Is the credit crunch biting?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:16 pm

I think a blow job is 100% secure. I could be wrong though...

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:34 pm

DonkeySpank wrote:I think a blow job is 100% secure. I could be wrong though...
In what way is it secure you donkey spanker!
The couldn't give a rats ass view from a previous post is a little flippant as some forum members may be in a position where they are worried.

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:01 pm

scunny wrote:
And my job is 100% secure
I smell government workers!
Well I (sort off) work for the government, and I wouldn't say any job is 100% secure.
Scunnys job may be 99.999% secure, but 100%, really!!?

I've already been made redundant from a job that I thought was resonablt secure; three and a half Bangalorians for the price of little old me!!! :roll:

jdanddiet

Re: Is the credit crunch biting?

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:12 pm

BUMP

definitely f==king biting here.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Meurglys68

Re:

Post by Meurglys68 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:39 pm

scunny wrote:
And my job is 100% secure
I smell government workers!
Judging by what all of the political parties are saying, the public sector is going to be slapped over the next few months.
That said, the credit crunch hasn 't hit me. I don't really spend that much (especially since going tee-total) and am currently in the black.
I am however, erring on the side of caution and am continuing to be prudent in how I spend.

oldtimer

Post by oldtimer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:42 am

its funny how things can turn around so quick tho.
This time last year i was being told i was being made redundant, had 4months off work before finding a reasonably mundane job which i took as a stop gap.
Nearly a year later i am still there but now chief of operations as the company realised they had somebody who actually had a mountain of experience over the younger Uni people who worked there.(no offence).
Only problem is that i am on the road 8 months of the year on the show circuit...great life but hard on the Mrs...until she sees the paycheck.

The crunch did affect me, but i am quite a good saver, so the rainy day money was put to good use.
ATARI....There can be only one !!!!!!!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:14 pm

yep they moan but they like the money...
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:12 pm

Just had a nother excellent xmas and still have money in my wallet....

I think the only people who have suffered are greedy bastards who buy the newest car, or the big house or the expensive holidays or tick on a fortune on stuipd clothes on their credit card...

As long as you keep within your own goalposts nobody should let the ball in the back of the net

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:49 pm

Don't agree with that, what if the goalposts move, ie redundancy, relocation, pay cuts. For someone on a small income they can be hit very hard.
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:40 am

Think you need a decent mix. We had one 'mate' who constantly saved tons of money, moaning at people for having a bit on a credit card etc, he was boring as hell and would probably die a lonely (but granted rich) man.

Most people dont go OTT but like to splash out a bit on something, i mean i wouldnt save up for 12 months for a car, i would simply get a 0% credit card and then pay a chunk a month off it (which i'm doing now).

Granted if someones on a low income and they max out a 8k credit card thats stupid, but on the other hand i wouldnt be super tight

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:09 am

From past experience as a care-free teenager I will never be in debt again (excluding the mortgage of course). I won't take out another loan and the only time I'll use a credit card is if I can pay it back immediately. If I want something I would sooner save for it to be honest. I saved up for the car I bought back in May - it actually didn't take that long to save up for (plus I ended up with money left over to buy a decent laptop) and I don't even have to think about paying someone (card/loan) back for it for god knows how long. I don't go mad when I save, I make sure I still have spending money for myself too.

The main reason why I didn't go to uni was the thought of having such a large loan to pay back. Thankfully not going to uni was the best decision I ever made.

I've been very lucky during the recession, I managed to secure possibly one of the last 100% mortgages. A couple of weeks later and there's no way I would've been able to afford a deposit on a property. I also have a secure job that pays reasonably well. Even though we had staff cut-backs on our team in the summer, they weren't redundancies just a bit of redeployment within the company. We all really moaned about it at the time, but at least we still had jobs and no pay cuts at the end of the day.

rocky1980

Post by rocky1980 » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:49 am

Well thats the VAT back up to 17.5% :( The goverment keep telling us the worst is over, well I really hope it is. I was speaking to a mate who works in the "job center" they have been told it will be 3 - 5 years before everything is back to somthing like normal :(
Rocky
King of The Quids 2011 Winner :D
http://www.youtube.com/user/rockythefishman

Image Image

The Angry Jock

Post by The Angry Jock » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:30 am

rocky1980 wrote:Well thats the VAT back up to 17.5% :( The goverment keep telling us the worst is over, well I really hope it is. I was speaking to a mate who works in the "job center" they have been told it will be 3 - 5 years before everything is back to somthing like normal :(
I work in the Construction Industry and from what I understand, traditionally, that market gets hit first but also recovers first - I can tell you that 2010 is looking bleaker than 2009. I've got nothing to do when I got back on tuesday. We also lost 15% of the workforce just before Christmas and that was conservative compared to what other companies are doing. Unfortunately, the managers are taking advantage of the lack of work and making silly decisions that would've been dismissed immediately even 3 months ago, funny thing is that they're letting got of fee earning individuals in order to save themselves - basically doubling their losses, but it's ok as they've not had to take a pay cut from their measly £70000+ salary :lol:
Retropassion reborn
sscott wrote:I fuck1n love the fuck1n Internet and all its fuckin fu(kball opinions. I fuck1n like this fuk(her, I don't fuccckin like this fuckeeer. It's not out yet, that isn't gonna gonna stop me! No sir! and so onnnnnnnnnn........

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:44 am

Rinoa wrote:
The main reason why I didn't go to uni was the thought of having such a large loan to pay back. Thankfully not going to uni was the best decision I ever made.
Why do you think that?

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:47 am

will2097 wrote:
Rinoa wrote:
Why do you think that?
Partly because I don't have a £15,000+ loan to pay back! But mostly because I ended up being enrolled on an apprenticeship. I was being paid a proper wage to do a BTEC & NVQ and had all the "on the job training" I needed, and then some! The amount of people I've seen walk away from uni with fantastic degrees and then struggle to find work because they lack any real experience is a huge shame. So far that, I am really grateful I did what I did - and the fact I had a blast along the way is a big bonus too.