I know theyre only doing their job but..ffs..

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

RetroAerosmith

I know theyre only doing their job but..ffs..

Post by RetroAerosmith » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:05 am

I finally swallowed my pride and logged onto the Jobcentre Benefit website..i filled in the forms online and read that they would ring me back in roughly two days, great I thought thatll be after christmas.

10 mins later the phone rang, twas the job centre to complete my details..ok fine i thought christ theyre keen..well i was fine until i was asked the following stupid questions were.

1. Do you or have you in the past intended to claim benefits for another person apart from yourself while working- without me answering she said - i must warn you sir that some of our calls are recorded and kept on file for future reference. As if theyre gonna keep them in case i do..

2. Do you intend to activley seek employment within the 1st or 2nd or 3rd month after you initially sign on. - the first week would have been better for me i said - she then said "do you still wish to carry on with this application if you are intending to find work in the next week as any benefits can and will be reclaimed along with the ccj fine. - i just thought theyre taking the money back before ive even had it...

3 When claiming your benefits a member of your local JC can ring your home phone and ask what you have done that day to activly seek employment.

She then bleated on about the fact the benefit system isnt there to be abused and that every case is looked at individually on a monthly basis and that if i havent found a job by the end of the 2nd month then i should lower my expectations.
The job hunting forms i fill in will be scrutinised to compare with jobs that they think im suitable for so say being a manager for 10 yrs, i can apply for a road sweepers job(im not knocking roadsweepers) but they have no policy where a road sweeper has to apply for managers jobs,they allow road sweepers NOT to apply for managers jobs but not vice versa....she said the more skilled you are the better chance we have of slotting you in somewhere.....

I just thought what a censored cheek, your not slotting me in any fuuking where luv just to get your figures down.

We finished up and arranged an interview at the Job centre - cant wait :wink:

Then 20 mins before writing this she was back on the phone saying that the afternoons updated jobs had now been posted and I was welcome to have a look to see if there was anything available-she even said theyre looking for forecourt attendants in merthyr £5.87 hr...like 30 miles away..tw@t..i nearly asked if she was ringing every dole scumbag in the south wales area or just me......

sorry for the rant but i didnt want to bump and old post just for the job centre phone monkeys...

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:10 am

I know the feeling.

I've only ever been unemployed once, when I lived in Blackpool.
I had the same dire treatment from the Job Centre ...... they're a bunch of c**ts.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:12 am

Sounds like they are doing their job to me. You may be a perfectly reasonable guy who is only signing on because you have to and will actively look for work without their prompting, but not everyone will and them damn well should be checking people are doing something to look for a job.

To call them a bunch of c***ts for protecting my taxes :roll: . I just wish they had more power so they could stop the scroungers from sitting on their fat arses taking bungs while we are trying to work through the recession.
Last edited by SirClive on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:13 am

No comment.

<mutter mutter ungrateful punters mutter> ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:29 am

Yeah gotta say I'm with SirClive on this one... I was unemployed for nearly 3 months in 2002 and while it was a pain in the arse signing on every week and going through all the job specs that I was never going to be suitable for, I saw plenty of people that weren't even trying to find a job and just scrounging. If their policies are now forcing these people to be more active in finding work, that can only be a good thing!

The Job Centre can be damn helpful too. They paid my travelling expenses when I went to interviews, regardless of the outcome. That was pretty cool...
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:39 am

its hard out there...
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

boyo

Post by boyo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 am

Thankfully in my career to date, even though being made redundant twice, I have never been on the dole.

Been lucky to walk into jobs the following Monday after finishing with a nice chunk of redundancy money (£8k on one occassion).

I really feel for you guys going through all this crap and hope to hell it all comes good in 2009.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:04 am

I have absolutely no respect for the Job Centre whatsoever. After what happened to my boyfriend this year - someone who has always worked and paid his taxes to be turned down while all these jobless immigrants and dole dossers who haven't paid anything to society get heaps of cash and help, absolutely makes my skin boil. Thankfully we were okay in the end as he walked into another job within a few days. Considering we had only had our mortgage for a month we could have been in a lot of trouble otherwise!

I'm glad to see they're making more of an effort to control all the spungers but it's still a very bad system.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:06 am

Rinoa wrote:I have absolutely no respect for the Job Centre whatsoever. After what happened to my boyfriend this year - someone who has always worked and paid his taxes to be turned down while all these jobless immigrants and dole dossers who haven't paid anything to society get heaps of cash and help, absolutely makes my skin boil. Thankfully we were okay in the end as he walked into another job within a few days. Considering we had only had our mortgage for a month we could have been in a lot of trouble otherwise!

I'm glad to see they're making more of an effort to control all the spungers but it's still a very bad system.
Yes it can be.
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:13 am

I have absolutely no respect for punters who whine about not getting money when they have no right to it...
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:07 pm

Id rather have a job than spend more of my time in a job centre

(I did post a story about it in another thread)
Well in the upcoming year im going to sign up for some agencys (despite my hatred for them)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:24 pm

DPrinny wrote:Id rather have a job than spend more of my time in a job centre

(I did post a story about it in another thread)
Well in the upcoming year im going to sign up for some agencys (despite my hatred for them)
Same.
Last edited by Fred83 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:47 pm

I have no idea what it's like to have to sign on. I've had mates who went ages without finding a job but a few of them have just been fickle, it's not the hardest in the world to find some sort of menial thing that pays. Of course it's a lot easier if like me you've just been looking for a part time job that pays a few hours now and again as opposed to a full time job with hopefully career prospects. I can understand that would be frustrating and difficult to find.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:02 pm

A bit different in our area though Elgin. Anyone around here who wants a job can get one. It might not be great, but it'll pay the bills.

Other bits of the country don't have that choice.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:10 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:I have no idea what it's like to have to sign on. I've had mates who went ages without finding a job but a few of them have just been fickle, it's not the hardest in the world to find some sort of menial thing that pays. Of course it's a lot easier if like me you've just been looking for a part time job that pays a few hours now and again as opposed to a full time job with hopefully career prospects. I can understand that would be frustrating and difficult to find.
I think that's the problem a lot of people have - they expect to jump straight into a £20k+ job and are too proud to take anything around min. wage or part time. It's not ideal but surely it's a start and better than being on the dole?!

I know now's probably not the best time for finding work, but the UK certainly wasn't short of jobs before this credit crunch rubbish.