Wii Recommendations.

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:23 pm

Can't add much to the above except to say that Bomberman Blast, Star Soldier R and Toki Tori are all worth a download from the WiiWare selection.

Oh, and Rayman Raving Rabbids is good fun!
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:02 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:I've not yet tried it, but I just went up to Asda for milk and picked up the newly released De Blob for only £17.
May check that out when i'm next at work, heard good things.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Rabiteman

Post by Rabiteman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:22 am

There is a lot of dross out there, but it's usually fairly obvious. Sometimes you CAN judge a book by it's cover.

Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes I'd strongly recommend.

Some of the EA Sports Wii versions are meant to be quite good fun.

I know it's a GameCube game, but if you see it check out Chibi-Robo. Baten Kaitos as well if you like JRPGs.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:40 am

Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

I don't know why nobody else ever recommends it. It's mini-games, yes, but it's a million times superior to all the other crap like 'Carnival Games' and whatever.

And Rayman Raving Rabbids, as Witchfinder said. But only the first one.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:45 am

I hated Rayman, can't see the appeal in it at all. Just a lot of badly realised 'minigames' that aren't much fun with poor controls. I blame its popularity off the back of the advertising for starting the minigame cash in excess.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

merman

Post by merman » Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:57 am

ToxieDogg wrote:Wario Ware Smooth Moves.

I don't know why nobody else ever recommends it. It's mini-games, yes, but it's a million times superior to all the other crap like 'Carnival Games' and whatever.

And Rayman Raving Rabbids, as Witchfinder said. But only the first one.
I love Wario Ware Smooth Moves, the only thing that took the edge off it for me was having to finish the single-player before I could unlock multiplayer mode...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:19 am

merman wrote: I love Wario Ware Smooth Moves, the only thing that took the edge off it for me was having to finish the single-player before I could unlock multiplayer mode...
I didn't know you had to do that, I might have to go back and give it another go now, it looked like the perfect multiplayer game in the ads I saw.
Splink!

321CannonFodder

Post by 321CannonFodder » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Sam and Max

No More Heroes

Zac and wiki

Fire Emblem

And Madworld when it comes out :D

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:39 pm

I've wanted to buy it for a while now, and Mario Strikers, problem is they're practically launch games and still £35 in most shops.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:57 pm

sscott wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:Resident Evil 4 - still the only game I play on the Wii
Agreed. Wish the graphics had been improved a bit from the Gamecube version but it is an incredibly immersive experience and consistenly ranks in many gamers top 10,
If you play on an HD TV and use a component cable, then the graphics are improved... Not much, but it's noticeable. :wink:
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:54 pm

Elgin_McQueen wrote:

I've wanted to buy it for a while now, and Mario Strikers, problem is they're practically launch games and still £35 in most shops.
This is normal for Nintendo games. GC titles were exactly the same, with some still holding value even now. They aren't hard to find or in short supply, just consistently pricey. Best to bite the bullet and buy or you never will - then you'll see the prices rocket in 5 years when they're 'R@RE'
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:05 am

Apart from the those already mentioned...

Trauma Center: Second Opinion is worth a look if you're after something a little unusual.

DON'T buy Emergency Mayhem, it's rubbish.
Emergency Heroes is supposed to be better.

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:13 am

Thanks guys.

I got Zack & Wiki & found it really frustrating - a bit like the old Dizzy games, pick something up somewhere, put it down somewhere else. I can see the appeal, but not my bag though.

I also got House of the Dead - although its a basic port, it is indeed a hell of a lot of fun.

Off to get No More Heroes at lunch, a tenner in HMV it would be ace if it's as good as people are saying.

Ta muchly. All recommendations are greatly appreciated. :)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:39 am

Another newish game I'd recommend would be Wario Land Shake Dimension. Probably my favourite Wii game of the year its just like the older Wario Land games for the gameboy. Amazing 2D graphics as well.
Probably been mentioned before but Ghost Squad is a fantastic light gun game. Only 3 levels but each time you complete it the level changes with new branching paths keeping things interesting.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*