When you were a boy racer

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Post by SexyWayne » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:49 pm

Sega2006 wrote:Oh I do love watching Chavmobiles get MOT'd because MOT testers like Sexy Wayne do make them rip all the stuff that made their car 'Blinging' off.
You would have thought the burkes would have learnt by now.
Another intresting and dodgey loophole I learnt whilst trialing at once place was that you could drive your souped up car in with no Cat (It strangles the engine, removing it gives better exhaust flow and power at cost of emissions), have one bolted on, do the MOT and then take it off again.
you'd be surprised at the amount of loopholes in the current mot test, such as cracks in windscreens, if i fail one, the bloke can bring it back with slightly shorter wiperblades and as long as the crack isn't in the swept area it'll then pass :lol:

besides the mot is only as good as the day the car is tested, it says so on the certificate, something like blah, blah, time of test and does not mean the car is in a roadworthy condition, the mot is bare minimum road worthiness nothing more.

a few cars i've mot'd with cats removed have actually still passed the emissions test

but there's nothing like seeing some little chavvy bastard's face when he's told his car has failed :twisted:

User avatar
sleeper77
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Post by sleeper77 » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:22 pm

Katzkatz wrote: Interestingly I was thinking of getting a Honda Prelude as my next car, what are they like sleeper 77?
The one I had was the 97-01 model. Its not the fastest thing to drive, does 0-60 in only 8 secs for the 2.2 VTI manual version (automatic is slower). But it is very comfortable, smooth, good handling, strong engine and is a real headturner when you add a nice spoiler. The previous generation Prelude is a bit faster and what I'm told easier to modify, since the engine bay has a lot of free space to add something like a turbo kit or supercharger etc... I haven't checked if its actually possible but thats what I was told anyway. If you still want to go for a Honda, go for the Integra. The acceleration and grip on them is superb and can even go upto 140 maybe even 150 mph.

User avatar
boggyb68
Posts: 2194
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 am
Location: On the planet of the Wardrobe Monsters...

Post by boggyb68 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:48 am

The nearest I got to modding my motor was customising my XR2, by having it bored out from 96bhp to 109, adding the Starshaped RS alloys (looked really smart those wheels), and added some different XR2 decals onto it (a blue stripe down the side, small XR2 logo down by the wheelarches and on the back hatch). It was a different looking car as it was diamond white with black skirts and bumpers (most others were white with white skirts, but they really discoloured as they got older).

Inside all I did was add a Kenwood pull out system with two speakers on the parcel shelf (keeping the frod speakers active making it a 6 speaker system, wow!) and a cobra remote alarm system.

Loved that motor, it was understated but was different enough...

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Image

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:52 am

sleeper77 wrote:
Katzkatz wrote: Interestingly I was thinking of getting a Honda Prelude as my next car, what are they like sleeper 77?
The one I had was the 97-01 model. Its not the fastest thing to drive, does 0-60 in only 8 secs for the 2.2 VTI manual version (automatic is slower). But it is very comfortable, smooth, good handling, strong engine and is a real headturner when you add a nice spoiler. The previous generation Prelude is a bit faster and what I'm told easier to modify, since the engine bay has a lot of free space to add something like a turbo kit or supercharger etc... I haven't checked if its actually possible but thats what I was told anyway. If you still want to go for a Honda, go for the Integra. The acceleration and grip on them is superb and can even go upto 140 maybe even 150 mph.
I noticed the older version and it does look like a very pretty car, especially in silver! I like Hondas as I used to have an old CRX and love the old VTEC in it. You have to give them some revs but they do reward with a lot of fun. Does it come with cruise control? That is another thing I modded to my current car (a bit boring I know, but it comes in useful).

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Katzkatz wrote:I noticed the older version and it does look like a very pretty car, especially in silver! I like Hondas as I used to have an old CRX and love the old VTEC in it. You have to give them some revs but they do reward with a lot of fun. Does it come with cruise control? That is another thing I modded to my current car (a bit boring I know, but it comes in useful).
oooh crx v-tec nippy little feckers they are, 150bhp from a 1600cc, my brother used to have one until he got followed home from work one night, next morning it was gone, was great racing each other in our younger crazier days :twisted:

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:18 pm

I went rhgouh a phase of being a boy racer but I didn't have much money and was only 19 so couldn't afford to do what I wanted but I had plans.. My first car being a Austin Metro 899cc lol, but quickly upgraded to a Vauxhall Nova 1.2L hehe, wanted a GSI ideally.

Used to read Max Power and creamed over some of the modified Novas with Astra/Calibra 16v engines dumped inside with 350bhp, watched them at Santa pod too. Thankfully I grew up and now see a car as a means of getting from A > B. A tin box with 4 wheels is essentially all they are to me nowadays but if I had real money I would probably like to have a little side project for the fun of it.
Image

psj3809
Posts: 18866
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:28 am

Post by psj3809 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:25 pm

Same here, its like we're all turning into our dads !

As in my dad said the same thing to me when i wanted some souped up car when at the end of the day it would have looked chavtastic (terrible) and thankfully i didnt go through with it.

Its one of those things where you would look back and laugh at what the car looked like when youre older or cringe when you think back to yourself if you were racing old gits on the motorway.

Thankfully i discovered pubs/girls and didnt bother spending a ton of money on a car when i was younger and just went with the basic one i had.

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Post by C=Style » Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:34 pm

Aye, another thing to consider is the fact our roads in general aren't cut out for modified cars with lowered suspensions etc, they are far from smooth asphalt race tracks lol, well they are in Norfolk anyway. That's why 4x4 are popular here as the back roads are so terrible they put massive strain on all aspects of the car and wear and tear develops very quickly. It's just not practical.
Image

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:42 pm

yep i'm becoming my dad too, there's only 2 reasons i drive a car now 1 is to get to work and 2 is to fetch the kids on a weekend.

driving was fun for me 10 years ago, now i despise it, i really hate cars, i may be in the wrong job :lol:

my current motor is a vw passat 1.9td estate, a real dad's motor :oops:

worst thing about it is, me being single, driving a motor like that and when girls see the kids seats in the back what chance have i got??? :lol:

User avatar
boggyb68
Posts: 2194
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:56 am
Location: On the planet of the Wardrobe Monsters...

Post by boggyb68 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:12 pm

SexyWayne wrote:yep i'm becoming my dad too, there's only 2 reasons i drive a car now 1 is to get to work and 2 is to fetch the kids on a weekend.

driving was fun for me 10 years ago, now i despise it, i really hate cars, i may be in the wrong job :lol:

my current motor is a vw passat 1.9td estate, a real dad's motor :oops:

worst thing about it is, me being single, driving a motor like that and when girls see the kids seats in the back what chance have i got??? :lol:
Lower it, put "Lexus" style rear lights on it, big "Phat" 20" spinners, 200 watt mega woofer in the back, neons on all panels, blacked out windows...

Or you could just take out the child seats when you haven't got the kids.... :)

B.
Pinkle Squirmy Blip Blip Blip

Image

User avatar
sleeper77
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:14 pm

Post by sleeper77 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:19 pm

Katzkatz wrote: I noticed the older version and it does look like a very pretty car, especially in silver! I like Hondas as I used to have an old CRX and love the old VTEC in it. You have to give them some revs but they do reward with a lot of fun. Does it come with cruise control? That is another thing I modded to my current car (a bit boring I know, but it comes in useful).
I don't know about the older generation but the last Prelude did have cruise control which was quite nice on a quiet motorway. You are right about Hondas needing plenty of revs to get the best acceleration. It took probably 6,000+rpms to really get the VTEC kicking in on the Prelude.

As what some have been saying, I would not dream about modifying a car anymore. I also thought it was a waste of money changing all the bits and pieces only for 15bhp extra. Thankfully I didn't do anything to the Prelude, apart from the induction kit which I replaced back to the normal air filter as it was wasting twice as much fuel. The car was beautiful the way it was. Everyone else that I saw had a Prelude were fitting bigger alloys, lowering the suspensionm, adding bodykits and fitting backboxes which did not suit the car at all.

User avatar
Katzkatz
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:29 pm

The lack of torque at low revs makes town driving a bit of pain in the VTECs (but you can live with it, because the gear change is so good at least it was in my old CRX). The CRX was a great car it was reliable and come nip and tuck around the London traffic, plus I could get away with using some of the motorcycle parking bays!!!! Hey it is difficult to find parking in London!!!! Plus I took it on a trip to the Yorkshire moors and went a bit wild on the open roads up there!! Don't worry I didn't crash!!! I have to use the motorways quite a lot so cruise control makes it easier.

Does the Prelude have 4 wheel steering? It is mentioned on a few websites.

User avatar
SexyWayne
Posts: 4485
Joined: Sat May 19, 2007 10:20 pm
Location: Kidderminster, UK

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:10 pm

boggyb68 wrote:
SexyWayne wrote:yep i'm becoming my dad too, there's only 2 reasons i drive a car now 1 is to get to work and 2 is to fetch the kids on a weekend.

driving was fun for me 10 years ago, now i despise it, i really hate cars, i may be in the wrong job :lol:

my current motor is a vw passat 1.9td estate, a real dad's motor :oops:

worst thing about it is, me being single, driving a motor like that and when girls see the kids seats in the back what chance have i got??? :lol:
Lower it, put "Lexus" style rear lights on it, big "Phat" 20" spinners, 200 watt mega woofer in the back, neons on all panels, blacked out windows...

Or you could just take out the child seats when you haven't got the kids.... :)

B.
you have any idea how much hassle it is putting child seats back in?? :lol: feckin things :twisted:

big speakers are out of the question too, heavy metal doesn't sound too clever through subs, i was thinking about getting some later model alloys for it, then i thought the wheels on it are already round with round rubber on em so why bother :lol:

can't be arsed with cars anymore tbh

User avatar
C=Style
Posts: 9053
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm
Contact:

Post by C=Style » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:09 am

boggyb68 wrote: Lower it, put "Lexus" style rear lights on it, big "Phat" 20" spinners, 200 watt mega woofer in the back, neons on all panels, blacked out windows...

Or you could just take out the child seats when you haven't got the kids.... :)

B.
Yeah that's good if he wants to attract 14 year old girls.
Image

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26847
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:50 am

this thread title does rather assume everyone was a boy racer. Not me. Never bothered learning to drive, but I did have a bike for a while and that teaches you to respect the road pretty quick. Imho all drivers should have an enforced period of bike riding during training before they get in a car. Nothing teaches you to be wary of other drivers' unpredictable behaviour quite like saving your own skin and a near miss on a corner a little too fast doesn't half put the willies up you.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests