Job Centre So Depressing

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:01 am

Exactly the people who do 'put' into the system its only fair that at times you then take something back. Its the ones who have hardly ever worked who instantly take take take.

Must admit job centre staff must hate their job badly though ! Cant be nice, sounds like many seem very rude/crap but i cant believe theyre gonna be employ Oxford grads kinda thing !

I hate the way you go for an interview, hear nothing, panic, then months later they come back to say yes or no or 'actually are you still free ?'. Its like well i was fricking a few months ago when i was worried where my money would come from kinda thing !

If i was unemployed i would obviously be going to the jobcentre etc but i would also make sure i'm busy and not sat at home doing nothing. Would love to work at our local animal rescue place but obviously pays not good, still a volunteer there. Which many other unemployed people could do but seem to be too lazy to move from their sofa

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:23 am

***DELETED***
Last edited by nwosteve on Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:28 am

psj3809 wrote: I hate the way you go for an interview, hear nothing, panic, then months later they come back to say yes or no or 'actually are you still free ?'.
I had a job interview last Spring (coding job), long interview, breezed through the coding test and I seemed to tick all the boxes for what they were looking for and then they dropped the bombshell that they were interviewing over a period of six weeks and I was interview number one. Bloody hell thinks I, waste of a days holiday for this interview and by the time you've made a decision you will either have forgotten who I was or just assume I've got another job. They also gave me a stern lecture about how they'd know if I was slacking off (steady on chaps, I don't work for you or anything) and then the boss asked if his son could come for a run in my car since he was in the market for the exact same sportscar. Very odd. So I ended the interview in my car blasting up a dual carriageway talking shop and cars with the owner's son.

Anyway I got another job shortly after and forgot about them.

Then early this year I had an email from them for the same job saying "we saw your CV on Monster" as clearly the guy who was offered the job and left. I ignored it as wasn't interested having a new job and not being impressed much by them.

Then later in the year I got rung at home by the guy who had interviewed me asking me to come in and in the process of the chat it turned out he had no idea that the CV he had on file was someone he'd had in for interview.

So they'd had me in for interview thinking that a six week leadtime before making a decision would be OK, they'd emailed me not realising I'd been in and then they phoned me not realising I'd been in or that they'd emailed me. And I expect these people to remember to pay me every month?

The only time I've ever burned my bridges regarding a job as I told them pointedly why they had failed to impress me and why I didn't fancy coming in for interview. I expect to hear from them again in six months.

Another weird one I had back when I was 18 for another coding job. A HR MILF sat on the edge of the desk on my side for the whole interview in a skirt so short it should be termed a belt asking me dumb questions about phone manner and tittering repeatedly while saying "well I can't ask you any computer questions because I know nothing about computers, so what shall we talk about?". Back then I was just bemused and wondering if this was some odd test nowadays I would just have walked out.

Coop

RetroAerosmith

Post by RetroAerosmith » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:49 am

The annoying thing for me is because I have been a manger and interviewed other staff etc then when i apply for a job and dont even get a letter or email saying "ive received your application and will contact you shortly" or whatever then I just think its a tad rude....Every person that applied for work with me was interviewed, i even gave them tips on how to improve in future jobs when they left....and im thinking the more you do the less your thought of...if i had treated my staff like crap then id say its karma biting my ass. maybe i expext all other managers to be like me but when you are applying for jobs such as drop and collect drivers or other unskilled work and you dont even get a reply i just think its bad. I dont like telling family when i apply for jobs in case i dont hear from them or dont get it so i think they assume im facebooking all day or xbox all night and having a lie in...I applied for a job 3 weeks ago temporary in the prison service as i thought id like a total change..anyway as i was feeling a bit censored i thought id 5 days holidays away....guess when theyve arranged the interview for --the 2nd day of my holiday abroad...do i risk losing the money for a job i may not get or are things done for a reason and i shouldnt work there anyway...i asked if i could attend an earlier interview and they said nope...so back to the drawing board it is then.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:59 am

Generous in some other countries. But that's their system I guess.
Last edited by Fred83 on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doddsy

Post by Doddsy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:12 am

Coopdevil wrote:
Anyway I got another job shortly after and forgot about them.

Another weird one I had back when I was 18 for another coding job. A HR MILF sat on the edge of the desk on my side for the whole interview in a skirt so short it should be termed a belt asking me dumb questions about phone manner and tittering repeatedly while saying "well I can't ask you any computer questions because I know nothing about computers, so what shall we talk about?". Back then I was just bemused and wondering if this was some odd test nowadays I would just have walked out.

Coop
I've had similiar & strange interviews. In one interview, the woman sitting infront of me kept falling asleep. It was so distracting I wish I'd have said something - maybe it was a test?

A School Governor interviewing me was so old he looked like Mr Burns from the Simpsons! I just couldn't help smirking everytime he spoke. :lol:

Another one - a guy in an interview kept interrupting me all the time and asking why I wanted to work here stating that he read in the paper that there were loads of jobs going for my qualifications. It got so bad that no matter how much I tried to convince him that there really weren't he just wasn't quitting, in the end I felt like telling him; "Oh F*** off!" Like Alan Partridge!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:50 am

Im wondering if the last place that employed me (left due to a major change in hours from 9 to 12 with only a half a hour break and we where ment to be standing up all the time)
I was in the old managers good books for doing loads of emergency over time
If the new company that owns them puts the hours back to 9 id go back

I've had similiar & strange interviews. In one interview, the woman sitting infront of me kept falling asleep. It was so distracting I wish I'd have said something - maybe it was a test?
My strangest was what could only be described as "Tag team interviewing"One person question
Next a different question

I hated the bit when they said "What consoles do you own ?"
How can I name them all without sounding like im bragging ?

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:06 am

DPrinny wrote:Im wondering if the last place that employed me (left due to a major change in hours from 9 to 12 with only a half a hour break
I'm pretty sure thats illegal.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

pforson

Post by pforson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:22 am

Currently I'm on a Sabbatical from work for 3 and a half months. My girlfriend is German and I'm living with her in Germnay lerning to speak german.

Sorry to hear that people have been losing their jobs. It makes me feel guilty about choosing to take unpaid leave! - I'm really lucky actually, work were really really good about letting me have the time off and agreeing to very favourable re-employment terms.

When I left uni I spent 4 months 'signing on' living at my dads and watching Magnum P.I. I do feel somewhat bad about it, but I didn't want to take 'any' job and get stuck living and working in East Anglia.

Anyway, Ich weiss ein bisschen Deutsch, aber ich lerne mehr! Ich muss mein hausaufgaben machen.

Vielen Dank,
Pete
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:19 am

apolgies for those who seen this already,but we cant forget this guy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... eless.html

David

Post by David » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:35 am

15 kids :shock:

How does he get the time? Does he send them all into the next room while he's sh@gging like a madman?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:42 am

Fred83 wrote:apolgies for those who seen this already,but we cant forget this guy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... eless.html
In a weird twisted way i dont blame him though, i blame the government who basically 'encourage' people like him to have more kids as he'll get more money.

If it was tough as anything then many people might stop and think 'god damn i dont want to get her pregnant because....' instead of 'hey if i have another kid thats another xxx amount every month i'll get and a bigger council house' !

My dad was saying in the old days people were ashamed to have tons of kids and not be married, but they lived at home with their parents as they couldnt afford to get their own place. Now we throw money to all of these people like this, just terrible.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:24 pm

There has been much discussion about people who don't want to work.

I have a question:

If you were an employer, would you employ them, bearing in mind there are plenty of 'normal' people looking for work?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:33 pm

I suspect most of these wasters would either not go to an interview and give some crappy reason as to why they didn't.

or

They would go along and deliberately be so bad in the interview that they know they wouldn't get it.

So no i wouldn't have to employ them anyway.

RIK

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:01 pm

psj3809 wrote: My dad was saying in the old days people were ashamed to have tons of kids and not be married, but they lived at home with their parents as they couldnt afford to get their own place. Now we throw money to all of these people like this, just terrible.
your dad would be right,i remember when i was younger,parents used to tell me any single parents or unmarried ones would be shamed,or sent away to nunnery,was like that in old days here anyway