Gamestation... MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue May 09, 2006 2:15 pm

Was in today and they had a speccy +2 in the window, around 15 games and joystick = £44.99

Same window, Commodore A500+, 28 games = £44.99

Seemed kinda steep, though first time i've seen anythin but a console in their window.
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Tue May 09, 2006 3:42 pm

retro mania wrote:
Dudley wrote:You kid me. Most Megadrive and Master System stuff in GS is £1 after BOGOF.

Not in my local gs more like about £3 for cart only which is still cheap to be fair. But the prices soon start jumping up for boxed games they have mario kart (snes) boxed for 25 quid.
Boxed SNES games aren't half as common as their plastic boxed cousins.

But yeah I deliberately flagged SMS and MD. They're 95% £1.99 BOGOF in High Wycombe/ Ealing. Maidenhead for some reason aren't running the BOGOF.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue May 09, 2006 3:57 pm

Noticed the other week they finally had a boxed Mario Kart 64 in my local, surprise surprise NOT in the bogof. Don't really see why, sell it for £20 give another cheaper for free, gpt to be a better earner than selling one for £10 and giving away a freebie. Also noticed Conker still sitting boxed in the cabinet, been there for ages, not mint but still really good condition, £35.

Game and Watch, Donkey Kond 2 =£30.

Any of these worth getting?
Join the Retroleague, dip in and out or compete to be the best, everyone welcome! https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/retroleague/

James A

Post by James A » Tue May 09, 2006 5:42 pm

Alot of the Retro stuff that Gamestation is selling seems to be levelling up do the prices on ebay at the moment. Its been heading that way for the last couple of months.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Wed May 10, 2006 5:26 am

Elgin_McQueen wrote:Noticed the other week they finally had a boxed Mario Kart 64 in my local, surprise surprise NOT in the bogof. Don't really see why, sell it for £20 give another cheaper for free, gpt to be a better earner than selling one for £10 and giving away a freebie. Also noticed Conker still sitting boxed in the cabinet, been there for ages, not mint but still really good condition, £35.
The BOGOF is just generically on the sub tenner stuff. I don't think they've thought it through any further than that,

Lindopski

Post by Lindopski » Wed May 10, 2006 5:25 pm

I saw Secret of Mana in there for £59.99 ??
and Zelda for £30 , wtf there not even rare they made billions of copies of those two what the heck.
Retro when it wasnt cool

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed May 10, 2006 5:37 pm

Lindopski wrote:I saw Secret of Mana in there for £59.99 ??
and Zelda for £30 , wtf there not even rare they made billions of copies of those two what the heck.
Secret of Mana is rare to get in good condition with the map and instructions but your right about Zelda, there's loads of them about but they are popular so places think they can make a few quid from them.

M.A.G

Post by M.A.G » Wed May 10, 2006 7:55 pm

You can get some bargains from Gamestation. When the B.O.G.O.f first started the manager in the Halifax branch did it on all retro. So for £25 i got Deep Fear and Burning Rangers. A month ago i went in to the same branch and got two complete copies of Alien Soldier for £15 each.

paranoid marvin

Re:

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu May 11, 2006 5:50 am

Opa-Opa wrote:
Lindopski wrote:I saw Secret of Mana in there for £59.99 ??
Secret of Mana is rare to get in good condition with the map and instructions but your right about Zelda, there's loads of them about but they are popular so places think they can make a few quid from them.

That's right,they'll try and sell them for as much as they think they can get for them
What they are actually 'worth' depends on the individual
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Sat May 13, 2006 4:12 am

I went in yesterday and saw the bogof offer on retro games.
I decided on Final Fantasy Origins (£19.99) and Spyro 2 (£9.99) which I thought were expensive, but both for £20 was OK.
Got to the till to be told that games over a tenner aren't included!

So I put both games back, went back to work and picked up Origins for a fiver, spyro 1,2&3 for £11 and Abe's Oddysee for 95p on ebay.

Can't see me getting my retro games from GS any more.

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Sun May 14, 2006 3:23 pm

SirClive wrote:I went in yesterday and saw the bogof offer on retro games.
I decided on Final Fantasy Origins (£19.99) and Spyro 2 (£9.99) which I thought were expensive, but both for £20 was OK.

So I put both games back, went back to work and picked up Origins for a fiver, spyro 1,2&3 for £11 and Abe's Oddysee for 95p on ebay.

And that's why you read my last post where I said it was under a tenner.

And those were all including shipping?

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sun May 14, 2006 4:15 pm

Dudley wrote:
SirClive wrote:I went in yesterday and saw the bogof offer on retro games.

And that's why you read my last post where I said it was under a tenner.

And those were all including shipping?
I hadn't bothered reading this thread much as I thought there was a bit too much GS-bashing going on. Only contributed after I had an experience of my own to comment on.

My point was that although the display just said BOGOF on retro games (about a hundred times) it was limited and that the games were IMO overpriced.

Including shipping I paid £6.99 for Origins (£20 in GS) - which granted has a spanish booklet so was cheaper, £14 for 3 Spyro games (Spyro 2 was £10 in GS)and £3.14 for Abe (which was £7 in GS).

I understand that they have overheads and that you can get lucky with auctions, but I feel that the offer is a poor one. I didn't expect to get a game for over a tenner free, I wanted to pay £20 for a game and get a free one for half that price - which is more cash in the Till than if I had bought Spyro and got Abe free.

I still think they are the best high street store (especially for new games), but unless I am desperate for a game today I will most likely stick with Play.com and eBay.

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 14, 2006 4:32 pm

They're selling BOGOF on games under a tenner as they're harder to shift

Generally speaking games at over a tenner are better games,and more likely to sell of their own accord
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

SirClive

Re:

Post by SirClive » Sun May 14, 2006 4:35 pm

paranoid marvin wrote:They're selling BOGOF on games under a tenner as they're harder to shift

Generally speaking games at over a tenner are better games,and more likely to sell of their own accord
That makes sense.

(though they had 3 copies of Origins and I can't see them selling them all at £20 each)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun May 14, 2006 4:37 pm

I agree that certain games are overpriced and will never shift
My local store has had a battered boxed Super Star Wars for 6 months now
It's unlikely it'll ever be sold,but it's also unlikely that it will ever be reduced in price
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"