Any Amiga experts out there?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

default_user

Any Amiga experts out there?

Post by default_user » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:50 pm

I need help please. I recently aquired an A1200 in a tower case. It was in a state of disrepair but I've managed to get the motherboard to boot up to the "stick a disk in the drive screen". It didn't have a floppy drive in the case but there was a drive cable hanging out of the side. I've tried plugging in the floppys from a couple of my old PCs but it doesn't seem to work. I've tried plugging the cable in in various orientations but it just won't read any disks. Is it because it's too modern? Do I need a dedicated Amiga floppy drive? I'd appreciate any advice.
My little retro corner of the web:
http://www.ricks-graphics.co.uk/area99

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:55 pm

Short answer is yes..! the PC floppy is a 2HD where the Amiga is a 2DD (double sided, double density..?) off the top of my head... been a long time though and I am sure someone else can explain better than me.

default_user

Ah. Well then....

Post by default_user » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:00 pm

If that's the case, does anyone have a spare Amiga internal floppy drive they'd be willing to sell me?

koopa42

Re: Ah. Well then....

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:04 pm

default_user wrote:If that's the case, does anyone have a spare Amiga internal floppy drive they'd be willing to sell me?
I have a spare external if thats any good :? could it be converted?

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:05 pm

Short answer no, a PC floppy won't work. You need a proper Amiga one.

However (and after a quick search as I thought it was impossible) you could get one to work with some jiggery pokery and a bit of work on your part.

Here's a link:
http://www.carrott.org/amiga/floppy.html

However not all drives will work even after doing this so it's up to you if it's worth the effort. Best to try and get a proper Amiga one methinks.

Opa-Opa

Re:

Post by Opa-Opa » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:Short answer is yes..! the PC floppy is a 2HD where the Amiga is a 2DD (double sided, double density..?) off the top of my head... been a long time though and I am sure someone else can explain better than me.
Sorry I wasn't very clear in my answer but I ment yes you DO need a dedicated Amiga floppy drive.

stigodump

Post by stigodump » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:08 pm

Jesus Christ! Am I the slowest typer in the universe? I hadn't read any of the replies before posting mine so apologies if I've repeated anything people have said. :oops:

default_user

Cheers peeps ;)

Post by default_user » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:24 pm

Thanks for all the info guys. Had a lok at the floppy replacement link. I may try that if I get desparate but frankly I can't be bothered with tinkering at that level. I'll see if I can try to get a replacement drive.
Koopa, that external drive may be of use. Maybe it's just a normal drive in a case and can be pulled out. How much would you want to part with it?

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:25 pm

I'll go and take a pic right now and you lot can tell me 8)

default_user

Have a look on eBay...

Post by default_user » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:30 pm

There are loads. I've got my eye on a few but it looks like it'll cost about £11 for one including postage.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:31 pm

OK so I have 3 8) and yes I'm just showing off - one is boxed and mint LOL

koopa42

Re: Have a look on eBay...

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:32 pm

default_user wrote:There are loads. I've got my eye on a few but it looks like it'll cost about £11 for one including postage.
Interested in trade? I like snes and DC stuff

default_user

Trades

Post by default_user » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:42 pm

I too like DC stuff! Very much! So much so in fact that all the DC stuff I have I want to keep! Also, I don't have any SNES stuff apart from a spare power supply and a competition pro pad. Both are working, don't s'pose you'd part ex? Mind you, the cost for us to post to each other I think would negate any gains. There's one on ebay for £5 'buy it now' plus £6 postage. I'm tempted to just do it. Perhaps you'd let me have one of yours for £10 all in? Doesn't even have to be the mint one....

koopa42

Re: Trades

Post by koopa42 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:13 pm

default_user wrote:I too like DC stuff! Very much! So much so in fact that all the DC stuff I have I want to keep! Also, I don't have any SNES stuff apart from a spare power supply and a competition pro pad. Both are working, don't s'pose you'd part ex? Mind you, the cost for us to post to each other I think would negate any gains. There's one on ebay for £5 'buy it now' plus £6 postage. I'm tempted to just do it. Perhaps you'd let me have one of yours for £10 all in? Doesn't even have to be the mint one....
Sold :D its not like I need 3 anyway - PM where you want it sending as I have some ebay stuff i'm sending out this week

Dudley

Re:

Post by Dudley » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:37 am

Opa-Opa wrote:Short answer is yes..! the PC floppy is a 2HD where the Amiga is a 2DD (double sided, double density..?) off the top of my head... been a long time though and I am sure someone else can explain better than me.
HD is backwardly compatible with DD. It's more than the Amiga uses clever formatting tricks to get 880k instead of 720k out of a DD disk and it's stuff PC drives simply aren't capable of without serious poking.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com