Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

flatapex

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by flatapex » Sat May 24, 2014 4:57 pm

My first taste of real ale tonight, robinsons dizzy blonde, ready for the stag party tomorrow. Its nice and a lot different to what I am used to

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sun May 25, 2014 4:13 pm

tour done and some very nice beers tried
robinson's 1892- OH MY GOD I THINK I FELL IN LOVE WITH A BEER
unicorn- quite nice
trooper- oh my god that tastes strong
brazillian- nice pint but not as much to my taste as 1892
hartley's cumbrian xb- nice but everything else i have drunk today pales in comparison to the 1892

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 25, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm on day 3 of my beer festival - and had two handsome chaps turn up! Blackridge and Nakamura :D Hope you enjoyed the free beer guys!!
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon May 26, 2014 11:31 am

markopoloman wrote:I'm on day 3 of my beer festival - and had two handsome chaps turn up! Blackridge and Nakamura :D Hope you enjoyed the free beer guys!!
Was brilliant trying some new ale and ace meeting you. Will definitely be down in the near future for more beers and game talk!

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue May 27, 2014 3:56 pm

Today I tried some of Gadd's Dr. Sunshine's Special Friendly Wheat Beer. Strangely for a wheat beer it's not whiteish in colour - but golden. It 4.2% ABV. It's okay - probably not my favourite beer from Gadd's.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue May 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Just got back from Tesco and picked up 4 bottles of Wells 'Sticky Toffee Ale' 5% :? Will try later and let you know what it's like!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed May 28, 2014 8:29 pm

Forgot to post about the Sticky Toffee Ale.

Smells sweet. Tastes a little sweet if you swish it around your mouth. Strangely tasty :D Go buy one!

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:45 pm

The only thing 'cheap' in Waitrose was Meantime London Stout. Enjoying a few bottles this evening. Very nice but not as nice as Belhaven Black

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:17 am

Hate beer, there's a flavour that just doesn't agree with me, that I find very weak and shuddery (can't really explain it, but I think you might know what I mean, and even strong ones have that underlying taste), but whilst in Belgium just had to try several. And these are what I got my tastebuds around:

Forgot to turn glasses around. We have here 2 glasses of MAES PILS and 1 of GRIMBERGEN BLOND. The Maes were light and refreshing, the Grimbergen was really rather decent stuff. Think Grimbergen was 6%, the Maes 3.5%? Very, very little of that flavour I dislike so much so, yes I would drink Grim again.

Next up for me was a WESTMALLE DUBBEL, a Trappist beer. 7%. Good, solid flavour without being overpowering. Again, very little of that taste. I would have this one again. (I was too slow taking the pic, hence the lack of head.)

Next was a CHIMAY (commonly listed on menus as Chimay Bleu due to the blue label). This is 9%. There was none of that taste. Flavour was not overly strong, but was very...thick and chewy. I really did like this one! This happens to be the strongest of the three Chimays available, the others (un-tasted so far) being Chimay Brun (red label at 7%) and Chimay blond (yellow label at 8%). Liked this so much I brought a boxed set of 6 (2 of each) with glass home. :D

Next was DUVEL. Forget what strength this was. Hated it. Tasted just like the beers I hate - so full of that taste, it was overpowering. I finished it, only because it was my dearest purchase (in a Waffle diner - 5.70 Euro). Cannot understand why this is heralded as one of the best of Belgium.

And finally, a JULIPER and a BRUGSE ZOT. The Juliper wasn't much different to the Maes, but not as nice. The Zot was much better than the Duvel though not a patch on the other three. Both clearly had that taste, but neither was significant. Would drink again if none of the others was available and nothing else took my fancy. Wife and mother-in-law also tried (I took a sip of each) fruit-flavoured beer - one peach and one cherry. The beers were St Louis, both were lambic in style hence the flavouring. Nice, but overpoweringly fruity, especially the cherry.

A peculiarity of Belgian beer is that EVERY brand has its own distinct glass in which it MUST be served. As such, for example, you will never encounter Chimay in a Westmalle glass, or anything in a plain unmarked glass. And although I didn't find it I have seen what KWAK is served in - a must try next time!

Although I wanted to try Belgian Whiskey, I was NOT prepared to pay over 9 Euros to do so! As it was, too, Belgian Owl was never seen at the restaurant and bars frequented and unlikely to be the strongest variety distilled in any event. One to buy when I find a bottle.

Overall, despite my dislike of beer I thought I had chosen rather well and returned home quite pleased. I have tasted beers over here on numerous occasions and have not found a single one that I can manage more than a mouthful of without feeling the need to spit it all out. Belgian, therefore, obviously rules! And whenever I return I will certainly try a wider variety. I think you'd all be quite partial to those I have tried. If you've never had and you find them over here, do try them.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:26 am

Currently for sale in Morrison's for £1.50 a bottle

Now Status quo have one, id rather it be wrestling themed

theres a B&M about a minutes walk away, so Trooper isnt selling so well at Morrison's

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:06 pm

All set for the World Cup:

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:07 pm

I dont think ive seen a "Disappointment" ale yet

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:21 pm

I do like Belgian ales. I don't quite understand what 'that' taste is though Sputryk??!! English ale has so many different styles and flavours.

I'm currently drinking a pint of Out of Step IPA by Offbeat Brewery (5.8%). It is really bloody good stuff!

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:18 am

Sorry, but can't describe it properly, Marko. Maybe it's the hops? The Duvel that I had tasted of nothing else but that taste, and that is a flavour I detect in every beer I've ever had though in some, such as Chimay bleu, it is barely detectable (and, hence, why I like it). To my tastebuds, Duvel tastes just like a stock-standard lager. Duvel is available in supermarkets, so if you've not had....

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Wantsum Brewery have made a "real ale style lager" - it's called Wantsum Preussen Pilsner. It's very golden in colour and very smooth. It didn't exactly excite my tastebuds that much though - still, it's only the second "real ale style lager" that I've tried. It's 4.3% ABV.

Does anyone get beers from the Wantsum Brewery? Is it just a London and Kent thing?