A WARNING to all NEWBIES

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:44 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:I don't have the space or money to buy a helicoptor but I don't go out and steal one then try to join in on the helicoptors owners forum...
You know, I think I'd actually pay good money to see that.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:49 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:I don't have the space or money to buy a helicoptor but I don't go out and steal one then try to join in on the helicoptors owners forum...
You know, I think I'd actually pay good money to see that.
Don't think I'd get very far...
I'd just want to find the hell fire button and blow up fuel dumps, picking up the odd barrel or ammo crate on the winch... :)

CraigGrannell

Post by CraigGrannell » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:56 pm

I especially like the image of you somehow managing to successfully nick a helicopter and land it in your garden, only to rush inside and join a forum, while a SWAT team prepares to advance on your house.

It has all the makings of a really odd movie.
iPhone/iPod/iPad game/app reviews: http://www.iphonetiny.com

hydr0x

Post by hydr0x » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:58 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:It has all the makings of a really odd video game
fixed that for you :)

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:02 pm

hydr0x wrote:
CraigGrannell wrote:It has all the makings of a really odd video game
fixed that for you :)
We could be on to something here, get Mr Cauldwell on the phone and lets see if we can't have a hit ZX Spectrum game on our hands...

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:14 pm

Jet Set Willy was rubbish and does anyone want to buy anything from my sho.....collection that I am getting rid of.....

I have changed my name to Alan Sugar Dizzy Antattack...shortened it for the forum

www.asda.co.uk

I have a lot of food in my cupboard to sell and lots of garden equipment in my big shed.

I also have a big van that I can deliver the items to you in....

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:I don't really know what all the fuss is about, as far as I can see the guy only made a mistake by posting the same thing twice..?

I'm sure one of the mods could have moved it into the off topic section and he does seem to have a lot of stuff which would interest people on this forum (although most of what I saw was US imports, nothing I want there..).
Have I missed something..?

Do we want to discourage people advertising retro goodies for sale on this site..? I would have thought they would have been welcome as another way of finding that "illusive title" (apart from the alarming number of rom collectors on here we all have a few games we are looking out for).

Sure if someone is clearly using the site time and time again for free advertising then sort it out but this seems a little OTT to me..?
Agreed! We all make mistakes and I think we need to be more accomodating to newbies overall, we want as large a fanbase as possible as it benefits us all, as forumites we are the niche of a niche. I think I have a good relationship with nearly all forum members but I wish I'd see some more positive comments from some forum members rather than seizing on the mistakes/oversights of some posts (I've made a fair few myself).
Some forum members never seem to say things like "Excellent buy, sure you'll enjoy the game!" but will say "I got that for nothing" or " Thought that games was sh1t", yeah, somebody who's bought a game really needs to hear that!
Saying all that, I like the majority of forum members and even the more 'agressive' ones seem to have toned down recently. :)

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:26 pm

To be fair I guess every new member who's started with a "for sale" post has been given the same response.
It's just how that member reacts that's different.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:34 pm

stvd wrote:To be fair I guess every new member who's started with a "for sale" post has been given the same response.
It's just how that member reacts that's different.
Totally agree, look at the guy doing those retro necklaces with his initial post which was amusing pretending he had found these great items (when he had done them himself), he took the banter in good spirits and seems like a good bloke. Nesmaster also got some light hearted banter when he turned up selling stuff (some high prices on some) and has settled in very well ! If i turned up brand new and instantly spoke about Speccy books i would expect some ribbing also.

We all welcome newbies here, think its great getting more and more retro fans, specially younger ones who seemed to have discovered that retro games arent crap at all despite not being around when those games were famous etc.

Any newcomer who instantly tries to sell something or think its retro so it must be worth a lot and has £100 quid buy it nows would get the same response. I even added smileys with my digs at him just to show i wasnt being serious !

stvd

Post by stvd » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:47 pm

Absolutely psj3809.
Now I think I'll head off and maybe purchase one of your lovely Spectrum books. Not the colour one though! :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 pm

stvd wrote:Now I think I'll head off and maybe purchase one of your lovely Spectrum books. Not the colour one though! :)
I'm toying with the colour version of part 2 - I keep umming and ahhing over it. I should really just do it. How many of these are planned again?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Sorry dont mean to hijack !

Six books, Book 3 (1987-1988) is done and just being proof-read, its huge ! 450 pages ! Working shortly on Book 4 (After i've paid everyone in a week or so)

I've got both colour ones and they are very good but sadly due to lulu's costs the price is veryyyyyy high. I wish out of 30 quid I got more than 1.50 a sale !

I like the old skool black and white ones though as they remind me of Crash also !

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:18 pm

CraigGrannell wrote:
boyo wrote:I think this thread should now be locked Craig, and we move on. This is not healthy although entertaining.
Yeah, probably, but, you know, I wouldn't want to be seen to be "passing judgement like some retro god".
:shock:

/worships Craig
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:27 pm

Boyo is the retro show God though. Others such as Zerocipher and Witchfinder are his disciples ;)

All praise to Boyo

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:54 pm

Right I'm back. What did I miss?