Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Re: Real Ale Drinkers or Lagerboys?

Post by djcarlos » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:38 am

Nicely done mate!

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:58 am

For anyone living or visiting the Hull area our real ale & cider festival is taking place 16th - 18th April once again in the magnificent Holy Trinity Church & as per I will be working over the full 3 days :D

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:20 pm

A bit far for me to go! But have fun :D

My next Beer fest is 22nd - 25th May. Not massive with 30+ ales and 15+ ciders. But at least you get to try pretty much every ale over a weekend :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:28 am

Cheers mate.

This will be the third one that I have worked and second as bar manager.

This year is our biggest festival to date with 125 different real ales on both handpull and gravity (150 casks) and over 60 different bottled beers and ciders.

Last year we had over 110 casks and had sold out of everything by 4.30pm on the third (and final) day so fingers crossed we will have enough this year to see us through!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:06 pm

Not had the American oak pale ale one yet, same with the Sweet chariot, if id of spotted that one last weekend id of gotten a load

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sat Mar 28, 2015 11:59 pm

The innis & gunn is jolly good. Marston's can stick it - obviously that goes for the Wychwood stuff too as that is Marston's also.

goldenone

Post by goldenone » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:23 pm

News broke yesterday that Marstons have bought Thwaites for a figure in the region of £25mil and will continue to brew Wainwright & Lancaster Bomber amongst others.

Not holding out too much hope that the Thwaites beers will ever be the same :(

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:49 pm

Yeah saw that news. They are just going to eat up popular middle/large breweries and inflict their 'Blandbrew (TM)' on all of us.

It's a bloody good job there are so many micro breweries popping up all over the place producing fantastic and exciting ales and eating into Greene King/Marstons/Molsen Coors sales.

woody130496

Post by woody130496 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:33 pm

so i finally got round to trying ale and i really enjoyed the Nicholson's IPA much more then the golden dragon so for now Nicholson's IPA is the drink of choice until i can find some more good ale

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:13 pm

markopoloman wrote:Yeah saw that news. They are just going to eat up popular middle/large breweries and inflict their 'Blandbrew (TM)' on all of us.

It's a bloody good job there are so many micro breweries popping up all over the place producing fantastic and exciting ales and eating into Greene King/Marstons/Molsen Coors sales.
If they ruin those then there is still moorhouse's, a great brewery from the pendle area and from not far away from thwaites. Manchester also has holt's, robinson's etc. If they ruin real ale there is still mainstream bitter and stout which is infinitely better than mainstream lagers.

Today at work was one of my worst for a long time, last weekend we went to Dunham Massey and now we have a national trust membership I have started to buy a bottle of beer if they sell a local brew, tonight is a bottle of Dunham Massey brewery light mild. Really nice :)

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:23 pm

goldenone wrote:News broke yesterday that Marstons have bought Thwaites for a figure in the region of £25mil and will continue to brew Wainwright & Lancaster Bomber amongst others.

Not holding out too much hope that the Thwaites beers will ever be the same :(
Their website says they have been brewed by marstons since the start of 2014.

As mark said, more microbreweries than ever, ale is trendy finally, if they make crap they will lose drinkers

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:14 pm

I have a pint of No.1000 by Bournemouth Brewing Co. here in front of me!
It has been brewed to celebrate me having 1000 different ales on the bar at work :D Oh boy does it taste good - although at 8.5% I think the one pint is just about enough for now :lol:

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:55 am

I rarely drink any more, maybe a couple of glasses of wine a month at most these days (haven't had an ale or lager for over a year). I used to like cider and eastern european lagers though. Never a fan of ale.

I'm probably on the wrong thread for the first sentence. :oops:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:31 am

markopoloman wrote:Yeah saw that news. They are just going to eat up popular middle/large breweries and inflict their 'Blandbrew (TM)' on all of us.

...until the big boys buy up the competition in the same way that Walkers and Facebook tend to do.

The only Thwaites ale I've had is Lancaster Bomber and it wasn't anything special.

Picked up something from B&M called Snowman's Revenge so I'll see what that's like!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:52 am

Megamixer wrote:

...until the big boys buy up the competition in the same way that Walkers and Facebook tend to do.

The only Thwaites ale I've had is Lancaster Bomber and it wasn't anything special.

Picked up something from B&M called Snowman's Revenge so I'll see what that's like!
wainwright > lancaster bomber