Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:50 pm

I recently had a pint of Brakspear's Triple III - a strongish beer at 6.7%. It's quite darkish brown in colour.

I've also tried Mr. Trotter's Chestnut Ale - ABV 4% - dark brown in colour with a bittersweet aftertaste.

I've also tried Oakham Ale's Scarlet Macaw - ABV 4.4% - Has a fruity taste to it.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I recently had a pint of Brakspear's Triple III - a strongish beer at 6.7%. It's quite darkish brown in colour.

I've also tried Mr. Trotter's Chestnut Ale - ABV 4% - dark brown in colour with a bittersweet aftertaste.

I've also tried Oakham Ale's Scarlet Macaw - ABV 4.4% - Has a fruity taste to it.
2 really good ales there. Brakespear Tripple is fantastic - although Sainsbury's used to do it in 500ml bottles - but now only do it in 330ml :evil:
Oakham Scarlet Macaw is just superb! Won our Beer of the festival last summer.

Mr Trotters Chestnut Ale was average at best. Everyone went on about the really odd flavour. Not a popular beer to have on the bar.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:19 am

markopoloman wrote:
Katzkatz wrote:I recently had a pint of Brakspear's Triple III - a strongish beer at 6.7%. It's quite darkish brown in colour.

2 really good ales there. Brakespear Tripple is fantastic - although Sainsbury's used to do it in 500ml bottles - but now only do it in 330ml :evil:
Oakham Scarlet Macaw is just superb! Won our Beer of the festival last summer.

Mr Trotters Chestnut Ale was average at best. Everyone went on about the really odd flavour. Not a popular beer to have on the bar.

B&Ms do the 500ml bottle. I believe the bottled version is 7.2%?

Roo

Post by Roo » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:01 am

Had a night on the Happy Chappy and Rogue Wave Cromarty Brewing pale ales last night, and very nice they were too - while some night disagree, I felt they both had quite a robust, fruity palate. Liked them a lot.

In other news, the real ale pub I used to work in closed down on Saturday. There's not too many left round here now...

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:04 pm

I'll be enjoying a few pints of Old Speckled Hen tonight! The proper one, not the crappy smooth one that some pub-restaurant chains serve. :lol:

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:48 am

Co-op's Bumble Bee Honey Ale. ABV 4.6%. It's pretty good, with a smooth finish and nice honey flavour.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:57 am

Got a bottle of this whilst I was down in Dorset. Tried it, a nice beer.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:30 pm

I think Waitrose may be discontinuing Golden Pride. It was down to £2.50 a bottle so I picked one up to treat myself. Been on antibiotics for 2weeks and REALLY fancied something to drink. It's fantastic. I hope it isnt disappearing. I dont know anywhere else that sells it

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:36 pm

Sainsburys - Alder Road, Poole Sell it. A bit more expensive than £2.50 though!!

I've got a cracking new ale on the bar at the mo. From Waen Brewery in taffyland - called 'Newton's Law' and at 6.8% packs a nice punch :D

Katzkatz

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:08 am

I tried two ones from the new microbrewery in Kent - Time and Tide.

Spratwaffler Pale Ale - 3.7%. A golden light ale with a citrus aftertaste.

Smugglers Stout 5.2 %. A dark stout. Very smooth.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat May 03, 2014 9:02 pm

Well, what a day!

Started off at 9 this morning down at Bournemouth Brewing Co. (my son works there)... But today was a special day, a day where I brewed my very first ale :D
I was given a completely free choice of what to brew (as long as it was different to the other 'specials' that had been brewed the previous couple of weeks). So seeing as there was a standard 'Hobgoblin' style ale (4.5%) and a hoppy Citra ale (3.7%) - I decided to brew a Wheat Beer at around 4.8%.

This is beer made as a craft. No fancy stuff, just plain old hard work from start to finish. The end result should be a cloudy wheat beer and at a very nice 5% :mrgreen:

Got to wait 3 weeks now to see what it is like. That is going to be an awesome day as it is Bournemouth Brewing Co's 1st Birthday and will have a selection of 9 ales (it's 5 regular brews, a vintage stout (6.3%) and the three specials).

Black ridge - if you fancy trying it..... Friday 13th June is the day/night... and I'll be there for a good chunk of it. Hog roast and lots of other things going on too. :D

Oh, and when I finished at the brewery today at 7pm, I went home and changed and then onto the Club for an evening shift. Just got in at 1.50am.

What a great day!

haiku

Post by haiku » Sun May 04, 2014 4:27 am

i more like real ale, but actually i drink everything.
also love cider. And dark bears. And red wine and white.
And cocktails....

But ale is better than lager there is no doubt in that.
The world is full of magical things patiently waiting for our wits to grow sharper.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sun May 04, 2014 9:12 am

markopoloman wrote:
Black ridge - if you fancy trying it..... Friday 13th June is the day/night... and I'll be there for a good chunk of it. Hog roast and lots of other things going on too. :D
I'll be working most the day and will have to be up at 4am the next day for work. Shame. I need to get to more beer/ale events. I go to Wimborne Ale & Cider fest every October but its not enough :twisted:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 04, 2014 8:00 pm

Thats a shame. There is always my beer fest! May 23rd - 26th with 33 ales 6 ciders, hog roast, bbq and open for 46+ hours in total! :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun May 04, 2014 8:11 pm

Oh, and tonight I have some ale from work... Brass Castle 'Sunshine' 5.7%. THIS ALE IS AWESOME! Really hoppy with a strong grapefruity taste and smell. If you ever get the chance - get some :D