Random Irritations

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

STranger81

Post by STranger81 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 11:50 am

the work speak ones i have to agree with. i was once the produce manager at a supermarket. and we had one manager who swallowed a book of that and just regurgitated it all the time. stuff like "walk and talk", "24/7 365", "bulk stock means bulk buy" "alpha manager".... and he abreviated everything because "talking wastes business time", for example :

"eh giz a min mate, set me up a mob vo con" (in a terrible stoke accent)

which translates into english as "excuse me young sir, might you spare a second of your oh so valuble time to help me establish a hands free conversation using my mobile telephone?"

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:35 pm

I cant stand the David Brent types, all come from the same uni, talking the talk, all marketing blurb etc. Laughable.

Hate people who use TLA's, total prats

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:44 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Emperor Fossil wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:People who walk up escalators. If you want to walk, take the stairs.
:lol: But that's the problem... there are no stairs. Or at least, trying to use them will probably set off a fire alarm or something.
If you were meant to walk on escalators, they wouldn't be escalators, they would be stairs. Mother ingrained in me very young - do not walk on escalators, do not stand at the edge of the escalator, keep your hand on the rail.
Seriously, are you telling me that waiting the few seconds it takes to get to the top will ruin your day? Its like people who speed or drive up your bum, yet minutes later you end up sitting next to them at a junction again - it achieves nothing.
But why do these people need to block the escalator? Why not stand to one side? Obviously it doesn't bother me too much -- after all, my gripe was really about the dopes who step off the escalator and then just stop and stand in the way of those coming off the escalator after them -- but there are times when it does bug me... if I'm running late, for example. At those times I just 'scuse me' my way past, but it's still kind of annoying.

And also, SUPERHUMAN SPEED!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:45 pm

Its not just old grannies who do it, people who you are walking behind who suddenly just stop instantly so you practically whack into them. Crazy !

People who slow down to about 20 mph when theres a speed camera on the OTHER side of the road and a road sign which says 30.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:56 pm

People who think escalators are two lanes wide. They're not. If they were, a single person wouldn't 'block' them ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:05 pm

That's just it... it's not so much the single people (unless they stand right in the middle cos their mum told them to), it's the pairs of people who insist on standing side by side that cause most blockages.

They are a menace, I tell you!

If I had my way, all escalators would have these signs.

...and there would be strict penalties for failure to comply. I don't know what... maybe lashings or something.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:06 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:People who think escalators are two lanes wide. They're not. If they were, a single person wouldn't 'block' them ;)
Escalators ARE two lanes wide. On the ones in the main train station here it's even written on each one, "Links Stehen, Rechts Gehen" - stand and dawdle on the left, but on the right - SUPERHUMAN SPEED!

Edit: Emperor Fossil - exactly, but topsy-turvy ;)
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:11 pm

heh, come to think of it, I probably shouldn't have both signs on the one escalator.

Or maybe I should. Lashings for all!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:17 pm

When appropriately signposted, fair enough. I don't think there are any that wide here.
No signage, no dual lanes.

New annoyance: Single lane escalators without appropriate signage ;)

Conspiracy theorists.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

woody.cool

Post by woody.cool » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:25 pm

Your not the only one who hates the trolley walleys in the supermarkets, Empror Fossil

I try to avoid shopping at busy periods, partly because I sometime get a little claustrophobic, and supermarkets make it worse.

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:27 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:New annoyance: Single lane escalators without appropriate signage ;)
eek! That's like some kind of horrible torture device.

Right, I'll shut up about escalators now, but this is an example of the ones at Wynyard station in Sydney. They're looooong and not very fast, and I used to have to go up them every morning. Gaze upon this, imagine it blocked, and feel my pain! Or at least feel my simmering impatience.

Antiriad2097 wrote:Conspiracy theorists.
Oh yes indeedy.

The Master

Post by The Master » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:34 pm

I'll take a picture of the ones in Basel SBB tomorrow...
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Emperor Fossil

Post by Emperor Fossil » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:36 pm

woody.cool wrote:I try to avoid shopping at busy periods, partly because I sometime get a little claustrophobic, and supermarkets make it worse.
I can imagine. It's the way the other shoppers sometimes just hem you in with their trolleys, and then just kind of stand there like cows... it can be oddly stressful.
The Master wrote:I'll take a picture of the ones in Basel SBB tomorrow...
I will be looking forward to it. Bonus points if you're on the escalator, standing behind people blocking it, while checking your watch and looking frustrated.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:18 pm

Emperor Fossil wrote:
The Master wrote:I'll take a picture of the ones in Basel SBB tomorrow...
I will be looking forward to it. Bonus points if you're on the escalator, standing behind people blocking it, while checking your watch and looking frustrated.
Even more bonus points if he's actually blocking people.
Splink!

leefishuk

Post by leefishuk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Even more:

Wasps - insect bastards

Stubbing my toe - bloody hurts

The mother of a 15 year old girl who weighs 33 stone who says she could not afford healthy food.
I am not a consumer expert but I expect that fruit and veg costs less than chocolate, crisps and takeaways.