Is the credit crunch biting?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
The Angry Jock
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: In about it

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:53 am

In the group of people I know the ones who didn't go to uni (or dropped out) are much more successful than those who went to uni. B*stards :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

User avatar
oli_lar
Posts: 4148
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:26 pm

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by oli_lar » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:04 am

rocky1980 wrote:Well thats the VAT back up to 17.5% :( The goverment keep telling us the worst is over, well I really hope it is. I was speaking to a mate who works in the "job center" they have been told it will be 3 - 5 years before everything is back to somthing like normal :(
It will probably be longer, especially if bankers leave the country. There are a few going to Swiss banks now due to the bonus tax. Like it or not the financial services were this country's major industry and taxing it means it is likely to move elsewhere. What is needed is better corporate governance, not a revenge tax for the benefit of the government's image. But thats unlikely to change as the media can't have any negativity about itself.

Ireland should be one of the best economies in the next 5 years as they are taking all their hits in the short term.

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by will2097 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:59 am

Rinoa wrote:
will2097 wrote:
Rinoa wrote:
The main reason why I didn't go to uni was the thought of having such a large loan to pay back. Thankfully not going to uni was the best decision I ever made.
Why do you think that?
Partly because I don't have a £15,000+ loan to pay back! But mostly because I ended up being enrolled on an apprenticeship. I was being paid a proper wage to do a BTEC & NVQ and had all the "on the job training" I needed, and then some! The amount of people I've seen walk away from uni with fantastic degrees and then struggle to find work because they lack any real experience is a huge shame. So far that, I am really grateful I did what I did - and the fact I had a blast along the way is a big bonus too.
Fair play. You seem sensibly minded so i suspect that you would not have been one of the ones leaving Uni and not to get job. I remember when I left Uni (15 years ago now!) there was a common rumour that people were leaving and not getting jobs, but generally they were either on over subscribed degrees, things like Media Studies and Travel and Tourism as I recall, or something fundamentally pointless: HIstory springs to mind, and also a Degree in Maths is not generally considered the route to vast wealth- they don't seem to see past the three years at Uni.

I did a BTEC too! ( at Burton Technical College!!) :) I also did a HND and finally a Degree.

£15,000 is not the end of the world, although i guess it's pretty painful having just graduated. I left Uni with £1,500 debt, which as I recall i believed was an insurmountable burden, and I was lucky enough to get a full grant and I worked in a Chemical Factory filling bottles of washing-up liquid during all the holidays, but when I left Uni I got a job in Internet Networking in the August having left in the July, but that was back then :)

I think success has very little to do with Uni or Degrees,and more to do with hard work, being practical/sensible, luck and determination. That said, I would always encourage people to go to University, simply because, well in my case, it made the world seem larger and more accessible. I'm from a small village in the West Midlands originally, and sometimes I shudder at thought of still being there. I have to drive through it when I go and visit my parents, and nothings changed at all, same old faces, same old places. It's like a dream, and I struggle to believe I was actually ever there... it's weird.

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by Rayne » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Rinoa wrote:
will2097 wrote:
Rinoa wrote:
The main reason why I didn't go to uni was the thought of having such a large loan to pay back. Thankfully not going to uni was the best decision I ever made.
Why do you think that?
Partly because I don't have a £15,000+ loan to pay back! But mostly because I ended up being enrolled on an apprenticeship. I was being paid a proper wage to do a BTEC & NVQ and had all the "on the job training" I needed, and then some! The amount of people I've seen walk away from uni with fantastic degrees and then struggle to find work because they lack any real experience is a huge shame. So far that, I am really grateful I did what I did - and the fact I had a blast along the way is a big bonus too.
I just finished doing the same thing as you, currently I have loads of experience and some great qualifications, it only took a year and during that time I was being paid a decent wage. Meanwhile most of my friends are finishing their first year of uni and are now strugglng to pay the bills :I perhaps I'm not the academic type but I just can't see the sense in it at all.
Image

Fred83
Posts: 6997
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:55 pm

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by Fred83 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:21 pm

would love to go to uni/col if i had the money,im awful at maths too so another reason i probably didnt go...

User avatar
will2097
Posts: 3909
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:24 pm
Location: Cambridgeshire
Contact:

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by will2097 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:09 pm

Fred83 wrote:would love to go to uni/col if i had the money,im awful at maths too so another reason i probably didnt go...
What would you study?

User avatar
RMLF
Posts: 3210
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:54 am
Location: Lost in the Ether

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by RMLF » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:42 pm

will2097 wrote: Fair play. You seem sensibly minded so i suspect that you would not have been one of the ones leaving Uni and not to get job. I remember when I left Uni (15 years ago now!) there was a common rumour that people were leaving and not getting jobs, but generally they were either on over subscribed degrees, things like Media Studies and Travel and Tourism as I recall, or something fundamentally pointless: HIstory springs to mind, and also a Degree in Maths is not generally considered the route to vast wealth- they don't seem to see past the three years at Uni.

I think success has very little to do with Uni or Degrees,and more to do with hard work, being practical/sensible, luck and determination. That said, I would always encourage people to go to University, simply because, well in my case, it made the world seem larger and more accessible. I'm from a small village in the West Midlands originally, and sometimes I shudder at thought of still being there. I have to drive through it when I go and visit my parents, and nothings changed at all, same old faces, same old places. It's like a dream, and I struggle to believe I was actually ever there... it's weird.

I did History and American Studies at degree levele, with the idea that i was going to go into researching, archivist, teaching or possibly jounalism with a postgrad.

Life got in the way and uber skint ness thankls to a variety of reasons meant that that I had to work straight after Uni.. Call centre city.. It was then pretty serious disaster after disaster which meant me finances have yo yoed, paying off everything only to lose it all again when off work for long time, or paying for or sorting out disasters. Now Iam unable to work for.. ooh, ever potentially, degree is gunna count for nowt.

However Iam 10k in debt to SLC in order to pay back the loan I have to earn 80 per cent of the national average wage which is about 24-6k ( thanks footballers bumping up the average) so my take home needs to be over 2k per month.. Iam getting approx 35 per cent of that to cover everything each month.. So payback is looking liek its never gunna happen.

Out of all the people I know that went to Uni, a grand total of 2 are doing what they wanted both are in bio Chemistry. One I knew from home as it were and they went to Cardiff Uni the other I met at the Uni I went to.

Everyone else... thats Lawy, Management, Photograhpy, Journalism and Social Work, amongst others is either in a shitty dead end job, changed career completely or unemployed.

The point of this is that it would have been better for the majority of us not to gone. This was 13 years ago, when things werent as saturated as they are now..

Oner of my friends could have got in to a firm of solictors but, because he had started his degree the solictors ruled him out, He had been tainted by the system and so went the possibility of a 20k job, plus training and scholarship. Some one straight from A Level.. would have walked into that and instant career..

Worth it, you decide?


P.S as for credit crunch, me and the missus incomings and outgoings are so low, only have credit cards for emergencies etc that we havent relaly noticed to be honest, mortgage was low anyways.. its just now a bit lower
The Artist Formerly Known as Ralph Milne's Left Foot :P

Wheres Gus Ceasar when you need him?... Pah!

Ralph's Trade/Sale Thread http://www.retrogamer.net/forum/viewtop ... =6&t=22769

User avatar
The Angry Jock
Posts: 4007
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 4:58 pm
Location: In about it

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by The Angry Jock » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Ralph Milne's Left Foot wrote:However Iam 10k in debt to SLC in order to pay back the loan I have to earn 80 per cent of the national average wage which is about 24-6k ( thanks footballers bumping up the average) so my take home needs to be over 2k per month... So payback is looking liek its never gunna happen.
Snap :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

mohicankid
Posts: 4295
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:53 am
Location: in the darkest of dark places!

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by mohicankid » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:42 pm

life and cercumstances got in the way of my education, i dropped out of college and never botherd again, i have done a couple of required courses for jobs i have had, but other than that i have always got by with "grunt" jobs, i am quite happy and always have been working in industry jobs, the only problem ids i have tended to move around a bit, as anyone who's been here a while will know!
but at the mo' i am working with qualifications i gained on the job, and am earning substantialy more than most people in manegarial possitions!....which is nice!
the only place i feel the crunch is in the fuel bills....robbing basterds!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests