Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Black Ridge

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by Black Ridge » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:28 am

They are small 330ml bottles from Waitrose. Its funny how you can Meantime ales in 330ml or 750ml bottles just like Innis & Gunn.

Had a bottle of Fullers London Porter the other day. Golden Pride is absolutely lovely but my god its strong. Surprisingly so for its lighter colour. I try not to have too many of them. I love stronger ales but the problem is i find it easy to get a taste for it. Better to keep them as a one off every now and then.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:36 pm

Got a feeling these cans of Bombardier have gone off.

It seems to taste bloody horrible

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:10 pm

Ale... in cans... NO!

Ale in bottles is just about ok - but cans - they never taste right for some reason.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:16 pm

markopoloman wrote:Ale... in cans... NO!

Ale in bottles is just about ok - but cans - they never taste right for some reason.
I-it was only 49p

Its beer, beer is ok in cans.
Would pour it into a glass but bloody fruit flys like to dive in
On the plus side this bottle of pale ale Innis and gunn is taking the taste away

I AM MAN!
I NO NEED BOTTLE OPENER!

Watching the air show ale in hand as theres bugger ll else to do in Rhyl these days

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:14 pm

I noticed that "real lager" got mentioned in a previous posting, and a few nights ago in a local Wetherspoons, I sampled some. I think it was called "Schwalleion" or something like that. A lot less gassy than the pasteurised lagers. Quite decent for a lager.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:56 pm

Real lager is the new upcoming thing. At the end of the day - it is just a real ale using lager hops and the lagering process... The thing is, they are not gas filled tasteless mas-produced bile - they have flavour, body and are REAL! :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:58 pm

Anyone here into home brewing? I'm just about to start up my own little brewery in my den (or maybe at work)... Equipment ordered :D Should prove fun.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:27 pm

markopoloman wrote:Anyone here into home brewing? I'm just about to start up my own little brewery in my den (or maybe at work)... Equipment ordered :D Should prove fun.
I've thought about it. There is a stall at Wimborne Market that is full of the gear to make it. Its all a bit overwhelming and i wouldnt quite know where to start. My girlfriends bro made a batch of cider earlier in the year which was lovely.

On another note, i visited the Hall & Woodhouse Brewery today. Didnt have time to do a tour but picked up a few of their ciders and a bottle of hopping hare as its been warm recently. Also picked up a lovely Cricket ale glass for a quid which i was chuffed about

And before you say it, I like Hall & Woodhouse :wink:

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:47 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
And before you say it, I like Hall & Woodhouse :wink:
Weirdo :lol:

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:39 am

markopoloman wrote:Anyone here into home brewing? I'm just about to start up my own little brewery in my den (or maybe at work)... Equipment ordered :D Should prove fun.
I got a home brew set up for my birthday last month. As I type this I have so far brewed & bottled 2 batches with another due to be started in the next week or two to be ready in time for Xmas :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:34 am

Excellent! What have you been brewing and is it tasty?!

Prof Mango B Coconut

Post by Prof Mango B Coconut » Fri Sep 13, 2013 11:50 am

I used to a lot, until I realised just how much beer I was drinking - it's surprising how quickly a 40-pint keg empties :)

Cooper's IPA was/is a particular favourite home brew and there are a lot of other kits that make pretty decent beers. I also dabbled with making my own brews from scratch with some success, but ultimately it wasn't worth the effort in the long run compared with getting a kit.

If you're looking for a supplier of stuff, I recommend this lot: http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/index.html and it's definitely worth dropping in if you're ever near Aldershot.
Suppose you were an idiot; suppose also that you were an XBox One owner. But I repeat myself.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:26 pm

Nice! Will be looking at that site for top-up stuff. And maybe if I like brewing, will go for one of those bigger kits for brewing from scratch...

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:24 pm

Get your arses down to Sainsburys! They have an awesome new range of ales on offer at £1.50 each...

Tonight I am drinking 'Harbour Brewing Co' PORTER No6 (6.8%) :D :D :D Now this is what a porter is all about. Fairly sweet with heavy coffee taste. I'm going back for more...

I wonder what one of the 18 different bottles I'll try tomorrow?!

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:31 am

markopoloman wrote:Excellent! What have you been brewing and is it tasty?!
So far i've done a Woodfordes Wherry & a Wilkinson's own Golden Ale.

The Wherry has been in the bottle now for 4 1/2 weeks and is tasting prettty good but needs a few more weeks until i'm happy with it. The Wilko kit has been bottled for less than 2 weeks so not had a taster of that apart from a sneaky sample from the FV when conducting the hydrometer test and it has potential to be a good one 8)

Next up i'm planning to do a darker ale (porter, old English ale or stout) for the winter montths. It's coming along nicely :D