Random Irritations

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

The Master

Post by The Master » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:23 pm

He's been mental but got better, like me, and probably several of us at least. What's to understand?
gleeple doople zwak-zwak snafn olg mmnnnnip

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:56 pm

Must be mental ;)

People who miss the point.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:14 pm

lets just agree to disagree, please and lets get back to the matter on hand.

my next one is boobies. why do some birds, who obviously have none wear push up bras to make what they have look bigger? how can you make non existant look bigger, for f**ks sake?

touch pad mice that seem to think that it knows what you want to point at. mines doing it all the time. and then it bloody disappears like a deranged schoolgirl. And also, keyboards that dont type half the sodding letters you want it to so a sentence looks like:

ast wek i wnt t scrborgh. I HATE THAT!!!

kids who try and speak street. you aint in a gang. you look like an idiot dressing like an american kid. and you've a huge spot on your face. go pop it.

kids who think knives are cool. c*nts. total c*nts. mind you, that goes for anyone who thinks knives are cool and take them with them every where they go. they're all c*nts.

sorry for the use of language, but it gets my back up, what with knife crime the way it is. you'd think these prats would wake up and listen. it ain't smart and it ain't clever. at all.
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:15 pm

The Master wrote:He's been mental but got better, like me, and probably several of us at least. What's to understand?
Havantgottaclue is merely trying to understand whether Antiriad2097 views depression as an illness or not.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Havantgottaclue wrote:
Antiriad2097 wrote:Depressed people. Its not a proper illness. Get over it.
Antiriad2097 wrote: But I don't think depression is a catch all 'illness'.
It is difficult to understand how the same person can have posted both of these statements, as there's more than a hint of contradiction about them.
Not at all. I can't be doing with all the people I meet with generic 'depression'. Being bipolar is altogether a different kettle of fish - that's proper mental that is.

The former - not ill. The latter - ill. Simple distinction.
It's not a simple distinction at all. By your own words, you recognise being bipolar as being ill. Therefore, logic dictates that depression must also be an illness, as it is one of the major factors of Bipolar Disorder. I realise that Wikipedia is seldom the best source of information, but it's section on Bipolar Disorder is pretty clear on the matter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder.

Bipolar Disorder, which we've established here is an illness, is also commonly known as 'Manic Depression'.

I agree that many people who have had mishaps or upsets in their life, and then claim to be 'depressed' are nothing of the sort and just need to 'get over it' as you say.....I lost both my marriage and my job in one fell swoop at the end of last year and 'just got over it' instead of sinking into a pit of despair/medication/etc. Not that I would be critical of anybody who did have to use medication to help them get over a rough patch in their life, of course, but we're all entitled to our own opinions on that matter.

But to generalise all 'depressed people' as not having a proper illness was extreme folly and I'm not surprised that people were offended by your comment. It certainly wasn't the wisest choice of words.

I think what you actually meant was:

'People who claim to be depressed just because a couple of bad things have happened to them in their life are not really ill and just need to get over it.'

That statement, whilst I'm sure will still upset some people, actually has some credibility to it.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Next...

Arguments that spiral out of control
Couldn't agree more. Arguments are always resolved a lot more quickly when the original poster addresses what they have said in a calm manner, instead of others adding to it and making it look even worse. Thank you.
Last edited by ToxieDogg on Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

Opa-Opa

Post by Opa-Opa » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:17 pm

The depressed morons that wind me up the most are the ones who get 6 months off work, being paid, and you have to do the job of 2 people because some mental "can't cope with the pressure"...
These people need a good kick up the arse and to be told to stop messing around and sort their sht out by a Dr rather than being told to sit and eat pills like smarties and watch Jeremy kyle all day.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Being a manic depressive myself (I've been on tablets for around 10 years now) I find the comments made in the thread, hurtful, bewildering, but above all extremely ignorant.

Those who have thrown about comments along the lines of 'it's not a real illness' may not have experienced/seen stuff that's caused them to want to self harm, try to take their own lives (or indeed take their own lives) or go to other extremeties, but I assure this, it's a perfectly valid illness.

It's somewhat unsurprising to see the same old forum members throwing around the same old crap, and I'm sure that people will start bleating on other forums that they should be allowed to say whatever they want on the internet, buit I don't care. You're not saying offensive stuff here and this topic is now being locked.

Those who want to complain, feel free to pm me, but seeing it's my birthday today, don't expect a response any time soon...