to happen it eeds a major edit to cut it down to about 90 minutes, then it might be an average film instead of an awful one.

Here's hoping it hasn't killed the Wonder Woman movie.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:37 am

sscott wrote:Righ, that's it Katzkatz. It's sunny all week. Go out and take a walk or dink 50 pints at a beer garden. That's an order!!
For you, sscott. Here's what I had last night :-

I hope that's allowed.

thingonaspring

Post by thingonaspring » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:22 am

Finally finished watching American Horror Story Coven last night. It's taken months, just don't appear to have had the time to sit down for TV much!

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:16 am

Katzkatz wrote:
sscott wrote:Righ, that's it Katzkatz. It's sunny all week. Go out and take a walk or dink 50 pints at a beer garden. That's an order!!
For you, sscott. Here's what I had last night :-

I hope that's allowed.
You know I love you kk!

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 3:59 am

The Man From UNCLE - the new film from Mockney wideboy Guy Richie(former Mrs. Madonna). So, let get this straight - you have a British guy playing an American, a Swedish woman playing a German, an American playing a Russian and an Australian playing a British woman. That's some weird casting there. I suppose it's entertaining enough - I do think the plot goes to pieces towards the end. Cavill and Hammer don't have the chemistry for the "bromance" that Downey Jnr. and Law had in Sherlock Holmes(and I think Richie was trying to replicate here). Be interesting to see if it gets a sequel. I don't there is enough there to sustain a franchise.

The Tale of the Princess Kaguya - from Studio Ghibli. Their second to last film. A bamboo cutter discovers a small girl inside a bamboo shoot and raises her to be a princess in ancient Japan. Based on an old Japanese tale. The animation is stunning - has pastel tones and the hand drawn quality. There's something very distinctive about this animation in this particular production, seems quite different from the other Studio Ghibli stuff. The "frog sequence" is unusual. It's a slightly flawed film, there are parts of it that are enchanting and other parts where you can get quite bored with it - it's overlong and that doesn't help. I watched the English language version. Overall, I did like it - and I suppose it's quite near the top of their work(I still think that Spirited Away is their best film) - but it's uneven in places.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:58 am

Started on season 2 of Daredevil. The storyline with the Punisher is very interesting. A really strong start to season - I didn't think the Kingpin storyline could be topped - but this one seems better. :D

ALK

Post by ALK » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:15 pm

Batman The Killing Joke- Never read the comic keep in mind. Just as everyone will tell you, the Batgirl prologue really does not fit into the Killing Joke part (Not just the fact Batman and Batgirl "do it", the writing to both really don't match one another at all.). After that however, the Killing Joke part is pretty neat, Conroy and Hamill are great as always, I could play back Joker's monologues again and again, and yeah, does shock a bit when you know next to nothing about the comic.

So yeah, skip the first 28 mins with Batgirl and you'll be better without it.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:19 pm

Startrek Beyond - finally got to see this before it vanishes from the Cinema. Loved it :D Exactly what a Startrek film should be - for me it just had, well, everything!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:32 pm

Over the last couple of days, I watched Batman and Batman Returns for the first time (I know, I know...). I honestly didn't enjoy Batman as much as I thought I would given how people seem to love these Tim Burton films. The art style is absolutely killer but I guess I just didn't care about any of the characters at all. Also, it seemed a bit too humorous in places for a film with a dark design. Totally worth it for Jack Nicholson's Joker though - he steals the show completely.

Batman Returns was a bit better and of course, Michelle Pfeiffer is an amazing Catwoman! I don't think any future Batman movie will manage to do a sexier version of the character.

Overall, I still enjoyed them both. I think I prefer the Nolan trilogy but I'd take Batman and Returns over any of the others and a lot of modern superhero films. I think the perfect Batman movie would a be mish-mash of the Nolan script/tone with the Tim Burton art direction and character designs.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:30 am

Megamixer wrote: Also, it seemed a bit too humorous in places for a film with a dark design.
Well, the main villain was the Joker :wink: .

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:36 am

I think the Burton films have to be taken in context.

Up 'til that point, superheroes in TV & flims were mostly dull Spandex wearing do-gooders. Then along came this with it's maniacal Joker, Keaton at his split personality best, Burton's style and that Prince soundtrack.

I guess watching it now when every other film is a superhero movie with a conflicted main character & manic bad guy it'll lose it's impact. (Plus I must've been about 13 or so when it came out so there's that too!)
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue