Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:27 pm

Had one of these brought back from Minehead for me:

Not bad at all for a random ale.

Sadly I haven't bought any new ales to try for a while now. For some reason, just a bottle or two has been giving me seriously uncomfortable bad guts recently! A bit of a sudden change that's got me a bit mystified :( . That Silent Slasher made me feel like crap within the hour too.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:17 pm

Megamixer wrote:Had one of these brought back from Minehead for me:

Not bad at all for a random ale.

Sadly I haven't bought any new ales to try for a while now. For some reason, just a bottle or two has been giving me seriously uncomfortable bad guts recently! A bit of a sudden change that's got me a bit mystified :( . That Silent Slasher made me feel like crap within the hour too.
Wheat intolerance maybe? I know some beers get me like this sometimes for this reason.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:47 am

silvergunner wrote:Wheat intolerance maybe? I know some beers get me like this sometimes for this reason.
No idea. It started happening with ales that I've always been fine with so it's a bit weird. It's not stopping me like but if it comes on after a bottle then I'm not likely to touch any more in that sitting! Just not been 'into' them for a while now due to this reason.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................ NOT PIDDLE ale! :shock:

I'd imagine your iffy tummy has something to do with the brew plant they use there. They made their name by producing ale based on their local little river (Piddle). 99% of people in Dorset know to avoid.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 1:49 pm

markopoloman wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................ NOT PIDDLE ale! :shock:

I'd imagine your iffy tummy has something to do with the brew plant they use there. They made their name by producing ale based on their local little river (Piddle). 99% of people in Dorset know to avoid.
:lol:

I knew nothing about it in fairness; was just given it. Hadn't even heard of the brewery before. In any case, I wouldn't have it again as it wasn't anything special.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Oct 20, 2015 2:21 pm

Megamixer wrote:
markopoloman wrote:Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo........................ NOT PIDDLE ale! :shock:

:lol:

I knew nothing about it in fairness; was just given it. Hadn't even heard of the brewery before. In any case, I wouldn't have it again as it wasn't anything special.
Yup, its pretty vile. It used to be all over the place in local shops and pubs. Now I rarely see it anywhere, and for good reason.

Mark - I will get down to you at some point. Hopefully with the missus if we can palm the kids off one afternoon. We will bring cake! :D

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:27 pm

Tried a few craft beer - but lagers :-

Koona Brewing Big Wave Golden Ale - 4.4% ABV. Golden in colour. Quite a good taste for a lager. Actually, has some flavour.

Koona Brewing Castaway IPA - 6% ABV. Golden in colour. Really hoppy for an IPA - probably the hoppiest that I have tried. Really fragrant as well.

Red Hook Longhammer IPA - 6.2% ABV. Pretty decent IPA. Might have try some more of it.

Canterbury Brewery's Scrumpkin Ale - 4.6% ABV. Dark golden in colour. Flavoured with pumpkin. It's the brewery's "Halloween" ale. Quite tasty - and different.

Du Pont Saison - 6.2% ABV. Darkish brown in colour. Not quite as hoppy as the other Saisons that I have tried. Interesting. It's a bit higher ABV than the others that I have tried.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:07 pm

Morrisons................

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:13 am

started an alearge of stuff I liked,

Some labels are a bugger to get off

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:41 pm

Feeling a bit less sh!t so bought a few bottles that I'd yet to try:

Innis & Gunn Rum Touch (or whatever it's called - I can't remember!)
Brooklyn Lager (heard people banging on about this...we'll see if it's any good)
Wizard & Sorcery ale (again, might have got the name wrong!)

Already had the I&G and it was really nice. The rum taste goes really well with the main flavour. Very smooth too.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:56 am

Anybody else got the Untapped app? I've got it on my phone and its basically used as a log for all the beers you have. You can rate them, take pictures and write a comment if you want. Everything shows up on a feed that your friends can see.

Worth a look if you are into ales and trying lots of different ones. It can be hard to remember which ones you like as there are so many about now

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:23 pm

I've got it but always forget to use it. I'd be on it all day though!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:33 am

If its anything like grnder, it will be a waste of time with the small portions on offer........................

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Well if anyone wants to add me on Untapped my name is BlackRidge in there :wink:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:57 pm

Added. Will start using it now!

Currently drinking an Imported can of Modus Hoperandi India Pale Ale from Ska Brewing Colorado.... Hoppy as hoppy can be! 6.8% and really really good. :D