9/11 - Crikey it's been 7 years...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boyo

Post by boyo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:23 am

http://www.historycommons.org/essay.jsp ... restingday

Amazing read....Not sure what to say about Bush...

DonkeySpank

Post by DonkeySpank » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:35 am

I was working for a satellite broadcaster in Old Street, London. I heard a plane had crashed into the WTC and I also assumed it was some single-engine light aircraft thing that probably caused little damage to the building but significant damage to the plane! Then we switched our TV-wall over to Sky News and watched it all unfold in stunned silence more or less. I remember we started watching just after the 1st tower had been hit and saw the 2nd plane go into the 2nd tower live on air... :shock: I remember thinking this is unprecedented and wondering how on earth it could get any worse - then the first tower collapsed and the world changed...
Last edited by DonkeySpank on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:35 am

I was on holiday in Northern Cyprus, just taking in the news that my Gran had died back home and my OH saying don't worry next few days will be the safest to fly...

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:38 am

i was working security the night before and was just getting in when i saw it on the news....was gobsmacked...when it unfolded that a known terrorist group had claimed credit i just thought, thats it werwe at war!

i spent the next 3 weeks working as part of a security team at a small mosk, they were sh!t scared that igronent idiots would target them in some kind of revenge attack! and their were a couple, nothing seriouse!
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

witchfinder

Post by witchfinder » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:43 am

I was working in IT for a publishing company but was at the dentist when the first plane hit... Got back to find everyone glued to their PC viewing their news site of choice!

When I got home I basically sat glued to the TV for about 4 hours, it truly was terrible, unbelievable and enthralling at the same time...

Funnily enough I had a dream last night that I was caught up in it all, combing the wreckage of the Twin Towers for survivors. I hadn't really given it much thought up until this morning but obviously it is something that will stay with us all forever.
The 100k Challenge - 40 Arcade Classics. 2 MAME Cabs. 1 Average Gamer.
Mastertronic Chronicles - Mastertronic C64 Game Collecting and Reviews
My Youtube Channel (featuring Mastertronic, Funspot, REPLAY and more!)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:01 pm

Was running a branch of McDonalds! Staff came out of the staff room saying a plane had crashed into the WTC! Then it all got worse.

I flicked the radio on and changed the channel on the TV in the Playland - customers and staff stayed glued to it for hours. There was a slump in sales as we all wanted to find out what was going on.

Terrible day.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

TMR

Post by TMR » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:34 pm

i was working as an order picker near Leeds at the time, so we all heard that something had happened via the radio that was piped into the warehouse; i remember hearing the actual details from one of the managers during a break, they'd been watching it on telly in the office.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm

I was at Peterborough Passport Office getting it renewed for my trip to the Middle East on the 13th....

I still went and had a great time, all the delays at the airports meant I had more chance time to drink!

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:06 pm

I was working in Comet at the time.

Everyone stopped and went onto the shop floor where we all watched the tvs.

As they showed footage of the first tower I said to my mate - "Bloody hell, that plane is a bit close".

Tragic.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:18 pm

I was working at school. A staff member said there had been a nuclear strike on New York. Yikes!

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:12 pm

i was at work when our secretary ran into the workshop crying because her brother was in NY at the time and was planning to visit the WTC, i went into the office just in time to see the 2nd plane hit :shock:

her brother was out of the city that day luckily

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:27 pm

The program on tonight looks fascinating about that woman who made out she was in the tower (i think) and appeared to be one of the lucky ones, think she raised some money, milked it for quite a while and then they found out eventually that she wasnt even there and she seemed to be doing it for attention etc. Very strange.

thl

Post by thl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:55 pm

Sureshot wrote:I think the most horrific stuff to watch was the people desperately hanging out of the windows trying to get help and others jumping to their deaths. Terrifying images.
They're left with no choice but to sacrifice themselves or pleaded for help. Can't believe how high they jumped from the tower and end up being splatted to the ground.
psj3809 wrote:The program on tonight looks fascinating about that woman who made out she was in the tower (i think) and appeared to be one of the lucky ones, think she raised some money, milked it for quite a while and then they found out eventually that she wasnt even there and she seemed to be doing it for attention etc. Very strange.
I also watched 'The Falling Man' documentary on Channel 4 which the journalist was trying to identify who the person was in the photograph of that event. Having to search and met family of the dead victims, it turned out that a black sound engineer (by the name of Jonathan Briley) was 'The Falling Man' as his brother recognised the clothes he worn before he died. Because it was such a striking image, it was printed on the front pages of some American newspaper.

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:08 pm

I was at school. I found out when my Mum picked me up at the end of the day.

I was only 11, so didn't really understand the full scale of what had happened.

Anyway, is anyone watching The 9/11 Faker?
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

bolda

Post by bolda » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:55 pm

I was at work and had the BBC News ticker-tape running across the bottom of my PC desktop. Noticed one headline which said "aircraft crashes into WTC", amongst all the other everyday headlines. Didn't initially twig what "WTC" was and once I realised I then thought it must have been a light aircraft. Minutes later the headline changed to "Second plane hits WTC" and within a couple of minutes the ticker-tape was saying "Connection Unavailable"... tried getting onto the BBC news website but no connection. As word spread around our office, someone set up a little portable telly in the electronics lab and loads of us were crammed in there watching the scenes of devastation... like watching a film only with the vague awareness that it was for real.. the wide shots of Manhattan engulfed in a huge cloud of dust/smoke really hit home the scale of the incident.

When I got home in the evening, I just spent hours sat in my pokey little bedroom up in the attic of a shared house, watching the news on my portable telly. Eventually, I turned the sound down and just sat on the end of my bed with my head in my hands, asking myself some serious questions about the world... I knew the world had changed forever, what is my place in a world that is as fooked up as this!?

I was also worried because a girl I'd started going out with a couple of weeks earlier was due to fly out on holiday with her family the following day. Fortunately, everything worked out ok (in fact we're getting married next summer!) It's strange though, because we've been together for 7 years and most of the time we've been together has been post-9/11, which really makes it seem like a long time ago now! :shock:
GAME OVER YEEEAAAHHH!
ImageImageImage