Is the credit crunch biting?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:16 pm

<<Did once be a store manager for a inde store
Left due to the owner beein a prat and not carein about getin some stuff to the store
[/the times of my life]

James A

Post by James A » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Should be interesting with no job to see how it pans out. Before losing my job it wasn't having too much effect on me.

Trade and sell alot of stuff anyway as i see it as a pretty easy way to make some money.

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:53 pm

Fuel Bills are rocketing but apart from that it is tight but thats cos Santa is on his way...

I cant complain as I have bought new washer, fridge and oven in the last year, had the outside of my house painted, 3 week long holidays and plenty of tins of cider.

Also bought myself a ds.

Ebay has saved me a few quid

I always buy cheap dvds games and books anyway.

dont smoke and got a very small mortgage.

Credit Crunch is a load of media hyped bullshit.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:05 pm

i noticed it myself during when times where good.The dollar was weak meaning that i was getting japanese games off ebay dirt cheap.Now its beginning to even out.....
Last edited by Fred83 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pforson

Post by pforson » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:42 pm

If anything, I've noticed benefit from the credit crunch.

I'm taking 3.5 months off work to learn german and my flat mate has just bought a house in SE London (prices have crashed, sellers desperate to sell, goverment lowered stamp duty etc.)

I think its all media hype.
WANTED: Amiga CD32 games. PM me. :)

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:47 pm

BennyTheGreek wrote:Fuel Bills are rocketing but apart from that it is tight but thats cos Santa is on his way...

I cant complain as I have bought new washer, fridge and oven in the last year, had the outside of my house painted, 3 week long holidays and plenty of tins of cider.

Also bought myself a ds.

Ebay has saved me a few quid

I always buy cheap dvds games and books anyway.

dont smoke and got a very small mortgage.

Credit Crunch is a load of media hyped bullshit.
Just won your TV game auction so that will pay for a 6 pack of Strongbow. :D

Mainly though I agree, I think a lot of it is media scaremongering. No doubt its hitting certain sectors but it seems more to do with the price of oil than anything more dire. I think the only people who are getting in sh*t are people who work in finance and they earn enough money that the f**kers should be made to clean up their own sh*t anyway.

House prices have needed balancing for a long time, its not so much a case that prices are plummeting, more a case that prices are re-adjusting to the more realistic levels they should have been at in the first place.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:54 pm

No problems over here since it's difficult to get credit in France in the first place. It's pretty much been business as usual.

Actually, here's an article about it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7635327.stm

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:12 pm

I'm a teacher (as EVERYONE KNOWS), wife is a physio, put a reasonably large deposit down on the house so negative equity shouldn't be a problem but I sympathise with people in certain industries who are unsure of their positions. We have a baby due in January, I am not a saver but have been prudent enough to give my wife some of my income for the next few months to address when she is on maternity leave. Don't know about everyone else but I guve myself a 'pocket money' allowance which is mine and when its spent its spent! All bills go out the day I get paid so I never see that money. Saying all that I could still be a lot better with money! :)

nwosteve

Post by nwosteve » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:07 am

No. Because my mortgage is peanuts and i haven't borrowed way and above my means. So i couldn't give a rats ass about it.

And my job is 100% secure.
"You're all going to die." MK3 promo posters

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:26 am

My contract does come up for renewal, but that is the middle of next year sometime. However I have taken of late to economising practically when it comes to buying foodstuff (I now buy dried pasta in the big sacks). I also will have to get the car 4 new tyres soon, but at the moment it is happy running on some bald tyres, they are almost semi slick tyres! LOL! :)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:44 am

nwosteve wrote:And my job is 100% secure.
I wouldn't dare type this even though mine is as well...

the_hawk

Post by the_hawk » Tue Oct 21, 2008 10:51 am

On the advice of Gordon Brown to spend our way out of the recession, I've just just bought a Wii I hope this helps.

Any chance of a tax rebate so I can get some games?

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:04 am

jdanddiet wrote:
nwosteve wrote:And my job is 100% secure.
I wouldn't dare type this even though mine is as well...
I can't think of ANY job that is 100% secure.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:21 am

nwosteve wrote:No. Because my mortgage is peanuts and i haven't borrowed way and above my means. So i couldn't give a rats ass about it.

And my job is 100% secure.
You'll be telling me next you have the best car in the world and the most beautiful girlfriend ;)

I wouldnt say any job is 100% secure

scunny

Post by scunny » Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:37 am

And my job is 100% secure
I smell government workers!