Apple PC's Anyone ??

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

adrianbean

Apple PC's Anyone ??

Post by adrianbean » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:36 pm

Hi All,

Been sorting through some old retro stuff a couple of weeks ago and came across a couple of old Apple computers - Performa's I think - cost over £1500 new. I binned absolutely loads of stuff that I couldn't be bothered selling, but couldn't quite bring myself to bin these.

Anyhow, if anyone lives in or near Bradford, then they are welcome to come and have a look at them and perhaps make an offer. If you seem nice enough then I could perhaps be mugged into giving them away - stranger things have happened.

I'm not sure if they come with monitors, but I have some of the thrown out gear in the back of my car, just waiting to go to the tip. I think there's also 2 or 3 Philips or Acorn monitors in there as well, which work if I remember rightly with the ST & Amiga, so might come in handy for someone.

Anyhow, anyone interested needs to make themselves known quickly as the wife is constantly nagging for me to empty the crap out of the car.

Ade's Retro Video Games: http://www.adesretro.com

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:44 pm

Can i ask you how you came to have such a huge retro collection ?

Was it a case or 'hording' ? Eg you just didnt want to let go of past equipment or could never say no when someone offered you some retro stuff kinda thing ?

Plus all the 1000's of games you have, where do you keep these ? Spare room or a garage full ?

I mean you dont just have one or two computers, you seem to have several such as the Apple computers.

Just interested in how you got this huge collection etc.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:53 pm

Never mind the wife nagging, if I had this much stuff I wouldn't be able to get through the bloody front door!

adrianbean

Post by adrianbean » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi psj3809,

Started out with a Spectrum 48K which I swapped for a motorbike which I later swapped for a Vic20, all in the early-mid eighties.

Since then, I've bought from car boot sales, eBay, jumble sales, high-street shops, etc. and the collection just grew to massive proportions.

About 3 years ago I attempted to sell the lot on eBay in one massive auction (took around 2 months to photo and make web pages) with a reserve of £2,500 but the bidding only went up to £2,250 - couldn't believe it.

As a result of this and my wife's still constant nagging, I decided to sell my collection bit by bit - thought I'd make more money that way, so started to sell off some of the less desirable items (at least to me) of my collection on eBay and ended up making around £7,500 on around 500 items (I might be wrong about the number of items as I have just checked eBay and have found that I have over 1,000 feedbacks left for me just for selling in this period, so it might have been more than 500 items) and I still had the cream of my collection left. The wife has gone on at me for years to get rid of it, how she puts up with it, I just don't know. It fills the loft, fills one of the spare bedrooms, fills the garage.

Not being able to take any more nagging, I decided to get rid again and planned to sell on eBay. I was horrified to find out that some of eBay's fees had risen by over 400%, so it wasn't really viable to sell them on there, particularly small items like game cassettes as it costs 40p just to list the item and that's before they start taking a cut of your selling price.

So I decided to open an online shop, where I hope to offload some of my stuff - I don't expect to sell it all though, so may end up doing a massive eBay auction again - probably the biggest Retro Auction that eBay has ever seen.

The Master

Post by The Master » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:44 pm

I would be more than happy to take the remainder off you for free; it will make you smell like Jesus.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:17 am

If anyone is close enough I would recomend grabing those Philips monitors..

They are the best monitors I have ever used and not just for Amiga - ST.
They should have a scart socket and display pretty much everything up to and including the PS2/XBOX...

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:40 am

The Master wrote: it will make you smell like Jesus.
:shock:

before or after he was crucified then shoved in a cave for three days?

:P
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:26 am

adrianbean wrote:Hi psj3809,

Started out with a Spectrum 48K which I swapped for a motorbike which I later swapped for a Vic20, all in the early-mid eighties. ....
Cheers for that, interesting stuff. Like i say i used to be a horder, had a lot of stuff but actually stopped being 'addicted' and got rid of a ton of it shortly before ebay got huge (always the way !)

I do wish i had a bigger house so i could keep tons of stuff like this but like i say the other half of me says most of it would be unused.

I've gone off ebay as well, a lot of hassle and of course rising fees . Looking forward to their competitors getting bigger and bigger

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Sep 12, 2008 5:54 am

adrianbean wrote:small items like game cassettes as it costs 40p just to list the item and that's before they start taking a cut of your selling price.
Surely if you have 99p start price then the listing fee is only 5p? Although I do think EBay have a good thing going with Paypal (owned by....?), nice little earner all round.

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:30 am

eBay just changed most of its fee structure, clearly trying to get rid of low-cost (read: low profit) items and gear the site more towards businesses.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

adrianbean

Post by adrianbean » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:33 am

Hi jdanddiet,

eBay have just updated their fees, starting 25 Sept the lowest insertion fee will be 40p, even for items with starting bids of 99p and they've even hiked their percentage take of your final selling price to 9.9%.

It's cheaper listing in a shop, but they've also more than doubled the cheapest shop price from £6.99 to £14.99. If you examine their new pricing you'll find that they've increased most fees by 300%, some even as high as 400%. Read the changes here: http://pages.ebay.co.uk/pricechange08/

The eBay B*#tards are getting real greedy, even though their 3-Monthly income is $459.7m. Can you believe it, that's £1.8 billion a year.

What's even worse is that if you check other countries eBay fees you;ll find that we in the UK pay nearly double of what every other eBay country pays. Once again we seem to be the biggest mugs in the world.

What we need is for everybody to leave eBay and start using sites like eBid: http://uk.ebid.net/. That'll teach the greedy f#cks a lesson.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:13 am

That's terrible!
I occasionally list cd's I don't want anymore and always like to start at 99p to encourage bids but if that's their attitude I shan't bother!

Aren't they making enough money!!!