CEX going bust?

When the other folders just won't do!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

321CannonFodder

CEX going bust?

Post by 321CannonFodder » Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:29 pm

About 4 weeks a go I went for a part time job at a newly opening CEX in Bolton.

The person who gave me the interview said it would be opening in 6 weeks and id hear back in the next few weeks still not heard anything. Now some one told me it’s now not opening any more.

As they are in finical difficulty apparently they have had bailiffs coming around to a number of there stores as they can’t afford the bills.
Plus they have had to pay staff with cash out the till as they haven’t got the cash in the bank and it was nearly a week late.

From what I have heard they could go bust any time this month. Does anyone else know if this is true or has anyone heard anything else?

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:05 pm

Hope it doesn't go bust - otherwise it means the chavs / pikies will have to go back to crime to make their cash. Don't get me wrong, its one of the few places to get retro but its over priced and the staff are brain dead loosers.

Cracking rant for my 3000th post though!!!!!
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:43 pm

CEX did issue this statement a week ago.
Some rumours have circulated that CeX is insolvent.
For the record: CeX is not insolvent.
CeX was on the wrong end of a severe bank clerical error and a small number of cheques were returned. CeX apologises to any customers affected by this and will be issuing new cheques to customers and will also be issuing an extra £10 voucher by way of an apology.
If your cheque was returned please contact our wecare team at wecare@webuy.com
Many Thanks

Dominic Durante
Ecommerce Manager
I offer no editorial at all.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:49 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:Hope it doesn't go bust - otherwise it means the chavs / pikies will have to go back to crime to make their cash. Don't get me wrong, its one of the few places to get retro but its over priced and the staff are brain dead loosers.

Cracking rant for my 3000th post though!!!!!
Nah, the new stuff is overpriced (Super Smash Bros. Brawl £45!) but most of the retro is OK, or at least comparable to average Ebay prices.
ImageImage

RetroPassion - still live and kicking!
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

James A

Post by James A » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:42 am

Generally the retro stuf is priced o.k. I've had a few nice bits and pieces off them. Staff are generally idiots especially the one who walked off for 15 minutes half way through serving me the other week.

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:52 am

Bub&Bob wrote:Hope it doesn't go bust - otherwise it means the chavs / pikies will have to go back to crime to make their cash.
Go back to? What do you think Cash (aka Crime) Converters is used for?!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

vp002

Post by vp002 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:43 am

Dear all,

Im not surprised if they are i mean £40 for COD on the ps3 !!!!

RObbery !

vp002

carmel1

Post by carmel1 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:48 am

As far as i remember CeX (esp. the one in London's w/e) severely cut back on it's retro section, it's now mainly Japenese console stuff i.e Nint. sega sony, nec etc)

I think they cut back because the peep that original set up the retro section (when it was based at whitfield street) left the company after a big falling out with the management (from what i heard) and went on to set up his own shop in west london (shepherds bush) which i don't think is there any more

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:03 am

While its nice to have somewhere to buy PS1 games, cex going bust wouldnt excatly upset me, by and large their staff a effing useless the amount of times and different stores ive been in where i had to actually demand someone serve me are beyond belief.

Alex Ferguson

Post by Alex Ferguson » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:21 am

For exchanges, they're the worst. They gave me £2.50 for about 6 DVDs that I know they'd sell on for at least £10 altogether. I know they have to make profit, but their markup is totally out of proportion.

Antiriad2097

Re: CEX going bust?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:37 am

321CannonFodder wrote:The person who gave me the interview said it would be opening in 6 weeks and id hear back in the next few weeks still not heard anything.
I think you can assume that interview didn't go too well then ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:54 pm

Alex Ferguson wrote:For exchanges, they're the worst. They gave me £2.50 for about 6 DVDs that I know they'd sell on for at least £10 altogether. I know they have to make profit, but their markup is totally out of proportion.
Nah, 75% isn't that far out when you are talking about used DVDs that may stay on the shelf for ever. If you was talking about games that retail much higher then maybe.
I think CEX are alright. Shops are always grubby, but its like a car boot sale with a roof.

Dudley

Post by Dudley » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:58 pm

Alex Ferguson wrote:For exchanges, they're the worst. They gave me £2.50 for about 6 DVDs that I know they'd sell on for at least £10 altogether. I know they have to make profit, but their markup is totally out of proportion.
I'd have said their problem is the exact opposite, they pay far too much for games tradeins.
Yesterzine - The Literal Magazine Show
http://yesterzine.co.uk | @Yesterzine on Twitter | yesterzineshow@gmail.com

SexyWayne

Re: CEX going bust?

Post by SexyWayne » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:37 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
321CannonFodder wrote:The person who gave me the interview said it would be opening in 6 weeks and id hear back in the next few weeks still not heard anything.
I think you can assume that interview didn't go too well then ;)
sorry for the off topic, but you never get this with the motor trade, if you have any chance of getting a job in this trade it's offered to you there and then, if they say you'll hear from us in the next week you ain't got it, at least in my experience anyway, trying not to blow my own trumpet here but i can't even remember the last real job interview i've had, normally i get a phone call off whoever wants to give me a job, so i go and tell them what i want :twisted: , i've been in this trade too long to have the pi55 taken and they know that too

anyway back on topic, i bought assassin's creed from gamestation last week in a 2 for £25 deal tonight i was looking through the manual and there was a receipt tucked inside from may of this year, the receipt states that the buyer paid £14.99 for the game after a £20 discount somehow, so the game goes out for 14.99, gets traded back in for i can only assume less, and i then buy it for £12.50 surely thats running at a loss???

video-gamer-girl

Post by video-gamer-girl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:49 am

I hate Cex shops now, to damn expensive for my likings