Cover
8%
Both
50%

Total votes: 12

thl

Songs - Original vs. Cover

Post by thl » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:08 pm

There's been a lot of music artists that went on and re-recorded some classic tracks.

After I heard Fallout Boy's version of Michael Jackson's Beat It, The Ataris' version of Don Henley's Boys of Summer and Me First And The Gimme Gimmes' live cover version of Take It On The Run (recorded by REO Speedwagon), I was quite impressed with it. And who could forget Deftones version of Keep On Lovin' You? Link. Absolutely hilarious. :lol:

And the question is, which version would you listen to?

TheDude18

Post by TheDude18 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:30 pm

I Like both.

There's some horrendous covers about - Megadeth's version of Paranoid spring to mind.

But on the other hand you have the likes of Jonny Cash covering Hurt which is fantasic stuff.

I'm always curious about covers - take Paradise Lost's version of Small town boy. It's so diffrent to the original's poppy sound but yet it works.

There is a thread somewhere about what are the best cover versions.

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:39 pm

Well, I'm of the opinion that, if you're going to do a cover, you better have a good creative reason for doing so. There better be some fresh new spin on the song. And doing the once funny 'Oh look, it's an old 80s pop song being done all fast by a punk band' thing no longer impresses.
One good one that springs to mind is the Bangles cover of Simon & Garfunkel's 'Hazy Shade of Winter'. That was brilliant.

Can't really vote on the poll though. It's rather a sweeping generalisation, liking JUST covers or JUST originals.

Loftgroover

Post by Loftgroover » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:49 pm

depends on the song and the artist....

i'm not a fan of that old trout jo wiley and her breathless gushing over all the bands that come on her show and do a song you 'wouldn't expect them to do' tho. Travis doing Britney spears etc.

its the musical equivalent of 'zany' people. its highly cuntish.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:54 pm

I think it depends on the song! Some originals are never bettered, while some classic songs, the already mentioned Hurt by Jonny Cash, can benefit from a whole new approach!

What i think is worse though, is when dance bands rip off an old dance bands beat and tune, put new lyrics on it and call it their own! Thats downright rude!

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Wed Sep 10, 2008 12:56 pm

It depends. Some covers are good, some covers are bad.
liveinabin wrote:One good one that springs to mind is the Bangles cover of Simon & Garfunkel's 'Hazy Shade of Winter'. That was brilliant.
Agreed. File alongside FYC's version of Suspicious Minds and PSB's version of Always on my Mind as wonderful 80s interpretations of classic songs.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

TMR

Post by TMR » Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:19 pm

bonerlaw wrote:I think it depends on the song! Some originals are never bettered, while some classic songs, the already mentioned Hurt by Jonny Cash, can benefit from a whole new approach!
i've voted "both" but this sums up how i feel; in some cases i like both, in others i'll like the original or the cover.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:34 pm

Mostly the originals for me, hear way too many covers by crappy boybands.

Been a few decent covers, like the Bangles someone mentioned and the FYC. Mostly much prefer the originals. Cum on feel the noize and I am the Walrus by Oasis I really like.

Even worse when some kid thinks it is an original by their band and they dont know its a cover !

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:09 pm

hard one to answer, some covers are diabolical like the whole of ozzy's under cover lp, but then there are covers which imo blow the original away, sonic youth's version of the carpenters superstar springs to mind, also hanoi rocks version of creedence clearwater revival's up around the bend

sonic youth's version of superstar was featured on the frighteners soundtrack and juno's soundtrack so it must be good :P

edit: just had a listen to the carpenters, what was i thinking?? :oops: sonic youth doesn't even come close
Last edited by SexyWayne on Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:12 pm

psj3809 wrote:Even worse when some kid thinks it is an original by their band and they dont know its a cover !
i had that happen the other day at work, inxs' never tear us apart came on the radio and one of the younger lads said who's this bunch of muppets? they've ripped of some dance band or some other 5hite :roll:

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:02 pm

On the whole I am against covering someone else's work. There is a notable handful that please me, but the rest... bleaurgh! Goodies:

Somethin' Else - Sid Vicious [Eddie Cochrane]
My Way - Sid Vicious [Frank Sinatra]
Burnin' Luv - Sigue Sigue Sputnik [Elvis]
Barbara Ann - The Beach Boys [The Regents]
The aforementiond Bangles track
I Think We're Alone Now - Tiffany [Tommy James and the Shondells]
Money - The Flying Lizards [Barrett Strong]
I Fought The Law - Stray Cats [Sonny Curtis]
Eloise - The Damned [Barry Ryan]

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:48 pm

I think sometimes its a compliment when a band does a cover, as they are such huge fans of the band in question, they just want to do their own version!

I remember watching that Metallica tribute, loads of bands did some quality covers, Korns version of One being particularly memorable!

I also hate young uns thinking Will Young singing Light my Fire is a new song! (sorry, couldnt think of a more recent example!) but saying that, i loved Ace of Base, All That She Wants, and im pretty sure that was a cover, so im just as bad!

But what is the most covered song? Unchained Melody? Word Up? Any one know?

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 pm

How do covers work ? Eg is it up to the actual band or the record company who 'own em' ?

Most of my favourite bands dont let others do covers of their songs, I would HATE it if in 5 or 10 years time some crappy boyband did a cover of my favourite Oasis or Charlatans song.

Thought of another cover ! Ryan Adams - Wonderwall. Very very good version of it, suppose I answered my own question, as Noel and co like Ryan Adams a lot i presume they said yes.

On the other hand i cant see Noel saying yes to Mike Flowers pops ?!

thl

Post by thl » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:09 pm

bonerlaw wrote:I remember watching that Metallica tribute, loads of bands did some quality covers, Korns version of One being particularly memorable!
You mean MTV Icon: Metallica. It also had live cover performances by:

Sum 41 - For Whom The Bell Tolls/Enter Sandman/Master of Puppets
Stain'd - Nothing Else Matters
Avril Lavigne - Fuel
Snoop Dogg - Sad But True
Limp Bizkit - Welcome Home (Sanitarium)

yethboth

Post by yethboth » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:25 am

I was quite impressed with the Fallout Boy cover version of the Michael Jackson song 'Beat It'. :)
My You Tube Channel is: http://www.youtube.com/user/yethboth