Tea or Coffee- NO thanks!

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

krusty40

Re: Tea or Coffee- NO thanks!

Post by krusty40 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:52 pm

Maybe people drink it out of habit too :lol:

The caffeine argument is genuine though, whether its coffee, coke or lucozade its not good at ALL to have too much of that chemical floating around in your system, gives you dependance and the shakes and sets you up to be addicted for life
Some advertising campaigns are very long indeed...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:29 pm

krusty40 wrote:The caffeine argument is genuine though, whether its coffee, coke or lucozade its not good at ALL to have too much of that chemical floating around in your system, gives you dependance and the shakes and sets you up to be addicted for life
I 100% agree with that Krusty ..... it's the most sensible thing you've said on the forum in ages :)
I talk from experience, but I had a serious caffeine dependance problem, I suffered from depression and used to have anger management issues ..... the caffeine made it worse! Caffeine is a drug (although a legal one).
It used to give me a major pick up, but upon the come down, I was impossible to say the least ... a very moody sod with absolutely no tollerance to anyone or thing that annoyed me.
After speaking with the doctor, I was advised to give up the caffeine.
Once I did that, I went completely 'cold turkey' ... no tea/coffee/coca-cola/pepsi/dr perrer/lucazade etc.
At the end of the first week, my body practically shut down in the evening, I got home from work @ approx. 5:45 and I was asleep in bed at about 6:00 (only 15 minutes later) because my head hurt so much like I'd been smaked other the head ..... it felt like a hangover ..... it took me the entire weekend to properly recover.

This may sound a bit excesive, but caffeine is bloody addictive.
On the odd occasion, I may have a 'normal' cup of tea (hell, I was downing proper tea like the clappers on Sunday) but I now stick to decaf tea & decaf coffee ..... and I have to say, it's made quite a difference in my attitude and how I feel generally.
I don't get anywhere near as tired as I used to.

So, those thinking of going caffeine free, do it, you won't regret it in the long run.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:41 pm

I would believe the symptoms of the come-down. I used to drink two LARGE bottles of Lucozade a day and i got addicted to it. I finally realised it was giving me severe energy slumps (the high of the sugar followed by crashing lows where you would get dizzy and shake) and i gradually weaned myself off it.
Thankfully i managed over a period of 3 months to completely remove it and nowadays would only have one or two cans a month.

Its the specific type of glucose they use that gets released into your bloodstream almost instantaneously with none of the usual digestive processes occuring in order to break down the food components before being released. Such a sudden amount of sugar needs an instant amount of insulin to neutralise it and hence the high and low affect. Not good.

Having said that, chocolate and some types of whit bread have the same effect. Moderation.people. :D

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:32 pm

krusty40 wrote: Its the specific type of glucose they use that gets released into your bloodstream almost instantaneously with none of the usual digestive processes occuring in order to break down the food components before being released. Such a sudden amount of sugar needs an instant amount of insulin to neutralise it and hence the high and low affect. Not good.

Having said that, chocolate and some types of whit bread have the same effect. Moderation.people. :D

thats not "a specific typ of glucose" thats just glucose! its pure energy and it serves a purpose! if you take glucose in a drink whilst eating, its helps to break down the food more effectively and creates more oxygen in the bloodstream allowing for better transportaion of nutriants!...if you take glucose immediatly before excersise it gives you a helpfull boost of energy!...if you just take it...and are not using it for a pupose it floats around a bit making you feel good...then dissapates...but becouse you have not used the energy it then makes you feel bad due to the excess oxygene in your blood!!

i use a lot of glucose, i like sweet drinks so use it like suger, becouse unlike suger it dose not turn to fat if not used! i mix it with all my suppliments along with creatine as this combination helps break foods down more effectivly!..leaving less fat waste!
again chocolate and white bread are carbs, carbs = energy...unused energy turns to fat and can give a headache if consumed in large amounts!

so endeth the tutorial! :mrgreen:
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:48 pm

Actually there are several types of glucose- "glucose" is a handy term for many many types of sugar like fructose and galactose etc.

The purity or potency of the glucose can have a direct affect on the reaction of the person eating or drinking it. White bread has some refined carbohydrate but is "padded" in a way by the other binding ingredients like yeast, preservatives etc so the blood sugar swing isnt too bad.

Lucozade goes almost directly into the bloodstream and hence the after effects of coming down from the insulin rush is much more pronounced. Trust me i was a lucozade addict i know what im on about :D

Garystone10

Post by Garystone10 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:29 pm

krusty40 wrote:Actually there are several types of glucose- "glucose" is a handy term for many many types of sugar like fructose and galactose etc.
Ermm... much as I hate to argue about something i don't really care about, thats rubbish.

Glucose is glucose, fructose is fructose and so on.

I think you'll find 'sugar' is a handy term for many many types of sugar.

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:40 pm

I meant that from glucose you can get several types of sugar as in the way its described, sorry if that wasnt clear!

clarance

Post by clarance » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Death may be your Santa Claus.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:06 pm

krusty40 wrote:I meant that from glucose you can get several types of sugar as in the way its described, sorry if that wasnt clear!
you are still wrong...glucose is glucose, fructose is a fruit derivative! suger cane is a plant,
glucose is a chemical called dextos monohidrate and gets its common name from the Greek word glykys, meaning "sweet", plus the -ose which means a sugar.it is found in all living things as it is the main ingrediant used in photosynthesis and is a key part of cellulor respiration (oxygen in the blood!too much of which causes both the rush...and come down your talking about!)!

i've been studying nutrition for years and i know my shit!....i eat 4000 callories a day,i eat a high fat,high protein, high carb diet, but due to the way i eat, ie what,when,and how i use it, i weigh only 12.5 stone...only 14% of which is body fat!
you can't do that unless you know what you are doing!

you can challenge me and prove me wrong on a lot of things krusty....but nutrition is not one of them! :mrgreen:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:05 pm

mhk - don't waste your energy, mate. The saying, "There are none so blind as those who won't see" was never more apt. :roll:
Thoughts and prayers.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:47 am

oh this i know....but i never waste an oppertunity to talk about nutrition! :D

krusty40

Post by krusty40 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:54 pm

By several types of glucose i meant the several ways in which it is included and incorporated in food and drink-some of it (like lucozade sugar) is released very fast whereas others like complex carbohydrates are released slower into the bloodstream, Thought that was kinda obvious!

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:57 pm

krusty40 wrote:By several types of glucose i meant the several ways in which it is included and incorporated in food and drink-some of it (like lucozade sugar) is released very fast whereas others like complex carbohydrates are released slower into the bloodstream, Thought that was kinda obvious!
Just shut the f*ck up please!!
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

clarance

Post by clarance » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:59 pm

krusty40 wrote:By several types of glucose i meant the several ways in which it is included and incorporated in food and drink-some of it (like lucozade sugar) is released very fast whereas others like complex carbohydrates are released slower into the bloodstream, Thought that was kinda obvious!
Death may be your Santa Claus.

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:02 pm

I think he fell in a vat Joker style and became a permanent mongtard
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........