What films/TV shows have you watched this week??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:16 am

RetroAerosmith wrote:
gman72 wrote:This evening i watched an old BBC dramatization from 1972 called The Stone Tape with Jane Asher. I've been wanting to see this for ages as i heard it was well spooky. I wasn't unhappy with it it was pretty cool considering it's age. However it was not as good as Threads. This was an early 80's BBC Drama about nuclear holocaust and was set in the north of england. Gritty, depressing and horribly realistic. I think it was banned for a while aswell. Anyway i watched that yesterday. Check either show out if you have not seen em yet. Great stuff.
I remember watching "threads" when it was originally aired and the only 2 parts I could remember were when the bomb hits and the lady shopping pees herself and towards the end I thought there was a part where the aged version of the girl passes a soldier who puts a gun in his mouth. I recently bought the dvd and the pee bit was in but the gun bit wasnt so maybe i was confused. It seems even though the special effects are basic its still a massive "wow" seeing all the pain and devastation compared to a Nuclear explosion in say "24"

Anyway a pretty grim movie but im always fascinated watching old 70s/80s type dramas to remember how we used to be and live. I like to Youtube those old Public Info films like that kid that flies his kite too close to electric pylons, how innocent and yet stupid were we
Anyways before i bore a few people, I recently watched "The children of the stones" and yesterday received my double box set of Catweazle.

Up to date stufff - Im currently hooked on "The 4400" which I thought was criminally underlooked and cancelled after 4 series (im part way through no4) If you watch it its kinda like xfiles meets heroes even though it was made before heroes.
great wasn't it? They dont make kids tv like that anymore.
If you DID like it , and are looking for something similar , then the 3 series of 'Into The Labyrinth' have been released recently
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:21 am

sscott wrote:
flying_delorean81 wrote:I watched Tropic Thunder today and was a bit disappointed. It had some funny moments but I was expecting from the great cast...
Jack Black suggesting what he would do to the man who released him from the tree to get drugs almost made my wife do a wee!
That was easily the funniest bit in the movie! :wink:
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:51 pm

Watched The Metal Years - The Decline Of Western Civilization Part II the other day, and it was pretty good viewing. Some interesting interviews with the likes of Ozzy, Stephen Tyler and Alice Cooper and the infamous, utterly outrageous one with Chris Holmes from W.A.S.P who sits on an inflatable chair in a pool, off his face from drowning himself in Vodka while his mum watches on from the side.

It's orientated somewhat more towards the glam side of metal (lots of dodgy hair and outfits) but funny to watch all the bands who were convinced they would make it when asked at the time, however 20 years down the line are now absolutely unheard of. :P

The only real bad thing about it is Dave Mustaine comes out as some righteous, clean-cut hero of Metal at the end of it all, despite the fact he had many major and well-documented substance abuse problems of his own previously (such as the minor issue of being kicked out of Metallica for being a alcoholic/cock...)
Last edited by Sureshot on Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:52 pm

all this talk about peoples wives doing wees is making me feel unusual.
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:39 pm

Sureshot wrote:Watched The Metal Years - The Decline Of Western Civilization Part II the other day
Funny you say that, i downloaded that last month. Before the metal years the woman who did the documentary also did one about Punk (Obviously Decline Part I), wasnt that great but was quite interesting.

The metal one was excellent, some of those hairstyles are shocking and a fair few didnt seem to make it big.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:03 am

Watched No Country For Old Men and Superbad yesterday, thought they were both alright although No Country kind of petered out at the end.
Splink!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:06 am

Yeah i agree with that, didnt like the ending and if they cut off about 20 minutes throughout the film of the more boring bits it would be very good. the lead actor was superb though

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:15 am

Yes, he was very convincing.
Splink!

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:17 am

I watched The Island the other night. I thought i was fooking diabolical :lol:
Xbox Live Gamer Tag:
SuperWarioMan

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:45 am

Saw Deathproof last night - Thought Tarantino had lost it a little but this was back on form for me - Really cool film
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:56 am

nesmaster wrote:I watched The Island the other night. I thought i was fooking diabolical :lol:
I really liked that ! Mainly because of the big twist which i didnt know about (and i wont mention it here as it'll ruin it for people)

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:05 am

felgekarp wrote:Watched No Country For Old Men and Superbad yesterday, thought they were both alright although No Country kind of petered out at the end.
Slight spoilers*

I liked it. I don't want to ruin it for anyone, but the ending pretty much the switches from a thriller to a movie about the human nature. Sheriff Bell keeps talking about "the world is changing" and how "it's not how I remember it" throughout the film, but the story that Ellis tells him pretty much confirms how the world has always been full of evil people who do horrible things and most of the time evil will triumph over good (referencing the events in the film).

The final scene is about how Tommy-Lee's dreams are sort of an outline of his years as a cop. Although, people have their own interpretation on the ending.

Most people didn't like the ending (which is completely understandable) but I guess the Coen's wanted to say true to the book.

Anyway, I watched I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry - it was s@!t. :D
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:48 pm

Finished watching 'The Wire'. Thinking of going onto 'The Kill Point' now as it has one or two actors from the wire and I believe some of the same creators.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

thl

Post by thl » Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:57 pm

Watched new Prison Break on Sky 1 last night.