J.Ross and R.Brand - Phone calls

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:20 am

EvilArmourKing wrote:I think both Ross and Brand are noobs.

I don't mind Ross, but Brand is just a extremley annoying tw@t.

Sadly, some people actually find his immature, puerile and schoolboy-like jokes, humour and monologues funny.

As someone in a paper today stated "Brand is nothing more than a sex obsessed, ex junkie". So true. He's certainly not funny.

Yeah mate, you're a "celebrity", so naturally girls wanna sleep with you. Well done.

Gotta say those "D1ck sack" jokes are just amazingly original. Where does this guy's genius inspiration come from??
But some peoples view on this is distorted because of their dislike for Brand. If it was Jack Dee or Frank Skinner who did those jokes then i'm sure half the people in this thread wouldnt be bothered.

I dont mind Brand at all, got his comedy dvd and hes very good. Dont just have a go at him for sleeping around, how about the girls who just fall at his feet including Sachs granddaughter ?

Again i cant stand Billy Connolly for his 'joke' about Ken Bigley, thats much worse than some jokes about someones granddaughter.

Whoever the comedian was who did these phone calls either way its totally been overblown. Just ridiculous

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:46 am

psj3809 wrote:I dont mind Brand at all, got his comedy dvd and hes very good. Dont just have a go at him for sleeping around, how about the girls who just fall at his feet including Sachs granddaughter ?
Yeah, and the slapper is on the front page of the newspapers today selling her story via Max Clifford. The media are a bunch of idiots with double standards. They all freak out (to sell papers) then buy the story (to sell papers) even though they previously said it was deplorable. Unbelievable.

Anyway, Brand is a funny guy: he was a junkie censored before, but cleaned up, the guy can put words together well. Sometimes annoying, but still, way, waaaaay funnier than that sycophantic censored Ross.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:53 am

But its like people are taking sides just because they hugely dislike Ross (because of his paypacket) or Brand for being an ex junkie/'not funny'.

But surely thats not the point, whoever the people involved were, surely most people wouldnt be that bothered if it was Paul o Grady or Jimmy Tarbuck ? People seem to go OTT because its Ross/Brand.

Whoever it was who was involved its just a joke to have it as the major headline news on TV and in the papers, tabloids fair enough but it seems to be on the front of many other 'normal' papers.

And yeah today the slappers totally telling her story and obviously getting paid a fair bit for it. Andrew Sachs seems to be totally stunned by the whole story and is surprised.

Its like its the biggest story of the year and Jonathan Ross has slept with a member of the royal family or something. Just a joke.

Coopdevil

Post by Coopdevil » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:59 am

It reminds me in a way of when Diana died and I woke up in a country that had suddenly collectively jumped on a bandwagon and left me looking around going "WTF!?" - when you just can't believe the sheer number of unthinking people there are around.

I don't mind which side of the debate anybody is (it used to be a free country after all) but at least bloody think about things rather than rabbit someone elses viewpoint. Typical Daily Mail I suppose.

Coop

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:13 am

I look at nme.com most days and saw these two comments, agree with both ....

"What makes me laugh, is that the whole country has gone overboard, including Gordon Brown. While the tabloids are reporting this b*llocks, the real issues, like Banks Going bust, the large amount of job losses, the whole Banking system that is in potential meltdown...........and all we are worried about is an old bloke that was famous for 5 minutes, a bloke with a lisp, and a Goth that has too much Harmony hairspray in his hair. Cant the UK see that, its just a smokescreen. I am not condoning it, but come on, the tabloids that have ruined many lives through libel, are calling for the two to be sacked...........kettle, black, boiling springs to mind."

"Everyone is making a meal out of nothing. There were only 2 complaints from the listeners of the show. The 10,000 complaints since the show was aired are from people who don't listen to the show anyway, so what should it matter?"

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:26 am

Tomorrow's fish and chip wrappers.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

mattwerk

Post by mattwerk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:40 am

Coopdevil wrote:It reminds me in a way of when Diana died and I woke up in a country that had suddenly collectively jumped on a bandwagon and left me looking around going "WTF!?" - when you just can't believe the sheer number of unthinking people there are around.
Yeah, what was that? Feel sad if you wish but it was like the world stopped for 2 weeks, drove everyone dilly in the end... people perving over pictures of her in the tabloids, then she dies and everyone is so full of grief, it was horrible! Not to mention Elton John jumping on the bandwagon and getting the best sold number one song ever out of it...

Anyway, whatever the BBC is doing with these two guys, Russell Brand has a show on tonight on Channel 4 called Ponderland. Talk about timing...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:41 am

I do like that Ponderland series, in the last one it was good hearing him going on about Speccy loading noises and kids bashing the keyboards/joysticks to Decathlon.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 6:55 am

IMO this is going to result in good publicity for the pair of them. Say what you will about them but they're both very good at what they do, and winding people up and getting a shocked response from stiff arsed people who consider things like have I got news for you to be "cutting edge" and "out there" is only going to work in their favour.

At the end of the day, they will get good publicity, the girl in question will make a few quid and Andrew Sachs will get his face on tv. Everyone's a winner. Sure Russel Brand has had to quit his radio show, but the controvesy will make him more in demand than ever.

theres much worse things they could have said. Its blown out of all proportion
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

IllbleD

Post by IllbleD » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:20 am

If i was the channel 4 producer i'd make up a new show with brand and ross on a celebrity prank rampage, it'd be gold.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:08 am

In the interests of not applying double standards here, would anyone who doesn't find it offensive care to post up the phone numbers for their grandparents? I'm sure we could have an absolute riot leaving them obscene messages and posting them up on the internet somewhere. Any takers? (Please not, I hope.)

As for whether you found it funny, that's immaterial if so many people are going to take offense at it. I happen to find Roy "Chubby" Brown rather funny, but I can see why his sort of humour isn't fit for radio or television. I expect this sort of thing from Brand though, as he's forever overstepping the mark; he's been sacked before from MTV and XFM over similarly tasteless attempts at humour. I don't think the BBC were being high handed at all to suspend him in comparison.

The fact that only a couple of people complained at the time is neither here nor there in the age of YouTube, iPlayer and Sky+. Most shows only reach their full audience a fair time after they were originally broadcast, and it's pretty much accepted that if someone makes a horrendous gaffe, people will watch it after the fact. I suspect far more people watched Kerry Katona's recent performance via Youtube than watched it on TV, for instance.

When all is said and done though, I expect that Ross will come out of this more or less intact and Brand will just carry on as usual with his other projects (I'm sure MTV can find plenty of work for him at the very least) and the only person who's really going to cop a rocket is the producer that let the show go out as it was.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:14 am

Matt_B wrote:In the interests of not applying double standards here, would anyone who doesn't find it offensive care to post up the phone numbers for their grandparents? I'm sure we could have an absolute riot leaving them obscene messages and posting them up on the internet somewhere. Any takers? (Please not, I hope.)
Of course it wasnt funny leaving those answerphone messages but compared to the rest of the news that night (credit crunch, repossessions etc) to have it as the headline news item is just laughable.

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:28 am

psj3809 wrote: Of course it wasnt funny leaving those answerphone messages but compared to the rest of the news that night (credit crunch, repossessions etc) to have it as the headline news item is just laughable.
Yeah it was headline news yesterday teatime over the story of the girl who was murdered while living abroad and the arguement over assisted suicide. Its a joke.

Like I said before, no-one will be harmed that much by this, the girl hardly seems traumatised.

TBH, I never knew Russel Brand had a radio show. If channel 4 show Ponderland tonight I imagine the ratings will be through the roof. I cant really see any reason for them not showing it to be honest. Plus Ross will be back on telly soon, offensive phone calls or not he pulls in good viewing figures, and is funny in my opinion.
Xbox gamer tag: kingboo81

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:36 am

Andrew Sachs seems to have totally accepted their apologies, his granddaughter though seems to be milking it for everything.

Yeah its not nice what Brand said about her but how many 100's of girls sell their stories to the tabloids every month about a footballer theyve slept with etc ?

Brand has made it public he had a thing with that girl and shes milking it tons. I mean getting Max Clifford to do her story etc, just so OTT. Think if she hadnt got Clifford on her side many more people might agree with her in this whole OTT saga.

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:44 am

She had a soundbite on the news last night and the way I see it Brand should get a medal if he's done her... jeez what a munter.