Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

markopoloman

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by markopoloman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:10 pm

Been bringing beer home from work over the last 3 or 4 days. Last night I had Oakham Ales - Scarlet Macaw, a fantastic hoppy 4.4% ale. Exceptional stuff.
Tonight, as I have Sunday off, I have 4 pints of Fullers Golden Pride to consume :mrgreen: So hard to get it on cask. 8.5% and tastes awesome - so much better than the bottled one. I'm 4 swigs into my 1st pint.... typing may become worse as the night goes on :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Analog

Post by Analog » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:09 pm

^ interesting, thought they always prided themselves as maintaining consistency across all their stuff? I remember reading a while back they said they try and get the same quality into their bottles as they get from the pump. maybe I misread that? I have tried a taste test of london pride bottled vs can and there was no difference. can't remember if I have had it on tap though? also did the same with some other beers with can vs bottle and in some cases its a really noticeable difference. golden pride from a bottle I thought was great, I took one over to my friends in laws in czech republic and their father loved the stuff. :)
talking of fullers, I bought a 2015 vintage for my sisters bf this year and should have really picked one up for myself while I was there. they will most probably have sold out by the time I get back round there again!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:26 pm

Well, London Pride is 4.1% from cask and 4.7 in a bottle! There is without a doubt there is a difference. I believe bottled is pasteurised also.
I get the bottled Golden Pride quite often and I can categorically state that the cask is better than the bottle :D

Analog

Post by Analog » Sat Dec 26, 2015 9:28 pm

nice! I will have to try golden pride on tap since its one of my favourites, enjoy the beer! and the day off :D

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:34 pm

markopoloman wrote:Well, London Pride is 4.1% from cask and 4.7 in a bottle! There is without a doubt there is a difference. I believe bottled is pasteurised also.
I get the bottled Golden Pride quite often and I can categorically state that the cask is better than the bottle :D
Re: the whole bottle versus cask thing, I noticed that with Hobgoblin beer. There's a dramatic difference in taste when it's served from the cask(it's very smooth) rather than the bottled version.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Dec 28, 2015 4:46 pm

markopoloman wrote:Well, London Pride is 4.1% from cask and 4.7 in a bottle! There is without a doubt there is a difference. I believe bottled is pasteurised also.
Went in to Sainsburys the other day. Golden Pride was in the 3 for £5! :shock:

Picked up a few for myself and as presents for others

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:41 pm

I have just tried some Charles Wells' Dogfish Head IPA, at 4.5% ABV. It's a craft type beer. Meh - alright. You can taste its hoppiness, but not much else.

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:04 pm

Last night's beer of choice:

Almost no taste of hops, just how I like it. And at 8.5%.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:25 pm

I've had a over xmas 2 bottles of trooper which is a very nice drink a bottle of guiness west indies porter and i've got to say as nice as it is theres not notes of choclate or toffee as the bottle claims and the taste isnt that much of a departure from your normal stout and i also had a botttle of crabbies and what a load of crap that was it tasted neither alcholic or of ginger ale apart from that i had some mulled wine which was really nice some chardonay some sharaz some strongbow somw carling 4 cans of a larger from aldi that was very nice and some stubby largers that were nice4 as well but its the first time i have drank in a long long time so everytime i had some booze i was especting the hang over but it never came
This guy are sick

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:43 pm

I'm drinking a bottle of Heatherwood Craft Beer Co. Purple Panther Porter 5%

Whilst wondering around the isles at Lidl I came across this little collection of ales from Heatherwood - a brewery new to me. Having read the blurb on the back I was intrigued to read that it was Lidl's own brewery!

It is a really bloody good porter :D Good malty taste with a hint of dark bitter chocolate and a nice creamy head. Recommended. Should have bought more than 4 :lol:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Bacchus Cherry Beer... 5.8%

strangely nice with my Lamb Rogan Josh :D

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:35 am

markopoloman wrote:I'm drinking a bottle of Heatherwood Craft Beer Co. Purple Panther Porter 5%

Whilst wondering around the isles at Lidl I came across this little collection of ales from Heatherwood - a brewery new to me. Having read the blurb on the back I was intrigued to read that it was Lidl's own brewery!

It is a really bloody good porter :D Good malty taste with a hint of dark bitter chocolate and a nice creamy head. Recommended. Should have bought more than 4 :lol:
The Hatherwood Purple Panther is actually brewed at Jennings for Lidl & the Green Gecko is brewed at Marston's :wink:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:14 pm

Well that's a bummer! Will have to do more research next time... to good to be true.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:12 am

Some new ones for me that I just got delivered, I haven't tried any yet but am looking forward to the breakfast stout.

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 am

Goose Island IPA - 5.9% ABV. A hoppy IPA US style craft beer. Meh, okay - but nothing special.

Lagunitas IPA - 6.2% ABV. Another hoppy US craft IPA. Hmmm - okay, but than the former one, but again not going to tempt me away from Brewdog's one.