What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

psj3809

Re: What Films/TV Have you Watched Recently?

Post by psj3809 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:54 am

Finally started watching a few episodes of Better Call Saul.

Loved Breaking Bad, find this 'not bad'. Not stunning , watchable but i dont know, was expecting a bit more

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:28 pm

Aargh!

Was waiting for the next episode of Rebels as the last one was so good, only to discover they only had a half season this year, so it was the last for ages.

May have to go back and watch them from the start to see how it all fit together again.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:28 pm

Skyfall - saw this when it came out (2012!), thought it was ace then and still do. Looking forward to Spectre.

Byzantium - vampire film where Gemma Arteton spends half the film in her underwear so that's alright by me. Her accent's a bit annoying though. Decent film overall.

The Babadook - very good. Not as scary as I thought it was going to be, more tense and troubling. Interesting ending.

Robocop - the original, and classic. I mean it has dated, but once it gets into the revenge storyline it really gets going. "Dead or alive you're coming with me" Love it!

The Sopranos - on season 5 of a rewatch of the whole thing. Brilliant, brilliant TV.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

dste

Post by dste » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:32 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I think there is a final season 6, and then that's it from Raylan and co. Raise your Stetson in Raylan's honour! :wink:
You must have missed my post where I said that I was watching season 6. It's absolutely brilliant, season two level for me personally. Watched the first seven episodes and only one has been a bit weak compared to the rest. You are in for a treat.

As for myself, I watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Not amazing but I did quite enjoy it. If I was going to sum it up I would say rushed as it had too much going on.
Mission to Lars - Definitely worth a watch even if not a Metallica fan.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

The Hardest of All Freds

Post by The Hardest of All Freds » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:34 pm

Dreamgirls - actually 1000 times better than I thought it would be. Eddie Murphy is brilliant in as a sleazy Little Richard type/
Going Solo...................

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:45 pm

^^ Dreamgirls is ace

Me and the girlfriend watched the 1982 remake of the The Thing last night. She'd never seen it before, and even having watched it several times it still had me on tenterhooks! That testing scene :shock:
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:11 pm

dste wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:I think there is a final season 6, and then that's it from Raylan and co. Raise your Stetson in Raylan's honour! :wink:
You must have missed my post where I said that I was watching season 6. It's absolutely brilliant, season two level for me personally. Watched the first seven episodes and only one has been a bit weak compared to the rest. You are in for a treat.

As for myself, I watched Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Not amazing but I did quite enjoy it. If I was going to sum it up I would say rushed as it had too much going on.

Okay - whoops, sorry for missing that on Justified. That's good to hear. Anyway, I finished off season 5 last night. Another pretty good season - not quite up to season 4, but pretty decent still - and an intriguing ending.

Yeah, I saw the rebooted second Spiderman film a few weeks ago. I've got to say, that it's okay. Nothing special, not up to the first two Rami films - but a decent enough superhero film - although, I do think they had too many villains in it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:43 pm

sscott wrote:
Megamixer wrote:I'll have to wait for Better Call Saul to hit DVD (I don't bother with any of the download/streaming services as I'm never in a rush).

Meanwhile I've been blitzing the Breaking Bad DVD's and have also managed to get hold of Season 5 and 'Final Season' at very cheap prices. It's very addictive stuff and one of the best things from TV for sure. So many awesome characters. Somebody mentioned Gus a while back in this thread and I have to say that he is an excellent character.
You just wait for the ozymandius episode, outstanding stuff!
Watched that episode last night and I really can't wait to see how the final two pan out!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:18 pm

Just watched the first episode of Forever which I quite enjoyed, plus Poldark which was good & Fortitude which I'm loving.

I have decided to stop watching The Walking Dead though. And I've just deleted every episode of Flash, Arrow, Gotham & Agents of Shield from my Sky Box. Just couldn't get into any of them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:14 am

The season finally of Stephen Universe.
Kinda mixed, the ending of the main villain was a bit grim, even if it was a shove in
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:10 pm

Halfway through the first series of 'Grimm'.

Really enjoying it!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:50 pm

If you're enjoying Grimm, see also Sleepy Hollow.

Last night I watched the documentary episode about the making of Boardwalk Empire. Largely lots of back slapping, but it was interesting to see the actors out of character, some of them look and sound very different. Scouse Al Capone being just one example.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:33 pm

jdanddiet wrote:Me and the girlfriend watched the 1982 remake of the The Thing last night. She'd never seen it before, and even having watched it several times it still had me on tenterhooks! That testing scene :shock:
GREATNESS.

One point I've made in the past is that when you're watching, you're never really sure who is or isn't the thing.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:29 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:If you're enjoying Grimm, see also Sleepy Hollow.

Last night I watched the documentary episode about the making of Boardwalk Empire. Largely lots of back slapping, but it was interesting to see the actors out of character, some of them look and sound very different. Scouse Al Capone being just one example.
Haha yes, he's in Snatch!

Sleepy Hollow was on my 'maybe' list, but I'll take your recommendation and move it to the 'watch' list.

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:47 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:If you're enjoying Grimm, see also Sleepy Hollow.

Haha yes, Stephen graham is from round here. He generally plays the same hard man character that made him famous in This Is England. He's done well for himself.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."