9/11 - Crikey it's been 7 years...

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

boyo

9/11 - Crikey it's been 7 years...

Post by boyo » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:41 am

What were you doing on that fatefull day...

I was in London at Deutche Bank watching it unfold on Sky News via Real Player. We were evacuated as we were next to the Stock Exchange building and on that day we felt anything could happen next - i.e. London could be a target as well.

I left straight for Euston and got back to 'middle' England as soon as possible.

pottyboy

Post by pottyboy » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:45 am

Me... I was at school :) Just started year 10.

"And I've got a little TIP for you. Get the POINT?" - Guybrush Threepwood

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:48 am

I was working in Canon Street in London. Couldnt believe it when i heard the news, i heard a plane went into a building, assumed it was a small lightweight one and was an accident.

Saw the drama unfolding, terrible.

Work allowed us to leave as they thought there might be attacks in London. I stayed put as i thought it would be chaos on the tube etc.

Finally got home late to Reading station, still remember some stupid 18 year old tw@t, everyone was reading the evening papers shocked at what happened outside the station, and this bloke was shouting at the top of his voice 'serves america right, got what they deserved' etc. Still regret not giving that kid a right kicking.

Pleased to see theres been no crap in the conspiracy thread posted today, would have been very poor taste to do that

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:54 am

I was working in Warner Village cinema. Needless to say, since there was a tv in the staff room, I didn't show many films that day.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

thl

Post by thl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:58 am

I was at the Sixth Form Centre in which I started the new term and going to tutorials. When I got home at around 3pm, I turned on the TV and discovered smokes coming out of the World Trade Centre. Can't believed what I had witnessed.

Day later, me and one of my brothers went and bought lot of newspapers which made headlines on the front cover. Very scary experience after reading it and saw photos of that event.

Fred83

Post by Fred83 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:15 am

i remember it well :(.
Last edited by Fred83 on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jimbo_too

Post by jimbo_too » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:18 am

Was sat in a ward in a medical research centre with a tube in my arm watching it unfold live...
Antiriad2097 wrote:Jimbo_too, 11% Troll :lol:

Graham Humphrey

Post by Graham Humphrey » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:38 am

pottyboy wrote:Me... I was at school :) Just started year 10.
Same as me. Had no idea about it until I got home.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:45 am

I was at College at the time. Had no idea that anything had happened until I got home.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:49 am

I was at home as the uni year hadn't started yet, and was sitting at my PC with the TV on next to me. Suddenly, they interrupted whatever program was on to bring a breaking news report, and then you immediately saw footage of the plane hurtling into the building. Was totally gobsmacked and ended up glued to the TV for the rest of the day in between checking to make sure some American friends were alright.

I think the most horrific stuff to watch was the people desperately hanging out of the windows trying to get help and others jumping to their deaths. Terrifying images.

David

Post by David » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:59 am

I remember it saying on tv that there had been an accident and a plane had crashed.

then you just saw the other plane swerving round and smashing into the building :?

Team Alfie

Re: 9/11 - Crikey it's been 7 years...

Post by Team Alfie » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:15 am

boyo wrote:What were you doing on that fatefull day...
As it happens, I was watching Sky News. Sky News is famous for having 'breaking news' flashing across the screen at the smallest of incidents, so there was an initial feeling after the first plane hit that it was an accident that would be forgotten about the next day. There was some discussion as to whether it could have been a terrorist attack, but all was calm. And then the second plane hit and the world was never quite the same.

ZeroCipher

Post by ZeroCipher » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 am

I saw it on the news when i was at home, watched as the 2nd plane hit the building. Freaky stuff!

Later that day I went into london and saw Alien Ant Farm at the Astoria 2. :oops:
Check my radio show every Tuesday 11pm (GMT) on TotalRock.com & every Saturday 8pm ET on FullFreqRadio.com & 11pm EST on TheMixx.FM also via the TuneIn App. On Demand www.mixcloud.com/djforcex

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:33 am

Working in London, everything went off just as many of us were returning from lunch. The rest of the day was spent finding out as much as possible and talking with lots of people Stateside as soon as anyone found out something new (some of the reports strangely were shown on UK news first before it ran on the US channels).

It was also spent finding out if the few people I knew in and around the city were fine. Thankfully no one I know died. But people of friends and acquaintances did...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 am

I was in the southern hemisphere, asleep, and had a new lady friend over. A mate of mine calls me in the middle of the night and says "turn on the TV, it's on every channel". Begrudgingly I did, and there was Monty Python on. My mate happened to be a big Python fan, so I called him back and asked "You woke me in the middle of the night to tell me about a Python marathon?". It took me a while to wake up properly and cotton on.

Then we watched telly for a bit.