Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:49 pm

Tonight I am drinking (from my Sainsburys raid!)..

Batemans BLACK PEPPER ALE! 5.1% from their Bohemian Brews range. Comes with a sachet of pepper :shock:

It says on the bottle:
An unmistakable aroma tickles the nose.
A subtle tingle of crushed black pepper with bellowing heat .
A clean and beautifully balanced beer.
A perfect match for popcorn and strawberries!

So, I did as suggested - poured the beer into my glass and sprinkled my sachet of black pepper into it.

Apart from wanting to sneeze, this was an extremely bland ale :roll: I could taste the pepper - just. I get the feeling they produced an ale that really tasted of nothing and had to find some way of getting something that resembles flavour into it! They failed. :evil:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sat Sep 21, 2013 12:21 pm

Went to the adnams brewery tour at southwold yesterday,

Ive been on the tring tour a few times, so kinda know the process, but it was nice to take a walk round a different brewery.
It includes tasters of 4 beers, 4 wines and some adnams spirits. also, they launched a lager yesterday and we got to try that too

Trouble was that all of the different beers/wines/spirits are within about 30 mins at the end so one finishes the tour feeling a little hazy

well worth a trip if you are in the area
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:25 pm

martin_lovick wrote:Went to the adnams brewery tour at southwold yesterday,

Ive been on the tring tour a few times, so kinda know the process, but it was nice to take a walk round a different brewery.
It includes tasters of 4 beers, 4 wines and some adnams spirits. also, they launched a lager yesterday and we got to try that too

Trouble was that all of the different beers/wines/spirits are within about 30 mins at the end so one finishes the tour feeling a little hazy

well worth a trip if you are in the area
I'd be all over that. Adnams Broadside is one of my favourites and we shift a fair bit at my shop. Having it on a 3 for a fiver deal at all times helps :D

Fullers London Porter is on offer in Waitrose at the moment, something like £1.67 a bottle. Another one high up there on my list. Lovely stuff. Shame they wont put Golden Pride on offer ....

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:09 pm

Yeah, Adnams is an awesome brewery. Just sold out of Adnams Lighthouse at the club and for a 3.4%ale, it is packed with flavour.

Tonight (well, it is 3am and I am just in from work), from my Sainsburys raid I am drinking something I can only describe as Feckin lovely :D Hardknott 'Infra Red' 6.2%

It says: An Oxymoronic IPA as hoppy as a bucket full of frogs! :mrgreen: And it is a dark red IPA. AND it most certainly is mighty hoppy - tastes really really good and will be on my 'Must buy again very soon' list....

martin_lovick

Post by martin_lovick » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:43 am

Indeed, I was on the broadside all of last week!

also, its interesting fact, its stronger in the bottle than the pump because in the pump, the keg goes through a second fermentation
Have you played Atari Today?

ebay stuff for sale http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/martin_lovick/m.html

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:52 am

B&M seems to be a nice place to get ale from (at a decent price)

That was the last bottle left so I nabbed it (99p)

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:34 pm

I recently tried some Goacher's Gold Star on draught. It is nice golden ale with a hoppy flavour.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:59 pm

Another new ale that I tried is Wantsum Green Hop. Nice golden Autumn ale.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Sep 29, 2013 2:02 pm

Here's a few that I tried recently :-

Bottled

Lancaster Amber - An amber coloured ale with a sweet aftertaste.

Lancaster Black - A stout. Creamy and rich.

From the keg

Goacher's Gold Star - A golden coloured ale.

Kent Session Pale Ale - A lowish ABV ale. Quite a mellow flavour.

Titantic Triple Screw - I tried a few beers from the Titantic brewery a few years ago and I wasn't that impressed with them. I've got to say that I haven't changed my opinion.

Gadd's Green Hop Beer - Hmmm, interesting. It was okay. The whole "green hop beer"(basically made from freshly picked hops and then brewed is quite a new phenomenon). It wasn't as good as the one from the Wantsum brewery.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:15 pm

We have had some really good ales from Titanic. Wreckage is a mighty impressive 7.2% and tastes amazing!

Currently on the bar I have Wickwar - Coopers ale 3.5% - actually pretty nice for a poxy 3.5% :o , Peerless Brewery - Uncle Sam 4.5% this is a Red American ale and has what I would call a pretty unique taste to it. Not worked out if I like this one and I have had about 8 pints of it :lol: and finally Penpoint Brewery - AN HOWL 5.6% apparently that translates as THE SUN (It's Cornish ale)... What a stonkingly good ale! I'm sitting here at home with a 2 pint takeaway... :D :D

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Had a pleasant night on Doom Bar. My head is probably going to feel doomed in the morning...
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:21 pm

Oh. Doombar! The NEW biggest selling ale in the country - took 2nd place from London Pride last year and took 1st place form Greene King IPA around about last month I think :?

I find it very hard to get excited about these mass-produced ales anymore. But saying that, a well kept ale is a well kept ale....

Tonight I am drinking Brewdog's 5am Saint (5%). This used to be a very nice beer - but these bottles taste, umm, wrong :o It's almost like they have changed something in the recipe??!! Not enjoyable.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:54 am

@MPM - As you are a master of ales, I wish to ask you a question. A few years ago, I remember seeing a real ale in a pub(pulled from the keg - not in a bottle) and what was unusual about it was that it coloured green. Yep - I know it sounds weird. I can't remember the name of it. I've tried the old internet and so on, but alas - no response. I don't know if it is being made still. If you can help, it would be nice to know what it was called.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:39 am

:? What! You mean it was actually... green! No idea what that is. Will do some research and also ask the guys from CAMRA when they come down on Friday night for the presentation evening at my club :D

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:48 pm

Stonehenge Ales of Salisbury do a green beer called "hint of spring" or something like that.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.