Job Centre So Depressing

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroRik

Job Centre So Depressing

Post by RetroRik » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:04 pm

Just signed on for the second time today. Its just a horrible experience.

Teenage guy next to me was talking to his mate about the fact he should still be in bed as he had taken so many drugs 4 days before he was still on a downer.

Walking about were other crack infested half breeds. :cry:

Now im no snob and don't think im better than anyone else but i really felt out of place. I just felt like i shouldn't have been there. Just a weird vibe :( Really quite degrading...

Anyone else feel like this when you have to go in or is it just me.?
Or am i the only one here unemployed :wink:

RIK

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:13 pm

Sorry to hear that, hope you get some work soon what with Xmas etc.

Been made redundant 3 times before but never have signed on, can imagine the stereotypical scenes though which must be depressing.

Hope you find something soon

How does it work when you sign on ? I heard the government were changing things to make sure people actively look for work ? Just interested

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:16 pm

Cheers psj,

This is my second redundancy in 1 year but the first time i've ever signed on.

Yes you get a little book which you have to fill in saying what you did, when, the outcome and what next... They sign it off every 2 weeks when you sign on.

I find myself making half of it up so it's a complete waste of time really.

RIK

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:18 pm

Well easy to say i know but keep your head up, when i was made redundant the first time i was totally down but that didnt help, just had to keep hoping and finally turned out okay.

Hope you get sorted. Can imagine you really want to get back to work whereas others just want to play the system.

woody.cool

Re: Job Centre So Depressing

Post by woody.cool » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:19 pm

RetroRik wrote:Now im no snob and don't think im better than anyone else but i really felt out of place. I just felt like i shouldn't have been there. Just a weird vibe :( Really quite degrading...

Anyone else feel like this when you have to go in or is it just me.?
Or am i the only one here unemployed :wink:
I've only been in this situation once.
When I lived in Blackpool, I was unemplyoed for a month (didn't take me long to get work). I had to 'sign on' and it was a horrid experience.
There were druggies, chavs, single mothers, lazy idiots etc.

I'm not a snob either, but I felt REALLY out of place, being as I'd worked every day of my working life (no long term illness's & no unemployment up till then)

I really don't wish it on anyone.

I hope you find work soon.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:22 pm

Cheers psj, woody.

Sounds like it isn't just me then... Phew...Thought i was a snob there for a minute.

RIK

clarance

Post by clarance » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:23 pm

I've signed on a few times in the past, and you're so right, it's effin grim.

It does seem to be another world full of people who don't seem to have any self awareness or shame(and that's just the staff, ho ho). Lots of the punters seem to be on first name terms with the staff as well...
Death may be your Santa Claus.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:24 pm

RetroRik wrote:Cheers psj, woody.

Sounds like it isn't just me then... Phew...Thought i was a snob there for a minute.

RIK
When I lived in Blackpool, during my short stint of unemployement, I found it quite intimidating having to mix with these unsavoury characters.
The Job Centre was down a back street which looked really run down and quite rough, I was always on my guard in case some druggy scum decided to try a mug me for my phone or my wallet.

Scary stuff !!!

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:25 pm

clarance wrote:I've signed on a few times in the past, and you're so right, it's effin grim.

It does seem to be another world full of people who don't seem to have any self awareness or shame(and that's just the staff, ho ho). Lots of the punters seem to be on first name terms with the staff as well...
lol. Yeh i see what you mean. Me having Tonsillitis doesn't help i suppose. :(

RIK

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:47 pm

know how you feel rik.
Last edited by Fred83 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:03 pm

I dislike the way they presume you're thick as opposed to simply casting your net as it were. There aren't enough people there who go to actually use it as a tool to find a job, they are simply signing on. I guess the former go on the internet to use it instead...

It does do my head in though when people think they're too good to go to the job centre. Being at uni I get quite a lot of that - people complaining there aren't any jobs at all, and when I ask them 'have you been down to the job centre?' they reply with something along the lines of 'ah no, thats where stupid people go?'

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:06 pm

It does do my head in though when people think they're too good to go to the job centre. Being at uni I get quite a lot of that - people complaining there aren't any jobs at all, and when I ask them 'have you been down to the job centre?' they reply with something along the lines of 'ah no, thats where stupid people go?'
that is beginning to bite some people,some of them are taking on min wage jobs to keep their houses and other stuff

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:10 pm

oli_lar wrote:It does do my head in though when people think they're too good to go to the job centre. Being at uni I get quite a lot of that - people complaining there aren't any jobs at all, and when I ask them 'have you been down to the job centre?' they reply with something along the lines of 'ah no, thats where stupid people go?'
I dont think people who go down the job centre are thick, BUT there is a massive stereotype due to so many spongers/dossers etc.

The 3 times i've been made redundant i've trawled through job sites online trying to find work, nearly taking on some very basic jobs (just to cover bills) before finding an alright job i've had for a while.

I'm no snob but signing on is just something i've always said to myself i've never wanted to do. Same for accept money from my parents for a house or car etc, always wanted to stand on my own two feet.

But granted one time i was made redundant i was down to my last 100 quid, had no other money, no savings or that so then i would have probably signed on or perhaps asked my folks for help but i got a job just before i ran out.

When i've looked in the past theres always been jobs out there, building sites, supermarkets etc. What does my head in are lazy people who just want to do no work whatsoever and live off the state and wont accept any job. NOT talking about any people in this thread, i'm sure you know the types you read about or see. I've had friends take on really low level jobs just to make ends meet, keep in that 'working' state of mind and knowing that its just temporary and doesnt mean they'll be stacking cans of beans for the next 30 years. Its just to tide them over.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:13 pm

the welfare system is a victim of itself.
Last edited by Fred83 on Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Decent people who just want to work and have pride in what they do and how they live i've got a ton of respect for. They dont want to be out of work, they want to work whatever the job and its not their fault theyre out of work if theyve been laid off etc.

The ones at home not bothering to look for jobs or moaning theres nothing out there i want to do (you cant be choosy, just do some work !) are the ones who wind me up a treat. Quite happy to sit at home and use their dole money to live on and arent bothered one bit by that.