Random Irritations

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Smurph

Post by Smurph » Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:47 pm

You know what? Sick of this sht. I come here to have a bit of banter about retro games, and now I'm being picked on because I got offended. Don't care anymore, I'm not going to get annoyed about it or feed your trolling.
Antiriad2097 wrote:There is no in or out, just a constant state of retro gamer.
Nowloading.co.uk My Retrobate Profile

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:02 pm

Smurph wrote:
Dudley wrote:People who ignore that the first person to say that has demonstrable experience of it in order to make a point and feel smug for a bit.

People who think that anyone who at any point disagrees with them must be part of a snooty internet clique.
Well what a surprise. Dudley weighs in with an opinion, proving the clique theory.
*sigh*

So Toxie stuck up for me because I was offended by your remarks, and that makes us a clique? Get a life.
Except that's EXACTLY the accusation you just levelled at me.
Why did you quote me? I merely stated an opinion about something tha irritates me, with regards to no-one in particular.

There is no need to be paranoid. Unless you feel you have something to be paranoid about.
Oh don't insult all our intelligences by pretending you weren't talking about the mental health discussion in this thread.

Although by ignoring the bit where the original exponent of that view SAYS THEY HAD DEPRESSION you've probably done that already.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:04 pm

Smurph wrote:You know what? Sick of this sht. I come here to have a bit of banter about retro games, and now I'm being picked on because I got offended. Don't care anymore, I'm not going to get annoyed about it or feed your trolling.
No you're not being picked on.

You're being picked UP on lashing out with insults and accusations because someone's dared to disagree with you. You've labelled me a blind member of a clique for NO reason other than I happened to point out the person who made the comment you were "offended by" has experience of what he's talking about.

You appear to not have that experience.

You also appear to have failed to notice I've expressed no opinons on the issue at all, merely piped up to point out certain people hadn't the decency to read posts before entering "Wad Panties" into their brain computer.

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:09 pm

Silly little thread? :(

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:21 pm

As usual there is a ferocity in some of these comments which are quite unpleasant and unnecessary as I've never seen anyone's opinions ever change on this bloody forum anyway!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:23 pm

Dudley wrote:
Why did you quote me? I merely stated an opinion about something tha irritates me, with regards to no-one in particular.

There is no need to be paranoid. Unless you feel you have something to be paranoid about.
Oh don't insult all our intelligences by pretending you weren't talking about the mental health discussion in this thread.

Although by ignoring the bit where the original exponent of that view SAYS THEY HAD DEPRESSION you've probably done that already.
I didn't insult anybody's intelligence, did I? Please explain, with proof, where I did and I will hold up my hands and apologise. If you yourself feel that my comment applies to that situation, then it's you yourself who has made the link. If indeed, nothing was said out of turn during the brief mental health discussion, then you have absolutely no need to fabricate a link between it and my comment. I merely posted an opinion about something that irritates me, in relation to the topic of this thread. That's all.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:32 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:Depressed people. Its not a proper illness. Get over it.
Antiriad2097 wrote: But I don't think depression is a catch all 'illness'.
It is difficult to understand how the same person can have posted both of these statements, as there's more than a hint of contradiction about them. On the one hand, the original post on this subject categorizies 'depressed people' as a group (as proved by the use of the term 'it', referring to all depressive illnesses collectively). A few posts later, the same poster seems to claim that those people are not a group but in fact individuals with diverse needs. I certainly agree with that: I doubt whether, for example, a woman suffering from depression due to the menopause has the same needs as someone suffering from bipolar disorder, or someone suffering from low self-esteem because they've lost their job. I don't think that one individual who has suffered from a particular depressive affliction can render everyone else's arguments invalid.

And, Leefishuk - it was a nice thread, not silly at all, full of Dave Allen-esque observations about shopping queues and other such whimsies!
Last edited by Havantgottaclue on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:38 pm

I've got to say I agree, though. I've been there, done that, the whole "depression" thing - been diagnosed as "clinical" (gosh) and been given lots of interesting little tablets by a beardy-weirdy spouting Freud, but in all honesty it only took something GOOD happening in my life to lift me out of it without all the other rubbish, which taught me a major lesson in life I hope I never forget.
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:41 pm

I must admit i'm sitting on the fence, i know some people get depression very badly but i also know a fair few who should have just 'got over it' when its something quite minor. Some of my friends have acted like a 14 year old getting dumped by his first ever girlfriend and gone totally OTT.

A lot of bad things have happened in my life, i refuse to go on meds and just got over it, like the master says when something good happens it changes everything. Death of someone in my family, break-ups and job redundancies have been very bad but i'm not going on pills. NOT everyone but some people just seem to instantly want the happy pills instead of just getting through it the old fashioned way.

I think nowadays we live in a society where its so easy to give someone some meds to get over some depression (i'm not talking about major depression) even if its somethign quite minor. Seen a few friends hooked on these pills forever whereas in the old days people would take a few days off to get over it and then be fine and back at work.

Again i'm not talking about major depression, just people seem to cry wolf at lots of minor things nowadays. My mates mum has been on happy pills for about 35 years since her divorce, granted divorces are painful but she was only 24, could be much worse if she was 60 type of thing. Whenever i'm down about anything i put it into perspective and realise its not that bad at all compared to many peoples problems out there in the world (starvation, abuse etc)

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Agree to Disagree...

Nobodys stance is going to be changed in this argument and the thread has been well and truely highjacked....

So...

People that can see you looking at something on a shop shelf but still wonder infront of you and stop to look blocking your view....Ignorant tw*ts.!

Why Texaco, Bp and the likes always charge 6p a litre more than the supermarkets... How does that work then.?!

Junk mail and junk phone calls.!

RIK

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:58 pm

RetroRik wrote: Why Texaco, Bp and the likes always charge 6p a litre more than the supermarkets... How does that work then.?!
Because for the supermarkets they stand to make a hell of a lot more from the attached stores.

pantal00ns

Post by pantal00ns » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:00 pm

The fact that the government are still saying we are not heading for a recession, or in one. As a country we have'nt made any money, and we owe shitloads. (Awaits flame for financial inaccuracy).

Lager percentages, last week Carlsberg was 4%, now its 3.8%. Probably the best lager in the world with the worst quality control.

@MASTER - I tried superhuman speed at my local Sommerfield today. Had a free run good velocity, lost all credbility as I punted a stack of baskets after dismount . :? More work is required.

RetroRik

Post by RetroRik » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:08 pm

The financial people saying that the huge drop in house prices is an adjustment to the market that was needed as they were artificially high.
Well why didnt they say that was going to happen before thousands of people extended there mortgages and borrowed more money against them and now find themselves in the sh*t.!

RIK

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:13 pm

Havantgottaclue wrote:
It is difficult to understand how the same person can have posted both of these statements, as there's more than a hint of contradiction about them.
Not at all. I can't be doing with all the people I meet with generic 'depression'. Being bipolar is altogether a different kettle of fish - that's proper mental that is.

The former - not ill. The latter - ill. Simple distinction.

Next...

Arguments that spiral out of control.

Being assigned to a clique because you have similar opinions to someone else and as a result are supportive of that person.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Havantgottaclue

Post by Havantgottaclue » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:18 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Havantgottaclue wrote:
It is difficult to understand how the same person can have posted both of these statements, as there's more than a hint of contradiction about them.
Not at all. I can't be doing with all the people I meet with generic 'depression'. Being bipolar is altogether a different kettle of fish - that's proper mental that is.

The former - not ill. The latter - ill. Simple distinction.

Next...

Arguments that spiral out of control.

Being assigned to a clique because you have similar opinions to someone else and as a result are supportive of that person.
You have not explained how your own posts do not contradict each other.