Legacy of Kain

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Devious

Legacy of Kain

Post by Devious » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:32 pm

Does anyone else think that the sequels to Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the PlayStation were a travesty of all Justice and that the perpetrators should be hanged?

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:40 am

No. I really enjoyed Soul Reaver and its one that even Mrs Ant recognises.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:13 am

Yep, another Soul Reaver fan here!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:09 am

No way, Blood Omen was immensely awesome true, but Soul Reaver was every bit as good, I enjoyed all the Legacy of Kain games including BO2 which gets the most flack. I only wish they would make another sequel to continue the excellent story.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 am

ShadowMan wrote:No way, Blood Omen was immensely awesome true, but Soul Reaver was every bit as good, I enjoyed all the Legacy of Kain games including BO2 which gets the most flack. I only wish they would make another sequel to continue the excellent story.
I agree completely!
Blood Omen was good, Soul Reaver was entirely different, but very good!
But if you're talking about Blood Omen 2 (PS2), yes, this sequel was awful...
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Opa-Opa

Re: Legacy of Kain

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:27 am

Devious wrote:Does anyone else think that the sequels to Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the PlayStation were a travesty of all Justice and that the perpetrators should be hanged?
Yes..!

The first game was a fantastic top down RPG, the rest are 3D Tomb raider rip offs with very poor camara angles and not much else.

sleeper77

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:38 am

Soul Reaver also gets my vote. What I could see at the time was that it is the sort of game you could get into or not, depending on your preferences. Those looking for an arcadey type blast and loads of action, forget it, this is not for them. But if you like your game with a rolling storyline, depth and plenty of thinking to do then this is the game to look out for. Imo, this really is an unappreciated classic.

nesmaster

Post by nesmaster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:22 am

I haven't played blood omen but i completed soul reaver. I thought it bloody dull and boring.

Devious

Re: Legacy of Kain

Post by Devious » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:05 pm

Opa-Opa wrote:
Devious wrote:Does anyone else think that the sequels to Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain for the PlayStation were a travesty of all Justice and that the perpetrators should be hanged?
Yes..!

The first game was a fantastic top down RPG, the rest are 3D Tomb raider rip offs with very poor camara angles and not much else.
Quite true! :) The eloquence and sophistication of the dialog and action in the first one was very impressive. Imho, all that was lost on the follow ups.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:22 pm

I really enjoyed Soul Reaver on Dreamcast and played it recently, also going through Soul Reaver II on PS2. Terrific stories also, think your being a little harsh on them, yes there's a little bit of repeated hack n slash but still fun I think...

Devious

Post by Devious » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:23 pm

nesmaster wrote:I haven't played blood omen but i completed soul reaver. I thought it bloody dull and boring.
I agree. I played a demo of Soul Reaver and apart from the flying/gliding it was horrible. Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain is definitely worth getting. I got mine with a strategy guide, which was extremely helpful, but I was careful not to let it spoil the adventure by reading too far ahead. BTW, for adventure/action/survival horror games it'd be a very good idea to invest in the official strategy guides/walkthroughs published for them or get user created ones free in text/pdf form from the internet because there is a great deal of content and variations, etc that require chance to discover, or may not be accesible at all, without help. You owe it to yourself if you own the game or plan to buy it to also invest in a strategy guide for it. Shenmue is a good example of a game with scenes, action, and dialog that are conditional or only occur at a specific time of day, etc. Nowadays, much of the same material covered in the books may be available free on the internet, I reckon. 8)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:43 pm

Never buy strategy guides. Its all on Gamefaqs anyway. And shouldn't be looked at until you've either finished the game or at least played it to the point where you know is impossible to proceed without assistance. Starting out with a guide is a bad idea.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm the opposite. I thought the original Legacy Of Kain was a very average game with little lasting appeal but loved the sequels (Soul Reaver etc.)
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

mick_aka

Post by mick_aka » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:48 am

I'm sorry but Soul Reaver was awesome, particularly on the Dreamcast.

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sun Sep 07, 2008 4:33 am

mick_aka wrote:I'm sorry but Soul Reaver was awesome, particularly on the Dreamcast.
Don't be sorry, it's not your fault your wrong...

The first game is a classic and when I first heard there was going to be a sequel I got excited. When it turned up it was another bloody 3D load of cack to go into the Nightmare creatures rubbish pile...