Crash Magazine scanned on dvd's & on sale on eBay ?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

LeeT

Re:

Post by LeeT » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:49 am

Frank Chickens wrote:Sorry for being out of the loop about this, but has anyone done PCG yet? Would love to re-read the unreleased games feature again.
Mort has also done 'Personal Computer Games'....

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:14 am

I'm totally thankful to Mort for doing all the hard work for creating those dvds. I dont think Mort exactly makes a huge profit if at all, if anything it seems more of a hobby to him and as long as he recoups his cost for all the time its taken and all those scanners its great.

If it wasnt for Mort many of these magazines would just die a death. Obviously on ebay you'll get someone who has bought the disc and then has decided to copy it and sell it. This happens on ebay all the time.

As for being legal or not i personally dont care. We're all hypocritical as anything if anyone moans about it being illegal. We're all sat here with emulators/roms and mp3's on our machines arent we ? Most people into retro gaming have 'illegal roms' but lets not get into that old chestnut. If it wasnt for illegal roms/emulators then there wouldnt be this retro boom, many companies eg Nintendo and others by re-releasing now their old games are making a good chunk of money and thats because of people using the old roms.

Thank god Mort has scanned in all those mags, its brilliant using the viewer to go through reading all those old pages from yesteryear.

Outside of roms/emulators/Retro Gamer, the mag scans from Mort are the next best thing in my collection. Sadly lost all my Crashes years ago but can now relieve those old days forever now thanks to those dvds.

TheEbayGuy

Post by TheEbayGuy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:17 pm

yes, as you probably guessed from my username, I was the person selling the DVD's on Ebay.

I have read with some interest all of the posts in this thread and would like to comment on one or two of them:

@LeeT "Though obviously this guy is likely to be passing Mort's scans as his own work, which is a bit naughty! "
Errr, no I don't where you got that idea, but I was in no way passing this off as my own work.

@Dudley "This guy is doing it purely for the money."
Well duh! no offence mate but why else would I be selling on Ebay? its not a charity site!

@Andy Vaisey "The Ebay guy is yet another person wanting to cash in on Morts hard work, assuming they are ripped off."
Actually you are bang out of order there, I D/L the scans from an FTP about 8 months ago, had no idea they 'belonged' to someone else other than a defunct publisher and quite wrongly I assumed they were Public Domain.

@Dudley "Plus the Mort ones are really well presented. This guy is basically offering a disk in a plastic wallet."
What would you expect for £2.99 with free postage???

Ok now that's off my chest.

Mort contacted me and asked me to take down the listing, he explained about all the work he put in on it. I did feel censored and truly didn't realise that this was his lifes work. I apologised to him, and I repeat my apologies to you Mort. I think it's really great that someone is taking the time and effort to preserve these timeless classics.

I must repeat that I had no idea that anyone was relying on this to fund their hobby. No excuse I know, but well nobody's perfect.

Thanks for reading.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:02 pm

Good show. No harm, no foul.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com