Your Real Names

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Your Real Names

Post by The Master » Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:51 pm

Just a line of thinking that started off in a weird dream about a gas-pipe last night...

What are your real names? Just first names look, or we'll all be accused of gelatinous brain-snatching (oh, I say)...

Me, I'm a Joel. I'd rather be a Dave or a Daev, but overall I guess I'm quite content with it. I was one of only two in my whole time at school (the other one was a censored), and I was the first one Tom Baker ever met, as of mid-1997.

So I like my name and am quite proud of it, even though most folk still address me as "Master" anyway :D

This nice geriatric Jehovah lady who came to my door to talk to me for "a couple of minutes" the other week took great pleasure in telling me that it was originally the name of a ("minor, but that doesn't mean he wasn't still important!") prophet. For like six censored hours. Bless.

So, what are you named after?

A star? A postage stamp? A kind of funny thing inbetween cup and lap? A furry clasp? A magic trowel? A Fish song? A knowing cow?

Let all your runnels out here...

Free, as the blind wows...

gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:15 pm

Mad as a hatter that Master bloke! errrr sorry, that Joel bloke :lol:

Hard to guess my name. Mark is what I was given as a name by my parents - so that is kinda still my name now.

BUT since markopoloman became my nickname at my old place of work in the early 1990's, the majority of friends and family now call me Marko.

I like Marko and actually insist that people call me it. Just remember to spell it with a bloody K not a C :roll:

Marko is cool. Mark is an annoying blotch on a wall that needs cleaning :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

junkmale

Post by junkmale » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm Kenneth. I get Ken sometimes and Kenny from the majority of my friends and family.
Hate Kenneth, always have. The Doctor who looked after my Mum when she was having me was called Kenneth so there you have it.
Kenneth is also the most popular boys name in China (the Chinese version obviously).
Have a look at my latest Blog post for some great names!

http://www.junk-male.blogspot.com/

Xesh

Re: Your Real Names

Post by Xesh » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:58 pm

The Master wrote:.......even though most folk still address me as "Master" anyway :D
Now that worries me! :shock: Do you have to chain them up and whip them before they do that? :P :lol: :lol:

My given name is John but most people who know me call me JW (or Jdub if they're lazy).

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:26 am

junkmale wrote:The Doctor who looked after my Mum when she was having me was called Kenneth so there you have it.
That is the same reason I got called Gordon. I hate the name.
Always wanted to be called Ian when I was younger, but that was probably because Ian Rush was at Liverpool.

It gets shortened to Gord mostly, but often I get called God (its true). Hate being called Gordy by anyone but cute girls.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:33 am

My first names Paul, not that bad at all.

Always felt sorry for the scottish kid at school called Dorian ! Plus the bloke who was called Leslie always got a ton of grief !

Think those names arent probably that bad compared to the chavvy names you get nowadays at schools, all the Kylies, the other names 'made up' like theyre off Jerry Springer.

Like the good old fashioned names myself

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:28 am

junkmale wrote:...Doctor who looked after my mum....
Are you the son of a Timelord? :lol:

Sorry....I'm Carl, but everyone has called me Carlos since I was a young snip of a lad.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:32 am

I've contemplated changing my middle name to Antiriad2097. It seems to be so much more 'me' than George, and it nicely gets round those workplace forum rules that require real names to be used ;)

Blokes call me Steve, girlies call me Stephen. I have no idea why it works out that way, but I've been called worse.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:37 am

My real name is Calvin...

Given to me by my older brothers, don't mind it too much. Very rarely got called it for 7 years at a previous workplace. My nickname was Pants hence on-line tag of Pantal00ns.

The reason I had a few pairs of Calvin Klein Silk Boxers brought back from America. At 17 it seemed like a good idea, in reality they rarely kept my nuts in place and fell apart after a good drinking session and Fart competition.

Anyone still awake? :wink:

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:49 am

Another Paul over here. Sometimes get "Paawlie" in a rediculous New Jersey accent from my pals since The Sopranos have been on tv (and the fact I'm of Italian descent..), but now I'm old enough to take the abuse on the chin.
Thoughts and prayers.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 am

Graeme. S'okay. Better than Boris.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:13 am

i've been a Jason for the majority of my life, so that's probably the one that was being asked about i s'pose...? =-)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:22 am

Im geting a bit worried now
I want to change my name to "What"

Much better than Mike

boggyb68

Post by boggyb68 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:08 am

My name is...my name is... my name is.... chikychikychkiy Slim... err no it's Simon... Not Shady... :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:09 am

rossi46 wrote:Another Paul over here. Sometimes get "Paawlie" in a rediculous New Jersey accent from my pals since The Sopranos have been on tv (and the fact I'm of Italian descent..), but now I'm old enough to take the abuse on the chin.
My ex was american/half italian, i used to get that tonssssssssssss. Didnt mind.

Must admit all my mates call me by my surname, when i go down south to see all my mates, on a friday night no one calls me Paul.