What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

aztecca

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by aztecca » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:53 am

Latest episode of banshee and series finale of vikings both grest shows.I especially like the character Floki in the vikings he's a bit mental but I like him.
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:25 am

Murder Rap, another documentary about the murders of Tupac and Biggie Smalls, probably the best I've seen on the subject. This probably has the most plausible theories yet, implicating a pretty big name behind the murder of Tupac.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:31 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Statham does get to show off some acting in that one.
Sorry Katz, run that one by me again?
I'm not saying that he is going to win an Oscar or trouble the likes of De Niro and Day-Lewis any time soon, but the role he has in Hummingbird does go beyond his usual hard man/fighting stuff.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:37 pm

merman wrote:Been watching the DVDs of Operation Good Guys.

A brilliant spoof documentary following an "elite" police unit...but things often go wrong.
There was some reall funny stuff in Operation Good Guys, I definitely need to give it another watch.
Splink!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:53 am

Katzkatz wrote:
jdanddiet wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:Statham does get to show off some acting in that one.
Sorry Katz, run that one by me again?
I'm not saying that he is going to win an Oscar or trouble the likes of De Niro and Day-Lewis any time soon, but the role he has in Hummingbird does go beyond his usual hard man/fighting stuff.
Yeah I know mate, he's ok just joshing.

Anyway, something that is most definitely not ok - watched alone in the dark which thoroughly deserves its reputation. Terrible script, terrible acting, terrible special effects, terrible direction. Just terrible, full stop.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:14 am

Force Awakens again - just as good the second time around, overall I'd put it third behind Hope and Empire

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:18 am

Negative Creep wrote:Force Awakens again - just as good the second time around, overall I'd put it third behind Hope and Empire
Yeah got my blu-ray once i got back off holiday, going to watch it again. Saw it twice at the cinema and really enjoyed it. Roll on Rogue One in December

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:59 am

the_hawk wrote:Halfway through the Crystal Lake Memories documentary, absolutely loving all the stories & 1st hand accounts of the billion or so Friday 13th films.
On to the last disk now.

Really really good documentary, so many interesting anecdotes. Odd to think that Jason X is so badly thought of, I loved it & think it's pretty must the best of the later Friday 13th films, easily better than part 8 which is by far the worst in the series.

If I had to rank them I'd probably go;

VII, VI, I, IV, X, Freddy Vs Jason, II, Remake, IX, V, III, VIII
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:10 am

Better Call Saul - Thought this season was better, thought Mikes story would have ended better. Still a slow series overall, i'll watch it again when its back but it makes me realise how much i miss Breaking Bad

Game of Thrones - Good first episode, nice to have it back

Frankie Boyle - Just saw he had a new stand up show on Netflix, part way through, great so far but damn hes put on some timber ! Plus i wish he would shave off that annoying beard. The material so far has been good though

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:07 pm

Watched first 3 episodes. Nowhere near as good as the book, but ok.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:02 pm

the_hawk wrote:
the_hawk wrote:Halfway through the Crystal Lake Memories documentary, absolutely loving all the stories & 1st hand accounts of the billion or so Friday 13th films.
On to the last disk now.

Really really good documentary, so many interesting anecdotes. Odd to think that Jason X is so badly thought of, I loved it & think it's pretty must the best of the later Friday 13th films, easily better than part 8 which is by far the worst in the series.

I thought VIII had some great entertainment going for it. The series was so ridiculous by this point that the Manhattan setting didn't really bother me and there was a great 80's song in the end credits if I remember rightly.

I would probably say that IX is one of the worst - it isn't even explained how Jason survived his death in the previous film. You can call the whole series dumb if you like but at least there is an attempt at explaining/showing how he returns each time...before IX that is. The other crap thing about IX is that the DVD isn't exactly common either and it isn't included in the boxset unless it has been updated since I bought mine. I have IX and X separately.

X is a brilliant movie with so many quotable lines and memorable scenes/deaths. Shame that they rebooted the series with a more serious film that was still great in its own right but not as entertaining overall.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Welcome back Game of Thrones... Really good episode, and thanks to sky for putting it on (im guessing) the same time as USA at 2am.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:39 am

I might be being a bit harsh on XIII, I'd watched VI & VII on video not long before it came out & thought they were great. I still remember being round at my mate's house when it was released, we'd got the pizzas in & we were all hyped for it...the film was a huge disappointment...weirdly I can still remember how nice the pepperoni pizza was.

I think the reason IX & X are not in the box sets is a rights thing. I think New Line bought the rights to the Jason character... but not the rights to the Friday 13th name (hense the films titles not including the words "Friday 13th"
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:09 pm

the_hawk wrote:I think the reason IX & X are not in the box sets is a rights thing. I think New Line bought the rights to the Jason character... but not the rights to the Friday 13th name (hense the films titles not including the words "Friday 13th"
That does sound familiar actually. The first eight films were by Paramount weren't they? I'm a big fan of them all + the Nightmare on Elm Street series but not especially the remakes.

You must have laughed at the bit in VIII where Jason chops some punk's head off and it flies into a dumpster :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:32 pm

Megamixer wrote:

I need to revisit the series as a whole but X and 6 are my favourites.