What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by Katzkatz » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:48 am

Megamixer wrote:In preparation for going to see Force Awakens, I've been re-watching the previous movies. Polished off the prequel trilogy and finally watched Episode III properly (not watched it all the way through for some reason before now). I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Revenge of the Sith; it links up to the start of A New Hope quite well, the battle with Obi Wan and Anakin is dramatic and The Emperor is once again played so damn well by Ian McDiarmid. Easily the darkest of the lot and I felt a bit sorry for Mace Windu being double-teamed like that :lol: An easy 7/10.

Also watched Gran Torino for the first time and I can probably say that it's now one of my favourite movies.
Have fun with The Force Awakens, Megamixer. Revenge of the Sith is okay(it's easily the best of the prequel trilogy - although, that's not exactly hard). I think the problem with the prequels, was that "Vader's Story" didn't have much too it. Only really the last film went into that, and that's one of the reasons why it's the best one.

Gran Torino is ace as well. Eastwood might be old, but it is one of his finest films, and best performances.

Anyway, last night I re-watched Stanley Kubrick's Eyes Wide Shut. I had seen it in the cinema on its cinematic release. Errrmmm - I think that there's an interesting film trying to get out of it, but it's perhaps a little hampered. For one thing - it's about 30 minutes too long. There's some interesting ideas here. It's ironic that the whole Kidman and Cruise thing, and what happened afterwards - I can't help but think that this film contributed to that.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:11 pm

30 mins too long? A Kubrick film? No! :lol:

Watched Ant-man last night and enjoyed it a lot. Slow start, but some excellent performances, although the plot was rather predictable.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:17 pm

Finished
The Sopranos, DEEP MEANINGS TO THE ENDING!!!
I think
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:51 pm

DPrinny wrote:F is for family

Bit like the earily sessions of Family guy, but set in the 70s and with less randomness, watchabile
Watched the first episode yesterday. Missus wasn't enjoying it and I'm not sure I was until towards the end. Will stick with it though.

Xmas viewing so far:

Die Hard - still great.
Die Hard 2 - better than I remember.
Man From U.N.C.L.E - really good. Funny, decent action. Mancrush on Henry Cavill though.
The Martian - didn't expect much but ended up really enjoying this.
Rare Exports - bizarre Xmas horror movie. Low on gore and budget. Fun though.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:06 pm

Arachnoquake
Pure b-movie tosh, but quite enjoyablie
BLIND SPIDERS THAT BREATH FIRE!!
Bluce_Ree wrote:
DPrinny wrote:F is for family

Bit like the earily sessions of Family guy, but set in the 70s and with less randomness, watchabile
Watched the first episode yesterday. Missus wasn't enjoying it and I'm not sure I was until towards the end. Will stick with it though.
It gets better, its good how each episode follows on from the other rather than each just being a theme of the week
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Mad Max: Fury Road, wanted to like it, great style but just thought it was very silly!

ALK

Post by ALK » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:36 pm

Snoopy and Charlie Brown The Peanuts Movie- Pretty good. Could have done without the pop songs but I guess they needed something to ensure today's kids don't fall asleep but they were only very few and in-between so it did not destroy the film.
3DS FC= 0301-9774-9044

PM me if you add me.

dste

Post by dste » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:00 pm

Detectorists Christmas special.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:32 pm

dste wrote:Haywire - Good cast, dull film.
Fair enough, I quite liked it though, and Gina Carano, mmmmmmm. :)

Watched more of Arrow season one, good stuff.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

necronom

Post by necronom » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:52 pm

dste wrote:Detectorists Christmas special.
I'm glad you mentioned that, as I forgot about it and missed it. I'll watch it on iPlayer in a minute.

Over Christmas I watched Die Hard, and The Force Awakens again (in 2D this time); it's just as good the second time.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

PAC

Post by PAC » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:17 pm

Caught Peanuts as well this afternoon with eldest. Lovely, lovely holiday-time cinema.

(Quite agree about the pop songs !)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:35 pm

Yeah the Peanuts movie can be called "Comfy"
Its not a toy advert, its not flashing bright colours in your face, it just wants to tell a story

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:24 pm

Bought the Dirty Harry DVD collection for a stupidly cheap price so I have started watching these again. Real films 8)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:06 am

Bluce_Ree wrote: Rare Exports - bizarre Xmas horror movie. Low on gore and budget. Fun though.
Yeah, I've heard a lot about this recently. Hmmm, I might check that film out.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:28 am

sscott wrote:Mad Max: Fury Road, wanted to like it, great style but just thought it was very silly!
I watched that the other day and really couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I'd give it 4/10 as it bored me for 70% of it.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/