25/12

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

I think that...

...it is possible to squeeze a fat beardy man down the chimney.
54%
...parental agents, sponsored by the corporate media, as evident by the projected cookie dust and whiskey residue, were used to deliver the presents to the tree underside.
15%
...this isn't something I should be concerned about, no-one I know has been killed, I've never been to the North Pole, why should I care? Pass me the joystick let's get back to Christmasland Dizzy.
31%

Total votes: 13

R. Prime

25/12

Post by R. Prime » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:02 pm

I just thought with the many years since the presents started appearing under the tree, I'd be interested to know whether the whole story still washes with you guys.

It baffles me how sometimes smart kids don't think very hard about what they're told. Most toy enthusiasts are on the higher side of the brainy scale I like to think.

[not too off topic I hope :wink: ]

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:07 pm

pirate wrote:Oh no ! Not the conspiracies about 25th of December !

This kind of thing happens every year, when has anyone not received presents from Santa at Christmas? I cant believe that any self respecting parent would lie to their children year after year, which some conspiracy nuts seem to think.

If it wasnt Santa Claus then you know 100% that St. Nick and his cronies (the Christmas Elves) would be saying to the world 'the parents did it, its nothing to do with us', they could easily tell the Children's Television Workshop that.

Do the crazy Christmas gang say that ? Nope ! The only people who are saying that are the people with way too much time on their hands to read nut-job conspiracies that their parents were behind it etc.

I've read a few of the conspiracy stuff and some makes you think 'damn what if' but you can write any stuff like that , look at the nuts who believe the earth is flat (I went to their forum and its quite scary the way they go on about non-believers !).

If the parents planted presents you know someone would be going to the media for sure, they cant keep it a secret that Yoda is actually a puppet with Frank Oz's hand up his whatsit, but they can keep it secret about a global conspiracy mission about giving away free presents just because someone is well behaved? Come on.
R. Prime wrote:It baffles me how sometimes smart kids don't think very hard about what they're told. Most toy enthusiasts are on the higher side of the brainy scale I like to think.

I dont agree with this at all, so i believe 'what i'm told' so i'm not brainy ? However a lot of the nuts who believe its a huge conspiracy arent crazy and instead are on the 'higher scale' ? Come on. Christmas is a conspiracy theorists wet dream.

I think its very disrespectful to the 1000's of kids in Africa who don't get presents when people talk like this.
arnold wrote:OK lets say the millions of parents did just decide to lie to their children for years.

Surely there would a good few people who knew about the planning of this recurring event. Would every single one of them be trusted to never say anything about it?

absolute bollocks as far as I am concerned.
pirate wrote:Totally agree. But you know for sure St. Nick would be telling the world that the parents were behind it if that was the case.

Just wish people would sometimes accept the truth, if you believe the parents werent behind it then they say you cant think for yourself, that youre a lemming and all that BS.
arnold wrote:sometimes I think the internet is the worst invention ever.

It's given all these crackpots a chance to get together in their thousands and peddle their crazed theories.
handy wrote:Conspiracy theories about christmas are the worst and most disrespectful thing ever, IMHO. I'd also enjoy not being told I'm stupid simply because I believe that Xmas morning was as seen. In fact, the conspiracy theorists are the stupid ones (sorry Prime, but this includes you).

For example, to explain some of their 'facts' is very easy. They believe that it is impossible to strap a rocket onto a reindeer, this means that deer can't fly however what about the fact that several independent sources have said thata they saw rocket deers which carried Santa around, and funny enough, there are hoof prints in my driveway every year?

Yeah, explain that away, 'smart' boy.
OilKing wrote:This poll is silly. The fat man didn't 'squeeze down' the chimney. The heat from the fire in the chimneys softened the brick housing until they no longer held offered sufficient resistance, at which point the beardy man just slid down.
Wow, OK. I did gear my questions in a certain way to make a point.
Apologies to anyone who may have been offended.

I think a lot of people base their opinion, and their level of offence, on the revulsion of the idea that their parents would do such a thing, rather than the facts.

Most of the rebuttal here is not based on facts, but rather on name calling and denial.
The easiest way to dismiss an uncomfortable reality is by slinging names about - "conspiracy nut" being an easy one to run with.

There were in fact 3 children that did not receive presents on that day. Feel free to research it:

This guy, This guy and This guy

If I could recommend one website to look up:
http://www.xmas2512truth.org/

I would believe a collective of registered chimneysweeps and engineers on how a fat man wouldn't fit in a chimney, than a report driven by a bunch of parentals who get peace & quiet directly using toy bribery.

And to anyone who doesn't believe that their parents would stoop to such things, I would recommend running into their room at night when you hear a banging sound. You'll see some perverted stuff there.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:09 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Most LOLsworthy! At last a conspiracy theory I can really get behind.

Also...

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:12 pm

:lol:

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:18 pm

He's REAL!!!!

And you won't convince me otherwise.

I always listen out for the sleigh bells every Xmas Eve.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

boyo

Post by boyo » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:21 pm

Brilliant thread :D :D

Now I have 3 kids 9, 6 and 2. At what age, if indeed Father Christmas does not exist (not saying either way!), do I tell them the truth (whatever the truth maybe?)

liveinabin

Post by liveinabin » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:26 pm

He IS real. He does deliver gifts to everyone in the world in one night. He's helped by large Arab oil concerns and the tiny baby Jesus's magic.

David

Post by David » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:40 pm

haha fair play mate, well done for taking the other thread in good spirits and not sulking off like a baby :D

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:44 pm

Indeed :)
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:06 pm

...this isn't something I should be concerned about, no-one I know has been killed, I've never been to the North Pole, why should I care? Pass me the joystick let's get back to Christmasland Dizzy.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:06 pm

:lol: A most EXCELLENT thread :lol:
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

R. Prime

Post by R. Prime » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:29 pm

Nice one guys, glad I haven't been entirely ostracised for my political beliefs!

:)

Everyone's entitled to theirs, and that's what's cool about the internet, you get access to alternative viewpoints and can make up your own mind.
(At least until Internet2 comes along. :wink: That's a whole other conspiracy.)

Makes a change from the usual Speccy vs 64 flame wars!

Which I admit I have no right to take part in, seeing as I have never even seen a Spectrum running. :oops:

(PS apologies for the "no one I know has been killed" in the above - one thing I forgot to edit)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:17 pm

Is now a good time to complain to Daz about promoting the trivialising of a religious festival?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

mohicankid

Post by mohicankid » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:52 pm

i just think about when i was a child and variouse bodies (parents,teachers,the cat on tv) would constantly warn me of the danger involved in associating with strangers....don't talk to them,don't accept sweets/presents off of them,don't go anywhere with them,don't get to close to them...etc,etc

then december comes around and you'r mum shoves you in a dark pre-fab hut with a complete stranger, who smells slightly of wee, and you have to sit on his knee and tell him what present you want him to bring when he forces his way into your bedroom late at night to empty his sack :shock:

no wonder i couldnt sleep on christmass eve...it wasn't exitment it was bloody fear! :?

:P
Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water...

AlleyKat

Post by AlleyKat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:03 pm

Brrr- suddenly I'm reminded of a nasty Ramsey Campbell short story called The Chimney.

Christmas never seemed the same after reading that f**ker.
speed/missile/double/laser/option/?