What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

dste

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by dste » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:02 pm

Katzkatz wrote:
dste wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Finished the last episode of season 4 of Orange is the New Black. Overall a very good season - and a pretty good finale.
:cry:
Why so sad, dtse? It's coming back for a 5th season - unless, you mean something that happened near the finale?
Yep and that smile at the end.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:06 pm

Watched the Alien quadrilogy again recently, feel the urge to play Metroid now. Was also reminded of Resident Evil quite a bit too.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:39 am

Big Hero 6 - from Disney. Not quite up to the best stuff from Pixar - but still pretty decent.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:36 am

Katzkatz wrote: Then on to Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation - not just for Rebecca Fergusson in the silk dress - but also the bikini. :D I think this one is about a "Rogue Nation" and is lead by Sean Harris as the bad guy. Lots of chases in this one. Competent in what it does - but little else.

Blast - I've just realised that I skipped a film - Ghost Protocol. Oh well, I'll have to watch that one in the future.
I really enjoyed Rogue Nation. Loved the bike chase! Preferred it to Spectre. And yes - Rebecca Fergusson looked amazing in it. She's Swedish, I think?
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

Dannyhalifax

Post by Dannyhalifax » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 am

Bridge of spies Good Tom Hanks cold war spy movie.

Headhunters Highly rated Norwegian thriller, not as good as I expected.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:46 pm

greenberet79 wrote:
Katzkatz wrote: Then on to Mission Impossible : Rogue Nation - not just for Rebecca Fergusson in the silk dress - but also the bikini. :D I think this one is about a "Rogue Nation" and is lead by Sean Harris as the bad guy. Lots of chases in this one. Competent in what it does - but little else.

Blast - I've just realised that I skipped a film - Ghost Protocol. Oh well, I'll have to watch that one in the future.
I really enjoyed Rogue Nation. Loved the bike chase! Preferred it to Spectre. And yes - Rebecca Fergusson looked amazing in it. She's Swedish, I think?
Yes, Rebecca Fergusson is Swedish - just like the legendary über babe Ingrid Bergman was. Perhaps it's in those Swedish genes - turning out amazing looking women?

Anyway, last night I watched Spy. With Melissa McCarthy, Rose Bryne, Jason Statham, Miranda Hart, Jude Law and Peter Serafinowicz. From the director of Bridesmaids - Paul Feig. A desk bound CIA analyst(Melissa McCarthy) gets to go out into the field and go after a deadly arms dealer(played by Rose Bryne). It's sort of a spoof on spy films - mainly the James Bond ones. To be honest, I wasn't expecting to like this - as I thought it would be more aimed towards the female audience - but I have to say that it kept my interest, parts of it whilst were crude were also funny, and the performances from Bryne, Statham and McCarthy in particular were very good - they all sparked off of one another. It did get me to laugh at a few scenes. Hey, if they make a sequel - I'd think about watching that. Pleasantly surprised by this.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:02 am

A film I know about, but cant remember if ive ever seen it

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:00 am

I freaking love Dune, amazing film. Watched the new Independence Day the other week, one of the worst films I've seen in a long time.
Splink!

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:05 am

felgekarp wrote:Watched the new Independence Day the other week, one of the worst films I've seen in a long time.
Yea, its beyond shocking isn't it? Everything about it was terrible. Even the pep-talk speech from the (former) president Bill Pullman was totally lacklustre and forgettable. 2/10 at best!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:13 am

You guys must not watch a lot of bad films then

ID42 was OK at best

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:33 am

DPrinny wrote:Image

A film I know about, but cant remember if ive ever seen it
Dune is okay, at best. I think one of the problems with it, was that David Lynch had a different vision from the original book - and that's why it perhaps didn't meet expectations. That - and Sting in underpants!

I hear that the mini series version of it is a lot better. Maybe, that's just the best way to adapt it to the screen - as the book is quite complex.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Jul 16, 2016 5:17 pm

Super 8 - I gave this a re-watch - as I had seen it in the cinema. Okay, obviously it's a pastiche of early Spielberg movies - and as such, perhaps lack originality. However, there's decent enough spectacle(from about a third of the way into the film), good characterisation, a decent enough story and a heart to it(even if it does get a bit sentimental towards the end).

sscott

Post by sscott » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:06 am

Finished Daredevil Season 1. Good stuff. Haven't binge watched and looking forward to seeing the Punisher.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:13 pm

Kick-Ass 2, thought it was excellent

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Jul 18, 2016 3:44 am

sscott wrote:Finished Daredevil Season 1. Good stuff. Haven't binge watched and looking forward to seeing the Punisher.
I've just started season 2 and, if you liked season 1, I'd say you'll like season 2. Pity there's no Fisk in it though. The fight scenes continue to be excellent.

I watched Rise of the planet of the apes - it was ok. Bit of a brave move making the film mostly subtitled. I still don't like the main actor though. I think he was John Connor in Terminator Genesys? I dunno, he's just... dull. Definitely didn't look the part in Terminator, that's less of a problem here, I guess, but still dull.