Gamestation... MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

big1aust

Re:

Post by big1aust » Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 pm

SirClive wrote: Got to the till to be told that games over a tenner aren't included!
They tried that one on me in Windsor and I pointed to the stand that said games in that section are all BOGOF - the bloke said "that's not meant for anything over a tenner" and so I asked him if trading standards would see it his way and he backed down and BOGOF'd em. Sometimes you've got to be hard with these people and remember that they probably gave a maximum of a quid for traded in Final fantasy's and the like and want to bang em out at 20 quid.

Cheers
Big Aust

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon May 15, 2006 3:00 am

paranoid marvin wrote:I agree that certain games are overpriced and will never shift
My local store has had a battered boxed Super Star Wars for 6 months now
It's unlikely it'll ever be sold,but it's also unlikely that it will ever be reduced in price
Which is a problem with any centrally controlled used games system. Until about 2003 game let the stores buy and price used games. As soon as they took control the amount of crap we got.... and kept was astronomical.

Pro Evo 1s that we'd reduced to paying £1 for and selling at £2.99 were suddenly the same £5 trade in as most £19.99new games and would then sit on the shelf forever at £9.99.

As to bigaust - It says stickered titles only. You were the unreasonable one but I'm sure you consider yourself a big man for bullying someone trying to do his job. "Be hard on these poeple". He's not a 3 year old kid.

As for the quid comment, well clearly you read neither this thread nor anything else and are just making generally uninformed statements like you clearly did in the store.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Elgin_McQueen

Re:

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon May 15, 2006 7:25 am

[quote="Dudley] As to bigaust - It says stickered titles only. You were the unreasonable one but I'm sure you consider yourself a big man for bullying someone trying to do his job. "Be hard on these poeple". He's not a 3 year old kid.

As for the quid comment, well clearly you read neither this thread nor anything else and are just making generally uninformed statements like you clearly did in the store.[/quote]

Fairly certain every time i've seen the bogof notices they simply say "all retro stock" though I always look at the boxes themelves to see if they have a bogof sticker. Don't recall seeing any posts telling us how much gamestation pay for old copies of final fantasy.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Mon May 15, 2006 7:30 am

Also noticed their console pricing list they had up in the window the other day, if yu take in a n N64, they'll give you a whole £4, wooooah, I mean you'd get more at a car boot sale!!!
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon May 15, 2006 12:12 pm

Once you pay £6 to have a stall.

And stand there for 3 hours.

James A

Post by James A » Mon May 15, 2006 12:52 pm

When i worked for Electronics Boutique in 2000 we had to individually price the games as there was no database. It was a nightmare as on my first day i was asked to trade stuff in and i didn't have a clue what it was worth. In the long run though i can see why they have a database as we screwed alot of people over who traded stuff in to get stuff for ourselves on the cheap. Something im not to proud of today, but hey i was a poor student.

mementomike

Re:

Post by mementomike » Mon May 15, 2006 2:38 pm

Dudley wrote:
paranoid marvin wrote:I agree that certain games are overpriced and will never shift
My local store has had a battered boxed Super Star Wars for 6 months now
It's unlikely it'll ever be sold,but it's also unlikely that it will ever be reduced in price
Which is a problem with any centrally controlled used games system. Until about 2003 game let the stores buy and price used games. As soon as they took control the amount of crap we got.... and kept was astronomical.

Pro Evo 1s that we'd reduced to paying £1 for and selling at £2.99 were suddenly the same £5 trade in as most £19.99new games and would then sit on the shelf forever at £9.99.

As to bigaust - It says stickered titles only. You were the unreasonable one but I'm sure you consider yourself a big man for bullying someone trying to do his job. "Be hard on these poeple". He's not a 3 year old kid.

As for the quid comment, well clearly you read neither this thread nor anything else and are just making generally uninformed statements like you clearly did in the store.
just wondering did i get the gist of this correclty?
You work for GAME?

Back to the point... If they arent prepared to lable up properly then Bigaust has every right to recieve what is being advertised?!
I work for Mcdonalds (no shame! lol) and if we advertised something incorrectly I know their wouldnt be a single customer that held no fear in challenging me if I said sorry its been advertised wrong.

cheers

mike

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon May 15, 2006 2:40 pm

James A wrote:When i worked for Electronics Boutique in 2000 we had to individually price the games as there was no database. It was a nightmare as on my first day i was asked to trade stuff in and i didn't have a clue what it was worth. In the long run though i can see why they have a database as we screwed alot of people over who traded stuff in to get stuff for ourselves on the cheap. Something im not to proud of today, but hey i was a poor student.

I've always thought that Game/EB had terrible trade in prices
Mine all go back to Gamestation
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

James A

Post by James A » Mon May 15, 2006 5:08 pm

Was a long time ago and i don't know what they trade now because i don't work for them though. Gamestation ain't angels on trading stuff. I had Rainbow Islands for the Master System and it kep't coming up as £8 trade in. The guy behind the counter over rode it and put it in as £2. Luckily i twiged to what he'd done and managed to get it back off him,

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon May 15, 2006 5:12 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:
Fairly certain every time i've seen the bogof notices they simply say "all retro stock" .
Thats what its like in the Halifax shop.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Mon May 15, 2006 5:25 pm

mementomike wrote: just wondering did i get the gist of this correclty?
You work for GAME?
I did during 2003/4.

Back to the point... If they arent prepared to lable up properly then Bigaust has every right to recieve what is being advertised?!
I work for Mcdonalds (no shame! lol) and if we advertised something incorrectly I know their wouldnt be a single customer that held no fear in challenging me if I said sorry its been advertised wrong.
Except that GS label it fine.

The exact text last I was in there was

BOGOF on retro games

* stickered titles only

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Mon May 15, 2006 5:44 pm

Dudley wrote: Except that GS label it fine.

The exact text last I was in there was

BOGOF on retro games

* stickered titles only
My local store has a cardboard back on all the retro shelves will the Bogof on Retro logo multi-printed right across. It doesn't mention stickered title and does not have an asterics (sorry, sure my spelling is wrong).

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue May 16, 2006 3:28 am

They have no "Conditions apply" anywhere either?

Interesting, maybe they're trialling different offers in some districts. Might explain why Maidenhead don't run it at all.

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Tue May 16, 2006 3:33 am

Dudley wrote:They have no "Conditions apply" anywhere either?
If they did it was microsopic.

Have they got the Retro website working yet?

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue May 16, 2006 3:06 pm

It's unlikely, GS' website has been in the same censored state for about 3 years now.