A WARNING to all NEWBIES

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

adrianbean

A WARNING to all NEWBIES

Post by adrianbean » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:49 am

Hi to all newbies,

Just take a few words of advice from another newbie who has been at the receiving end of some very impolite and rude attacks from more "seasoned" posters.

I have had 2 posts closed now for deigning to reply to these posters, who apparently took offense at me trying to sell stuff (even though half the posts that I have looked at are selling something) and for making certain words in my post stand out by using BOLD.

Obviously the Moderators don't like anything negative said about them - even though they seem to feel free in attacking others and passing judgement like some retro god.

I have been an avid reader of Retro Gamer from the very beginning and can remember the golden retro era well (being in my 40s), but having some snotty, young poster be rude to me is absolutely out of order. I wonder if Retro Gamer would condone this - have to check on that one.

No doubt this topic will also be closed by them.

And by the way david, I don't know if you went to school, but making certain things BOLD is a way of making them stand out.

Ade's Retro: http://www.adesretro.com

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 am

A WARNING to all TWATS.

You are not welcome here. Don't bother posting. And don't bother whining if you can't follow accepted rules for a commercial site.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

David

Re: A WARNING to all NEWBIES

Post by David » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:55 am

adrianbean wrote:

And by the way david, I don't know if you went to school, but making certain things BOLD is a way of making them stand out.

Ade's Retro: http://www.adesretro.com

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:00 am

seriously dude, quit while you are ahead, you are just making an idiot of yourself

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:01 am

There is a big difference between purchasing stuff from people you trust and someone wondering on with their first post and saying "Give me money! I promise to send you things!".

The terms YOU agreed to prohibit this, you have no valid complaint.

And if this is your maturity level I suspect a lot of people are glad they didn't buy from you.

Craig gave you a very good, very civil explanation in your last thread.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:02 am

I don't really know what all the fuss is about, as far as I can see the guy only made a mistake by posting the same thing twice..?

I'm sure one of the mods could have moved it into the off topic section and he does seem to have a lot of stuff which would interest people on this forum (although most of what I saw was US imports, nothing I want there..).
Have I missed something..?

Do we want to discourage people advertising retro goodies for sale on this site..? I would have thought they would have been welcome as another way of finding that "illusive title" (apart from the alarming number of rom collectors on here we all have a few games we are looking out for).

Sure if someone is clearly using the site time and time again for free advertising then sort it out but this seems a little OTT to me..?

boyo

Post by boyo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:03 am

Well if it helps, I will be 40 next year and have met a lot of the guys on this forum and they are sound bunch. I even gave Bub&Bob a lift back to his hotel at the Fusion event - he maybe not as old as you and I but he's defiantely not a 'young, immature' person as you state in your posts.

How about starting again m8, and saying 'Hi' and telling us a bit about yourself? Not sure how this has got to this stage :?

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am

boyo wrote:Well if it helps, I will be 40 next year and have met a lot of the guys on this forum and they are sound bunch. I even gave Bub&Bob a lift back to his hotel at the Fusion event - he maybe not as old as you and I but he's defiantely not a 'young, immature' person as you state in your posts.

How about starting again m8, and saying 'Hi' and telling us a bit about yourself? Not sure how this has got to this stage :?

Welcome to the forum by the way.
He came on and make 3 separate posts merely to advertise a game selling business, then threw toys when 2 of them got locked.
Last edited by Dudley on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 am

boyo wrote:I even gave Bub&Bob a lift back to his hotel at the Fusion event - he maybe not as old as you and I but he's defiantely not a 'young, immature' person as you state in your posts.
Im only 34 but I must be getting old - cos I don't remember that!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

adrianbean

Post by adrianbean » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:11 am

Hi Dudley,

How on earth can you trust buying something from someone on a forum. Just because you post to each other doesn't make you next door neighbours.

Hi scunny

This is exactly the point I am trying to make. Too many newbies are put off from ever posting ever again, all because they didn't follow some sort of unknown etiquette that they are not aware of. I think instead of slagging them off, you need to give them a break.

scunny

Post by scunny » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:14 am

I dunno dude, you just came across really @rsey. I am not an every day poster myself so if there are rules, I don't even know them, just a basic one I would say is try not to kick off and fly off the handle too quick.

Your most recent post asking about people's most treasured retro item is much more like it.

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:15 am

Personally I wouldn't buy something from someone who's first post was an advert for stuff they are selling.

I know there is still an element of "Can I trust this guy" when you are buying from someone who has posted here for a while, but you are at least a bit reassured byt the fact that they have been artound a while and you have seen posts of thanks from other people who have bought from them.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:15 am

Adrian, seriously if you had come on here, did the usual 'hi, i love retro gaming...' and tried to join in then no one would bat an eyelid.

The guy on the off topic section was a brand new user looking for someone to buy Retro Gamers off him, he didnt even show a photo, it could easily be a scam. I paypal him money and then get nothing in return. Come on ?

People regard a lot of posts like that as spam when they only join just to sell something, granted its retro related but its good practice to post a few times before flogging your wares.

And yes if you start posting the same thing in numerous sections of a forum then some clever a*s like myself will start joking about it.

As for newbies we welcome them all believe it or not, i've met a fair few in person , bought things off them. However its a well known practice that when you join a forum you dont instantly try and sell something. Net etiquette and all that. Its not unknown, its well known. Most forums are the same if a poster with a single post instantly is flogging stuff.

If you've been a fan/buyer of Retro Gamer since issue 1 why havent you joined here for a few posts ? Not saying post 100 every day. No simply you have something to sell so wanted to come here. If you had joined here, 'joined' in a bit, had a few posts then people would trust you and i'm sure you would have had a fair few sales/offers as many people do sell things here.

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:17 am

psj3809 wrote:

As for newbies we welcome them all believe it or not,
wait a minute........eh......you mean none of you guys got stripped naked and tarred and feathered when you joined?!?!?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:21 am

and as I said earlier, if new posters get involved then thats great. You have started a new topic about your most prized possession which is great and thats the reason for this forum.

All I was trying to do was state my perception of the etiquette here - I don't think I was particularly rude but the comment from you about me not having a job cos I post too much here was just plain weird. The whole point of a discussion forum is to discuss.

Anyway, my suggestion would be more posts from you and all will be forgotten before you know it
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward